Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Knee Pain - Need Advice

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello all.

I've been having some knee pain on rides over 5 miles. I'm 23 years old and in pretty decent shape. The pain stops soon after I stop riding. I don't have knee pain otherwise. I've been riding around 50 miles weekly for about three years, less in January and February. I'm mostly a commuter but I also ride for fun and in some long tours and races.

I think the problem might be related to my bike since I recently borrowed my friend's bike and didn't have the same problem. I have a K2 T:Nine Sapphire hybrid from 2005. I've been riding it for about 5 years without significant problems. Previously, I would get the same pain, but I would have to ride about 50 miles in roughly a half-day before it would start. The frame is particularly short length-wise, even though it is supposedly within my height range. When the pain occurs, I get the feeling that I can't extend my legs far enough when I push the pedals to the ground. My feet also want to ride up on the pedals so my heel is almost touching my pedal.

I'm thinking of getting a new bike, not necessarily because of this problem, but pretty glad that I might be able to alleviate it. I would really appreciate any advice/suggestions regarding... a) a new bike/bike style that would help alleviate the knee pain...b) adjustments to my old bike to help alleviate knee pain...c) stretches/other lifestyle changes that might help allevaite knee pain. d) what you know about bikes and the way they interact with our bodies, our knees.

So many thanks,

Lindsey

Where on the knee does it hurt? In front, in back, inside or outside?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

You're on regular pedals, then? No clips? When you walk long distances, do you have any knee issues?
    Lookit, grasshopper....

Have you ever had anyone with some expertise like a LBS check you and the bike for fit? Or had them watch you ride? Any chance you could have someone video you riding, so you can watch yourself or show a fitter or Dr? I'd talk with my doctor too.

I have knee pain from riding but it is related to both rheumatoid and osteo arthritis and bike riding helps lessen the pain. It only hurts when my knee is contracted and not when it's extended. The first few minutes of a ride are painful but it gets better as I go and when I am in full riding season it's only a matter of a few cranks to have the pain go away.

When I'm feeling exceptionally stiff I only pedal with one leg for the first few cranks and that's no easy feat considering I am not clipped to a pedal. The pain I experience is almost all on the front inside of my kneecap, but I know that I have no cushioning left in the joint and it's bone on bone.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Your saddle is probably too low.

Raise it a quarter inch at a time, see if that changes things.

Might be too far forward, also, but I'd start by raising it first.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I guess I read the OP the opposite way - that her knee is fully extended at the bottom of the pedal stroke and she really has to reach for it. Then at the top of the pedal stroke, her knee is excessively flexed, so her foot slides forward on the pedal.

I vote for crankarms too long ... but I'm biased because it's such an issue for me.

SoInTents87 - is your issue that your knee is not extending enough, or too much??
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler