Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

This week is neither "success" nor "failure". The terms just don't apply in a crisis.

I didn't think of commuting as a goal for me, because it is just something I do all the time. But after my daughter's wreck last week I was scared to ride on That Road. So commuting did become a goal for me, and I am proud to report that I rode my bike today! Not as a commute but as a recreational ride with my dad. And not only did I ride the bike, I rode on That Road. Having done it once, I know I can do it again, even coming home and making that fateful left turn. (I might do it as a box turn the first few times.) I plan to commute as usual from now on, and I don't think it will be a problem.

I didn't even think about exercise for several days. I didn't care either. Then I read an article that PTSD can be improved with exercise. So on Thursday, I drove to the gym, did weight machines, and ran on the trail. It felt very strange to drive to the gym, but it felt really good to run.

Then on Friday I drove to the pool and swam, and that didn't feel so good because instead of getting into a good zone I got into a bad zone and got angry. Hopefully next time I swim will be a happier experience.

I did my core workout on Thurs, and I plan to do it tonight.

As far as taking time for myself for my daughter's health, and my own health, I did very well at that. As she got better I slowly got back into work and was even kind of productive on Friday. I'm looking forward to getting lots done next week, and then we go on vacation to Costa Rica!!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Good for you!!!!!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

4 1/2 days the week before last, 4 days last week. Today was sleet, wet and cold. I was glad of my wool layers. Still, I'm surprised it has been so warm up until now.

Deb
    2016 Kona Rove ST (M/L 54) WTB Volt
    Camp Stove Green Surly Karate Monkey (M) WTB Volt
    Kona Dew Deluxe (54cm) Brooks B67-S

gee, been posting some in the other commute thread

So far, I've been able to get my 1 commute per week in. It's given me some trial and error on my lights, clothing layers, night traffic. Even with the weather getting wetter and cooler, still enjoy the time on the bike.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

I took this week off from the main job, so no commutes. Beauty of a day though so I better get out and ride!

Hey Melalvai - take good care of yourself and daughter. One step/day at at time! Hang in there!

Keep it up everyone -- enjoy the deepening dark quietude!
    Sit bones = ~135 mm, saddles that work ~ 155cm/6.1 in wide
    2003 da Vinci (custom road/all-rounder)/Terry Butterfly Ti
    1994 Gary Fisher Nirvana (vintage MTB/commuter)/Terry Butterfly Chromoly
    1991 Terry Symmetry (NOS frame/fork, project in progress)
    1973 Raleigh Super Course (project in progress)

4 for 4 this week. Tomorrow is my day off so no commuting. Still trying to get use to the dark ride coming home. I want my dark mornings back!
    Specialized Amira Expert WSD, Ruby Expert
    Trek Madone 5.2 WSD, Bontrager Affinity 2 WSD
    Trek Madone 4.5 WSD, Bontrager Affinity 1 WSD

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    2 for 5
    Out for a few days with a bad back. And this cursed running program!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Gym & running on Tues/Thur: success

Swim MWF: Partial success. I skipped Friday

Long bike ride and/or run on weekend: probably a fail here. Today I need to pack for Costa Rica and tomorrow we leave at 4:30 a.m. to get to the airport to fly to Costa Rica. Did I mention we are going to Costa Rica??

Taking time off as needed: Probably success. I didn't have any physical health issues, still coping with some mental health from my daughter's wreck, and probably should have come home a couple hours early on Thursday, but I took a couple hours in the morning on Friday and felt a lot better.

I might throw this in with the other goals, but I had quit eating foods made with sugar (with some degree of success), and since my daughter's wreck I'm right back into 1-soda-a-day plus whatever crap food I feel like. That is no good for my moods and it will soon impact my physical health so I really want to kick the sugar again.

Don't think I'm going to get any rides in this week!
    We've got snow, single digits and minus digits for the highs and lows and to make it all more interesting, wind to blow the snow around and make the wind chill factor really cold! Throw in the idiot drivers who have forgot what it's like to drive in snow and it's all just too much for this old bird.

I lower myself to a spin class this morning at the gym. I guess it's better than nothing. I hope this will all clear out in a week or so. I'm only 50 miles away for my yearly mileage goal.

On the plus side we might go snowshoeing this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by bikerHen View Post
    Don't think I'm going to get any rides in this week!
    We've got snow, single digits and minus digits for the highs and lows and to make it all more interesting, wind to blow the snow around and make the wind chill factor really cold! Throw in the idiot drivers who have forgot what it's like to drive in snow and it's all just too much for this old bird.
    No kidding! Even if it didn't pan out, hearing BLIZZARD WARNING all day yesterday was enough to put me off.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    No snow...no blizzards here in MD. And, my back is better.
    Today, I had a hard time getting out of bed, and kept hitting the snooze button.
    Wonderful ride in - Roads were empty. I guess everyone is off to go get groped at airports!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

((( sigh))) . . . It's starting to look like it's going to be another one of "thoses" winters. It's not even December and we're already starting to talk about feet of snow instead of inches. The snow plows are starting to fill up the bike lanes with snow and there's about a three foot berm of snow blocking the bike path. We had to dig a path for our short legged dog to go pee this morning! As much as I like snow . . . this much, this early sucks! Barring a sudden warm-up, it looks like my commuting days may be over for the year.

My report on this week's goals: vacation in Costa Rica!

I had toyed with the idea of renting a bike but I'm glad that didn't pan out. We had also intended to rent a car and I'm glad we didn't end up doing that either, we hired a driver for our 2 excursions. Costa Rica roads are crazy! So many cyclists and pedestrians and dogs on very narrow roads, every car drives as fast as it can in between speed bumps (muertos), and my heart just about stopped several times per mile from fear that we were going to hit a person or dog.

So, the only biking was one short trip this afternoon. I jogged a couple times, and swam in the ocean a bit, mostly I played with the tide in the ocean. I was excited to have a chance to practice swimming in open water. I walked a lot. I always woke up so early in the mornings that I had time to check my email and go for a walk or jog before DH & DD were awake, and catch a glimpse of monkeys.

Of course I didn't stick to any kind of regular training schedule. I did do my core exercises approximately every other night.

Only one day last week. My bike was in the shop.

I decided to ride this morning despite snow, drifts and winds. About halfway there I was seriously questioning the sanity of that decision. I didn't want to turn around, though so I pulled my Buff up a little higher on my frozen face and finished the commute. The ride home was a little better (wind died down to about 20-25 mph). Some of the drifts were a bit extreme. I even had to walk a bit. Still, I was glad to be back on my bike.

Deb
    2016 Kona Rove ST (M/L 54) WTB Volt
    Camp Stove Green Surly Karate Monkey (M) WTB Volt
    Kona Dew Deluxe (54cm) Brooks B67-S

I want to join in!

I just started a new job and got the ok to park the bike in the office. No problem!

It's 4.5 miles, very flat. I'm going to start riding in tomorrow morning.

I'll be leaving at 7:30am, and riding home at 5pm. It's supposed to be 19deg tomorrow am so I have my heaviest clothes laid out to ride in. Got my Niterider headlight for the ride home.

I plan to ride 4-5 days per week, as long as roads are not too icy.
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon