Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

destination ideas...?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just bought my BOB trailer and am planning next year's vacations. I want to do ride on my own (well, with a friend). There are so many places to go in the country. I am hoping I can get some ideas of places you all have been. I am in Indiana but am willing to drive some place, park, and go from there.

Any suggestions are welcome!
    Shelly

Litespeed Tuscany, 650s (Mojito)
    Giant FCR - commuting (Dora Dempsey)
    Trek 7.2 FX - casual trail riding (Hallie)
    Specialized Mica Elite (Blaze)

Some of my favorite rides have been in Tennessee. I've done organized tours there, but it's a very doable area on your own, too. Lots of good roads with wide shoulders. I'd like to do a long weekend out of Franklin Tennessee soon. That's just south of Nashville. There are some good cycling guide books of the area btw.

DH and I are planning on the Katy Trail next year. We're also hoping to visit the Finger Lakes area of New York, although we also plan to do some hiking.

We're also in Indiana. How far are you willing to drive? Our limit is about 10 hours at the point. With that in mind, Michigan and Wisconsin are good options, too. Some friend did a self supported tour along the Western shore of Michigan a fews ago. They had a great time.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

The C&O Canal towpath and the Great Allegheny Passage are popular in these parts.
    This is another trail I'd like to ride
    Last edited by Zen; 09-22-2010 at 07:11 PM.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

h

I'm not in the US but if i was going to do a tour up there, i'd find some of the most historical places & ride there.

Can you bike near on the Appalaichan (sp, sorry) trail? I know there's a nice YHA near the start....

Follow the underground railroad route?

Sorry to be vague but what about on the west coast? (can't think of the two explorers at the mo but the ones that opened up the west...)

Have fun!

Yha

Oops, different names accross the world..

www.hihostels.com (hostelling international up north) http://www.hihostels.com/dba/country-US.en.htm?himap=Y
    www.yha.com.au (YHA in Australia..)

The hostel i'm probably thinking of is "Knoxville-Harpers ferry"...I have vague memories of it but isn't there a train from DC to Harpers ferry ....

I also stayed at the one in DC..interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    Can you bike near on the Appalaichan (sp, sorry) trail? I know there's a nice YHA near the start....
    Bikes are not allowed on the A.T., except in two areas where the trail is coalligned with the C&O Trail and the Virginia Creeper Trail.

There are a ton of resources available at www.adventurecycling.org for self-supported touring.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

The Yukon. I'm just back and loved it to bits. Big spaces, little traffic (and even then it's friendly and safe), stunning scenery. Just magnificent.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Head towards the west coast. There's enough of us here.
    I just wrote this today. Now can you resist this gorgeous scenery? You can rent a kayak in this area by the beach.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I think I should have started cycling YEARS ago! So many places! I would like to get out of the midwest at least once a year!
    Shelly

I know that Utah is quite some distance from Indiana, still it's a beautiful state to bicycle tour in!

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Some of my favorite rides have been in Tennessee. I've done organized tours there, but it's a very doable area on your own, too. Lots of good roads with wide shoulders. I'd like to do a long weekend out of Franklin Tennessee soon. That's just south of Nashville. There are some good cycling guide books of the area btw.
    I just did a brevet on the Natchez Trace, just by Franklin and Nashville. We only rode the portion from Nashville down to Tupelo, and back, but it was just about the most perfect cycling you could ask for. No shoulders, but we were probably passed by 50 cars on the whole 300-mile ride.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
    I just did a brevet on the Natchez Trace, just by Franklin and Nashville. We only rode the portion from Nashville down to Tupelo, and back, but it was just about the most perfect cycling you could ask for. No shoulders, but we were probably passed by 50 cars on the whole 300-mile ride.
    This sounds really nice! I might have to consider this for the future

the sparta-elroy trail is fun. in mid-wisconsin. easy rails-to-trails grade with 3 tunnels. A yummy pie place at the bottom of one of the hills. And it connects to lots of other trails in the area. We love that trail
    Alison - mama of 2 (8yo and 6yo)
    2009 Independent Fabrication steel Crown Jewel SE
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

Come to WA state....I'll ride with you. Lots of options. I've been looking at riding up in BC too (Victoria, Nanaimo, Tofino).
    We do not take a trip; a trip takes us - John Steinbeck

So many places...so little vacation time.

I very much want to go West. Dog - definitely would love to ride with you! BC...count me in.

All of these suggestions are WONDERFUL! I'm using the winter as a time to plan.

And btw, I am not opposed to going overseas.
    Shelly