Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Plastic "pie dish"

My LHT has this round piece of plastic behind the rear cassette. What is the purpose of this? Does it protect the cassette?

It's there in case the chain would come off and get stuck between the cassette and the spokes. If that would happen, the wheel would seize.

It's a very rare occurrence, since the low limit screw on the RD as well as the whole design of a derailleur system should prevent it. Still, if it does happen it could be catastrophic, which is why manufacturers are required to put the pie plate on. But they're at best messy, and at worst clattery and noisy, which is why most people take them off.

There's also a bit of peer pressure, as they're considered geeky, but obviously that's no reason to do anything; and weight weenies like to save the couple of dozen grams.

I'd ignore it unless it's making noise or making it unreasonably hard to clean your cassette.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 10-16-2010 at 04:37 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    It's there in case the chain would come off and get stuck between the cassette and the spokes. If that would happen, the wheel would seize.

It's a very rare occurrence, since the high limit screw on the RD as well as the whole design of a derailleur system should prevent it. Still, if it does happen it could be catastrophic, which is why manufacturers are required to put the pie plate on. But they're at best messy, and at worst clattery and noisy, which is why most people take them off.

There's also a bit of peer pressure, as they're considered geeky, but obviously that's no reason to do anything; and weight weenies like to save the couple of dozen grams.

I'd ignore it unless it's making noise or making it unreasonably hard to clean your cassette.

This actually happened to ME...so I speak from experience. My chain did fall into the spokes as I was trying to downshift into an easier gear while climbing a hill. The wheel did seize, but luckily I had unclipped beforehand and was able to avoid, what could have been a nasty fall. This happened on my Cervelo, which already had the "dork disk" removed. My current Cannondale, also had it removed before I took the bike home. But my "backup" Trek bike, still has it...and I have no intentions of removing it.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

It's never bothered me. I just left it. But then, I'm a "road geek."
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

My new bike has one but it's small and black so it's not too noticeable. I'm not planning to remove it.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

My LBS removed it immediately without asking once I paid for the bike. I think they are so used to roadies asking for it to be taken off, they just do it to save time.

Took the bike home, and my bike nerd friend went to work removing all the stickers, spoke reflectors and front reflector.

Went in for a mega bike re-fit a few months ago, and my bike fitter mumbled something about 'looking like a noob' as snatched the rear reflector off as well.

I asked if this was a bad idea and he noted that the reflector was blocked by my seat pack anyway and I already attach blinky LED lights to the front and back of my bike when I need them (they live in my seat pack at all times).

All these people dedicated to keeping me from looking like a bike dork, and yet they do this while wearing the tackiest racing kit designs I have ever seen.
    'You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you'll find you get what you need.' - Mick & Keith