Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Love 2 Commute

To disable ads, please log-in.

This winter I started commuting to work and I love it!! It makes my day so wonderful and stress free. I live in southeastern North Carolina and it has been so cold. But, with the proper layering, I have had no problems. I commute 3 days right now, and I am working up to a 4 day commute, using Fridays as my drive to work day to do errands etc. I have ridden in the wind, 20 degree weather in the mornings and light rain. My commute is 4.5 miles one way. I love being car free. Not to mention the morning quiet before the world awakens is amazing. You see things you don't see when your driving. Any one who has been considering commuting should give a try. I feel great, helping the environment, and keeping costs down by not using my car.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    good for you, oceanwaters!!!
    I, too, love the morning commute when it's so quiet and still. That's my absolute favorite time!!! I hope you keep enjoying your commute. Plus, it's kinda fun when people say surprised "you RODE today??"
    But then, I sometimes get the "jerks" who will ask "what- you didn't ride today" when it's snowing or sleeting or like one day last week when the wind chill was below zero and I was sick.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Been a while, was without any internet the past 5 days -- withdrawals anyone?

My winter commuting is right on track, 5/5 last week, running 2/2 so far this week. Been riding my road bike (Radac) cuz it is just more enjoyable to ride and the weather has not been that bad. I liken it to the "If I had my life to live over again" poem ... ride the good stuff.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

My LBH restored my commuter bike's zen. My bruises are fading. This week has been warm and nice. I almost took the Felt to work today. We still have a little ice in the mornings, though, and some puddles from snow melt. I guess I have to be patient a little longer. This week is 4 for 4.

Deb
    2016 Kona Rove ST (M/L 54) WTB Volt
    Camp Stove Green Surly Karate Monkey (M) WTB Volt
    Kona Dew Deluxe (54cm) Brooks B67-S

Almost....

Well, the goal was 4/5 days to commute, I did 3/5....next week....

Continue to Commute

Lovin to commute to work everyday possible. Still working up to 4 days a week, if the weather will give me a chance! Can anyone relate to that? It's so much fun, addictive, and I am also finding creative ways to get my errands done by bike, that includes bringing home a rotiserrie chicken for dinner! I am fortunate that everything I need is right by work. Anyone else doing the same things? How goes it?

0 for 5 this week. Sigh.

Deb
    2016 Kona Rove ST (M/L 54) WTB Volt
    Camp Stove Green Surly Karate Monkey (M) WTB Volt
    Kona Dew Deluxe (54cm) Brooks B67-S

2 for 2 this week. I have to commute on DC's streets since the trail that I normally take is still covered with snow and ice. The best part of my commute this week happened on the way home today. I was behind a car at a traffic light in downtown DC. A little girl (about 10) in the back of the car turned around and looked at me. She turned back around. She turned around again, looked at me and gave me a thumbs up. It made my week.
    Specialized Amira Expert WSD, Ruby Expert
    Trek Madone 5.2 WSD, Bontrager Affinity 2 WSD
    Trek Madone 4.5 WSD, Bontrager Affinity 1 WSD

I biked before the storm, walked until the roads were clear, and biked today. My training definitely has taken a bit of a break but I'm not too worried about that, because I had 2 good runs this weekend, and all the walking I did was not trivial.

The first run was a 5K. I placed in my age category, which was one goal I had for the next 3 years while it is still easy. (When you hit 40, the competition goes up, apparently.) I found the other lady in my category and told her "Congratulations on placing 2nd in our age category!" She looked bewildered.
    "But I was near the end."
    "Well, there were only 2 of us." She laughed and congratulated me on my 1st place.

More importantly than placing, I ran it in 26:38, about a minute faster than my wildest dreams. (Not that I dreamed about this much, or gave it much thought at all.) I was VERY pleased with my time.

The next day I did a trail run with the local multisport group. The powdered snow was like running through sand. We go 45 minutes out and turn around, so overall we sort of finish together. I could barely maintain a jog at the end. When one guy passed me, then stopped running and walked, I walked with him, and possibly we were walking faster than I had been jogging a moment before.

I did that in my vibram five-fingered KSO Trek's. There are muscles in my ankles and the tops of my feet that I didn't know about. Those ached. Worst was my hip that I injured a couple weeks ago. I thought it had healed up, but it ached a whole lot.

With those two runs behind me, I didn't worry too much about missing spin class. I've been better about keeping up on my core exercises too. With all this walking on snowy and icy roads, I've slipped and caught myself so many times it's amazing I haven't fallen or wrenched my back--I attribute this to a stronger core. So I had some motivation to get back to my core exercises!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

4 for 4 this week. Not too much excitement during the commutes. It was extremely windy on Wednesday and I got blown over the double yellow line on the road. Fortunately, no cars were coming. Yesterday morning's commute was very, very cold. My water bottle froze during my 15 mile ride. Looking forward to what looks like warmer temps next week.

Congrats on your running, Melalvai!

Wow, it's been too long...congrats on the running Melalvai, and awesome story, pfunk12! I love love love moments like that on the bike.

So after I was almost done with my overhaul I realized that my shifting problem wasn't just the cables & housing -- my rear derailleur was toast. Darn. So another delay meant 0 for 2 the week before last, then I was on a work trip last week. Tuesday was a snow day...but FINALLY yesterday and today I got the studded tire on the front, bundled up well, and rejoined the commuter ranks!

Yesterday I tied my 9 degree F record (kinda secretly hoped that it was going to be colder ) and just felt overjoyed despite the chill. This morning I was on a complete high - the bike is working perfectly, alpenglow on the mountains, the sun is coming up distinctly earlier...and had just enough time for a reward of an espresso before jumping on the bus. Of course the ice/snow/slush means the pristine bike got re-baptized by winter muck, but it'll be way easier to wipe down with the fresh wax & new chain. YAY winter commuting!!!
    Sit bones = ~135 mm, saddles that work ~ 155cm/6.1 in wide
    2003 da Vinci (custom road/all-rounder)/Terry Butterfly Ti
    1994 Gary Fisher Nirvana (vintage MTB/commuter)/Terry Butterfly Chromoly
    1991 Terry Symmetry (NOS frame/fork, project in progress)
    1973 Raleigh Super Course (project in progress)

Rolling along at 100% bike commuting. We've been pretty fortunate in the Pacific NW, almost balmy compared to other parts of the US.

I've switched back to the SUB and panniers as I am dealing with hip nerve issues since somewhere I whacked out the pelvis. My chiro has been great, I am doing some additional physical therapy and will hopefully be back 100% in not too long.

I told her the time I experience the least amount of pain is when riding. I cannot sit (any leg to hip angle) for more than a few minutes.

Friends said I should get a bike seat chair for work We joked maybe work would let me bring my trainer in and mount my bike for working at my desk. As it is, I have to either kneel on a cushion or stand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    4 for 5 this week (assuming my ride home this evening is completed incident-free ). I tried doing one-legged pedaling drills on my ride home yesterday. My legs feel it - from riding 4 days, not so much b/c of the drills. I am so out of shape.

Today, it was 50 degrees (10 C) at 6 a.m. It's supposed to get a bit over 70 (21 C) this afternoon. I'm quite confident I will have too heavy of clothing on (my lightest LS jersey) and may just be wearing my baselayer (a tech t-) for the ride home. It's been such a cold winter, I have forgotten how to dress for mild days.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

4 for 4 this week. You're right about the weather, 7. It's crazy. Just the other morning I was wearing my PI Amfib tights and this morning I was in shorts and my leg warmers. Last night I commuted home in my shorts and short sleeve jersey. But...I'm not complaining.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    3 for 5 this week. Wish I'd done all 5 because the weather was amazing, but after the bike crash on Tuesday, I drove on Wednesday. Next week I'm aiming for all 5 days.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike