Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Tania,

Thanks for chiming in on this thread. Sorry we all spelled your name wrong!

I'll personally give some thought to the June clinic. It's definitely something I'd like to try.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I have heard good things about the Jamis Dragon, know several who have one. I guess they use Reynolds 843 steel for it's weight and strength.

Surlypacer, I see you have a Gunnar Sport as well as the LHT. How do they compare with each other? Is the Gunnar Sport a full touring bike like the LHT or is it different?
    My Jamis Dragon is 531 steel. Either the older models or the higher end models are 853 steel.

The Gunnar Sport is much more like a road bike than a full touring bike. It has the relaxed geometry like a touring bike (very long wheel base, slacker angles to seat tube and head tube) but it has a lighter weight frame (853 or OX platinum steel) and is built with road bike components. It's a luxo sport touring bike, extremely comfy ride.

The LHT is very comfy, and will carry anything I can manage to strap on it, but is like a tank - slow and heavy. I think my LHT rides better with a full load on it.
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by surlypacer View Post
    My Jamis Dragon is 531 steel. Either the older models or the higher end models are 853 steel.

The Gunnar Sport is much more like a road bike than a full touring bike. It has the relaxed geometry like a touring bike (very long wheel base, slacker angles to seat tube and head tube) but it has a lighter weight frame (853 or OX platinum steel) and is built with road bike components. It's a luxo sport touring bike, extremely comfy ride.

The LHT is very comfy, and will carry anything I can manage to strap on it, but is like a tank - slow and heavy. I think my LHT rides better with a full load on it.
    Thanks for the comparison on the Gunnar Sport and the LHT. I love Ms. Explorer - and it sounds like the Sport might be a nice choice as a go-faster bike should I go with Gunnar rather than Luna.

Thanks for the comparison on the Gunnar Sport and the LHT. I love Ms. Explorer - and it sounds like the Sport might be a nice choice as a go-faster bike should I go with Gunnar rather than Luna.
    The smallest stock Gunnar Sport frames have 650c size wheels (not 700c size wheels). Gunnar frames cost around $800 retail for stock sizes. They will make custom geometry sizes of their frames for $300 more. So $1100 is not a bad price for a custom steel frame, compared to other custom frame prices out there.

If you are fitting well on a Surly LHT, you might consider a Pacer for a road frame.

My Gunnar Sport is a custom geometry frame, it's a 50cm effective top tube size with 700c size wheels. I was thinking of getting a custom Gunnar in this size, but then this one that was some else's custom size came up on ebay, and it just happened to be the size I need......
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by surlypacer View Post
    The smallest stock Gunnar Sport frames have 650c size wheels (not 700c size wheels). Gunnar frames cost around $800 retail for stock sizes. They will make custom geometry sizes of their frames for $300 more. So $1100 is not a bad price for a custom steel frame, compared to other custom frame prices out there.

If you are fitting well on a Surly LHT, you might consider a Pacer for a road frame.

My Gunnar Sport is a custom geometry frame, it's a 50cm effective top tube size with 700c size wheels. I was thinking of getting a custom Gunnar in this size, but then this one that was some else's custom size came up on ebay, and it just happened to be the size I need......
    Thanks for this information - I want lighter steel than is available for the Pacer. That is why I will go with either a Luna or custom Gunnar for a road bike. I am really looking forward to trying out mountain biking though - and if I do like it then that bike will come before a light steel road bike.

Tania (or anybody else who knows the answer),

When does registration typically begin for the clinic? Is there a mailing list or listserve that I could get onto so that I would receive any information about the clinic?

Thanks!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post

When does registration typically begin for the clinic? Is there a mailing list or listserve that I could get onto so that I would receive any information about the clinic?

Thanks!
    I know there is a website for it here, if there is another resource for information it would be great information to have.

I know there is a website for it here, if there is another resource for information it would be great information to have.
    I was aware of the website, but it doesn't indicate when registration begins. Not that I expected it to since the clinic isn't until June. That's why I wanted to get on an email list if one exists.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I was aware of the website, but it doesn't indicate when registration begins. Not that I expected it to since the clinic isn't until June. That's why I wanted to get on an email list if one exists.
    That makes sense, and I would as well. It sounds like a lot of fun and would be quite beneficial!

I've got my eye on the Midwest Women's Mountain Bike Clinic, too, and did find what appears to be a sign-up for the clinic newsletter (and possibly others from the event company, dunno). A bit buried, but on the left side of the contact page.

http://midwestwomensclinic.com/contact.html
    Kim

Specialized Dolce Sport Compact (roadie)
    Specialized Ariel Sport Disc (commuter)
    Trek GF X-Caliber WSD (mtb)
    "Sally" Schwinn Mesa Runner (steel, old, old stand-by)

My blog - this, that, travel, garden, bikes, fitness, family, whatever

Awesome! Thanks!

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by kimikaw View Post
    I've got my eye on the Midwest Women's Mountain Bike Clinic, too, and did find what appears to be a sign-up for the clinic newsletter (and possibly others from the event company, dunno). A bit buried, but on the left side of the contact page.

http://midwestwomensclinic.com/contact.html
    Awesome, thanks! I had looked but somehow missed the link before. I have heard of Sub-9 before, they are at least a promoter of MTB events in Indiana and the Midwest. I just visited their site and found my fitter and his wife's name on the main page

I don't have much to add other than DH has a Gunnar. He's had it for 12+ years and its still his favorite bike to ride on the trails.

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    I don't have much to add other than DH has a Gunnar. He's had it for 12+ years and its still his favorite bike to ride on the trails.

Good to know this, thanks! I have heard many good things about Gunnar. With Margo not taking any new orders, at least for now, I may well wind up with a Gunnar (at least for a go-faster road bike). Time will tell on the mountain bike.

Thanks!
    Looks like you found the info! Registration normally starts in March, but if I open it any earlier I will be sure to post here. A newsletter will also go out for when registration begins.

If you're on Facebook, you can also keep tabs at www.facebook.com/midwestwomensclinic.