Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

What are premiums??

To disable ads, please log-in.

So...I'm thinking of registering for a 5-miler (gulp!).

Registration page talks about "premiums."

As in:
    "Out-of-town Premium Pickup
    We intend to coordinate out-of-town premium pickup in Annapolis, Arlington, Columbia, and Silver Spring on the weekend of December 11th."

and

"Premium pickup hours
    All entrants may pick up their race premium and race bib number at Falls Road Running Store Saturday December 11 through Friday Dec. 17th at 5PM. Race premium and bib numbers are also available for pick up on race day at the race site under the big tent. Timing chips are picked-up on race day only and must be returned after you cross the finish line."

and

"Women's Essential Run 1/2 Zip Premium
    Perfect cover for those in-between days between seasons, this high-performance top is also an effective layering style in colder weather, with a longer zipper for greater ventilation. Includes articulated sleeves and thumbholes. Suggested retail is $55."

So...what is this "premium" of which they speak????
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Wow. I have no idea. Is this race run by one of those huge national companies?

I don't think so.
    This is the race.

Sounds like they're using it as a snobby synonym for "shirt." But my second thought is...that looks like a cool design, I wish I could run that one!

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    Sounds like they're using it as a snobby synonym for "shirt." But my second thought is...that looks like a cool design, I wish I could run that one!
    Yeah, I'm reading it the same way - your race swag shirt. Never heard the term used that way before, though.

Quote Originally Posted by colby View Post
    Yeah, I'm reading it the same way - your race swag shirt. Never heard the term used that way before, though.
    Thanks. That's what I thought, too - the race schwag. But that 1/4 zip top "premium" is above and beyond the event t-shirt that comes with registration.

Maybe it's "anything other than your timing chip.". Guess it's not a common term then.

Must be local to your area, because I've never heard it before either, but when I googled it, the only thing that came up was a Baltimore event where runners got some pretty snazzy jackets. So I guess they mean it as a general term to encompass whatever piece of apparel you get with your registration, whether or not it's the usual T-shirt.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Hey 7 - Here's your premium:

http://www.brooksrunning.com/product...LS%201/2%20Zip

I have a bunch of these shirts that I wore when I ran and I LOVE them. Even though I no longer run, I still wear them (because they look nice) and I get lots of compliments from people. Wore one last week to the LBS and everyone thought it was cool.

I think runners get tired of the same old t-shirt that they get at races so it's nice to have the option of getting something different. The Annapolis 10-miler is famous for having a different "premium" every year and the runners love the idea.
    Specialized Amira Expert WSD, Ruby Expert
    Trek Madone 5.2 WSD, Bontrager Affinity 2 WSD
    Trek Madone 4.5 WSD, Bontrager Affinity 1 WSD

Wow! That's a nice "premium." I might fly to Baltimore to get one...Ha Ha Just kidding. It sure beats the same ole t-shirts, huh? And for a 5 mile run, that's pretty cool!

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme