Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: SingleSpeed?

SingleSpeed?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Everyone, This is my first post on this forum-yahoo! Just wondering if anyone has any experience with singlespeed mtb riding? I have always ridden a geared mtb and love it, but I see ss riders out there and they are virtually always men. Why? I know it looks hardcore, but ditching all those gears has to make the bike at least a bit lighter! Even at local races I notice that there might be 15 men in the ss category but you'd be lucky to find even one female.

So, I'm curious about the whole ss gig. What are the benefits and why do you do it? Will ss riding make me a better & stronger rider? 26" versus 29", does it make a difference? rear suspension or hardtail? And what brands of bikes are recommended for a first time ss rider?

I haven't tried it (yet) so I have no useful info for you. However, as someone who is mechanically challenged...I wish I had the leg strength for a singlespeed! I get so tired of chain and derailleur problems that I'm too confused by to fix on my own. I'm going to get one someday, I swear!

I know some people who have one will chime in soon with advice. Good luck!

I love it! My SS is a rigid 29er (Salsa El Mariachi). I went with a 29er because I could get higher volume tires for it and because my local trails are well suited to a 29er. I went rigid because it was a good way to save money initially, and now I enjoy the simiplicity of it. No messing with a suspension fork.

My El Mar is definitely lighter than my geared full-suspension, but it's like comparing apples to oranges there.

I do it because I enjoy the simplicity of it, the leg-burning, lung-busting workout, and the quietness of riding a gearless bike. It has definitely made me a stronger, smarter rider. I use my momentum more effectively, pick smarter lines, and push myself beyond what I think I'm capable of.

There's plenty of women SS riders out there, just look harder.

I built mine. I converted an old Pro Mongoose titanium hardtail into a 21 lb machine that dances with the trail.

I do it because I enjoy the simplicity of it, the leg-burning, lung-busting workout, and the quietness of riding a gearless bike. It has definitely made me a stronger, smarter rider. I use my momentum more effectively, pick smarter lines, and push myself beyond what I think I'm capable of.
    Yep, that's it, more or less.

I take mine to my regular trails that I ride all the time. It's a nice way to change it up. I talked to quite a few locals when I built mine, to go with a suggested gear ratio. I think it's a 32-17. It's flattish- moderately rolling terrain which makes it lots of fun.

In addition, it's supposed to be very good conditioning, very good for the knees, forces you to be dynamic rider, and it's totally fun. If it's any consolation my hubby thinks I am nuts.

Many people build a ss out of a spare bike or a craig's list special. It's a very easy conversion. You can buy them already made too.

Last edited by Irulan; 10-19-2010 at 04:59 AM.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I'm also a SS MTB rider (although I also have a geared bike). As others have said, the simplicity of the ride is a huge benefit. It is different, though, than riding a geared bike - momentum is more important, line choice is more important, etc. I ride my SS (it is a SS-specific frame from Soul Cycles) anywhere I would normally ride my MTB.

I also have a SS 'cross bike. This is an awesome ride both on the trails and on the road. I have raced it at the 'cross races, and it isn't a hindrance (except in the final sprint!).

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

I LOVE SSing. 29er is the way to go. Once you build up that momentum it is so much easier to crank down on the pedals while you are standing up on a 29er than a 26er and keep it rolling.

SSing works the heck out of your core and shoulders - it is a whole body thing. It makes your legs super strong climbing and makes you efficient spinning your brains out on the flats.

SSing may wreck your knees if you SS everyday - mix it up with gears some days for a bueno time.

I have a Voodoo Zaka which is 29er and can be set up as a SS or a geared bike. I also have a SS FS bike, a Lenz Milk Money, which is a really, really fun rig to play around on.

Next question if you get into SSing is gearing