Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Looks like Titus is back...
    That's pretty awesome

i've seen a couple of good reviews on titus customer service under the new owners. glad they're back. hope they keep making bikes for the little ones.

i have an xs motolite with a low standover that i keep toying with selling. i think of selling it, i get interested buyers, but i can't seem to bring myself to do it. it works, it fits, its FUN. definitely get one if you can find an xs or an xxs.

I am 5'1" and ride a santa cruz juliana xs. I love it.

I'm also 5ft 1in tall but I ride a S-sized Santa Cruz Juliana. Great ride.

I am starting to look around for a FS bike that might fit me. My TT on my custom bike is 500mm, so this is going to be challenging. I know that there is a different geometry to consider, and it is a different style of riding, but there is only so much variation possible in this department.

I do not yet know if I will get it this year or next spring - but with my assorted body parts that like to complain I have decided that FS is the way to go if/when I do go forward with this. No reason to subject myself to more pain than I need to!

Of course, I am probably deluding myself at the ability to go FS this year - the Gunnar is costing enough I am also looking at hardtails, but am glad that I decided to wait until after the clinic...

Safire v. Anthem

Quote Originally Posted by tzvia View Post
    Same issue here but I've got a 28 inch inseam. Went to six shops to try bikes and was disappointed till I tried a Specialized Safire and then ordered the S-Works. Not all-mountain, more a trail bike, but it is a fantastic ride with a short top tube and good standover. I also have a Giant Anthem that fits well.
    Tzvia, or anyone else who might have some feedback,
    I see you rode the Specialized Safire, but own the Giant Anthem W.

I'm considering both of them right now. The Safire Expert 2010, and the Giant Anthem W1 (2011). They are different, but I'm stuck regarding Specialized's brain technology, and the Talas fork (more options, more travel), and a $1000 discount off of last year's model ($3300 down to $2300). Both fit okay, but the geometry and feel is definitely different. Unfortunately the two bikes are in two different towns (an hour away), so I haven't been able to ride them back to back to really compare.

My gut tells me to go with the Giant, just because it feels faster and more responsive, and everyone says the components on it are awesome. The Safire Expert has a rear X.0 derailleur, though (Giant Anthem 1 is XTR).

Thoughts?

I don't like the fit of the Safire for me (top tube felt too compressed) but love my Epic. Here is what I love about it: customizability to the Nth degree. The brain is a bit overwhelming but it is a really awesome addition once you figure it out. When I first got my Epic it felt like a trail bike (super squishy) and I was shocked since it has 4" of travel instead of 5". Then I dialed in my Brain shock to give me a good happy medium. You can almost go completely to making it feel like a hardtail. I did notice the Safire is carbon, not sure if frame composition matters.

Not familiar with the Giant but I did notice that is their race bike. So you're really comparing two very different engineering goals. The Specialized is a trail bike which should have more travel (I think it is 5" vs 4" on the Giant) and a plusher ride but will feel slower. I am on my first race geometry bike and I feel like the bike wants to go! So that would explain your reaction. My husband's friend just got an Anthem this spring and has nothing but great things to say about it.

I wouldn't hang my decision on components like drvietrain over fit and forks, the drivetrain on mountain bikes tend to have short life and you can always upgrade the deraileaur.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Of course, I am probably deluding myself at the ability to go FS this year - the Gunnar is costing enough I am also looking at hardtails, but am glad that I decided to wait until after the clinic...
    hmmmmm, seems like something changed since I posted this

I did not, however, realize at the time that there were 29ers for short people that isn't custom. This is probably a good thing as I think they are a good deal more expensive than my squishy mountain goat!

Quote Originally Posted by bpchik View Post
    Tzvia, or anyone else who might have some feedback,
    I see you rode the Specialized Safire, but own the Giant Anthem W.

I'm considering both of them right now. The Safire Expert 2010, and the Giant Anthem W1 (2011). They are different, but I'm stuck regarding Specialized's brain technology, and the Talas fork (more options, more travel), and a $1000 discount off of last year's model ($3300 down to $2300). Both fit okay, but the geometry and feel is definitely different. Unfortunately the two bikes are in two different towns (an hour away), so I haven't been able to ride them back to back to really compare.

My gut tells me to go with the Giant, just because it feels faster and more responsive, and everyone says the components on it are awesome. The Safire Expert has a rear X.0 derailleur, though (Giant Anthem 1 is XTR).

Thoughts?
    Yes, they feel very different. The Giant feels more 'quick'; I'm in more of an attack position with a flatter back and the top tube is longer. The suspension is awesome but mine is an '08 with only 3.5" in the rear and 80mm up front. The Safire suspension is more firm feeling, the ride is more upright with a shorter top tube, and it has over an inch more suspension front and rear. The brain is awesome. I don't touch a thing during the ride, it's stiff when I hammer and more active in the rough. The Giant bobs a bit under power and I tend to flick the propedal on '2' in the rear. Sometimes I lock out the fork too on long climbs to stop the bobbing. On the Safire, I just motor along and it does it all by itself.

As for the X0 vs XTR- I've got a mix of XT/XTR on the Giant and XO on the Safire. Between the two, I now prefer the X0. Close, but I just like the feel of the levers.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

Bikes for petite women

I am in the process of buying a new mountain bike, and am 5', 27" inseam, and weight 100lbs. I want a serious bike, and after researching it for several months, here is what I came up with. The Santa Cruz Juliana (XS frame size) and the Pivot Mach 4 (xs or xxs frame sizes). I demoed both bikes and they are both great. The currrent president of Pivot Cycles used to be the president of Titus Cyles. This does not surprise me as when I went to Moab and rented a bike, the bike I rented there was a Titus Titanium in a very small size frame. That too was a great bike, and the only one that fit me after going to several bike stores in Moab. Hope this helps.

I recently sold an XS Titus Racer-X. This was an older model (early 2000s), and I'm not sure if the frame geometry changed over the years, but it would be too tall for someone with a 27" inseam. My inseam is around 28.5" to 29", and it fit me perfectly, but if my inseam were any less, I would have needed the XXS. I had about 1" of clearance when I stood over it, which is actually less than what is recommended for mountain bikes, but I didn't do anything technical, so it worked for me since the effective top tube length was perfect for me.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow