Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

To disable ads, please log-in.

Glad you're back at it TriGirl, and hope the road rash etc. is totally gone soon!

3 for 3 this week, SO. HAPPY. BIKE. COMMUTING!!! Back into my goal range too!

Today was especially great - got to leave work early and do an extra-multi-modal trip. Work to light rail to bike path to meet a CO TEer and get a saddle for the next bike build, then biked back (uphill! headwind! extra miles!) to the light rail to the bus to then bike home -- a really nice guy caught me on my first hill and we rode together and chatted almost all the way home. Most excellent.

Oh and no more headlight needed in the a.m., really only about 1/2 the way home, too. I am certain we're still due for some big snow, but the light is returning and I'm betting the worst (best??) of the cold is behind us!
    Sit bones = ~135 mm, saddles that work ~ 155cm/6.1 in wide
    2003 da Vinci (custom road/all-rounder)/Terry Butterfly Ti
    1994 Gary Fisher Nirvana (vintage MTB/commuter)/Terry Butterfly Chromoly
    1991 Terry Symmetry (NOS frame/fork, project in progress)
    1973 Raleigh Super Course (project in progress)

3 for 5 this week for me, because I needed the car straight from work on Mon and Tue. It's been so warm the last couple of days, which has made for very wet roads.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Today was the first ride (home) in which I didn't wear a jacket.
    Mid-50s, sunny, but with a cool North wind. LS jersey with a LS base, and I was fine. Winter jacket was rolled up in a ball and unceremoniously stuffed into my pannier!

Stealing this from BikeJournal.com's Commuter Century posting. Thought it was very cute....
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    that blog is great!!! I just looked through the whole thing. I'll be following it for sure!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I got out of the habit of my weekly report on here so I'll sum up.

Commuting isn't a problem anymore. When the roads were bad I went on foot. I want to get studded tires for next winter. But if we move, the next place is just over a mile away from my work so I'll probably walk all the time.

My take-it-easy-when-I-need has been good. I haven't needed it as much, but there was one day in particular. I wasn't sick, I was super emotional (and for a change it wasn't hormones). I finally decided I could just allow myself the day to be crazy and irrational, not demand much from myself, and the next day I was fine. We'll see if I continue to do as well since I have 4 grant deadlines in the next 2 months.

My training goals have been going pretty well. I didn't end up sticking to as strict a regimen as I had originally envisioned. I took advantage of other opportunities as they came up, because the social aspect of training & exercise is more of a motivation for me than the strict plan. So if there was spin class, I'd go. If there was a group run, I'd go. If I'd done quite a lot of exercise, maybe doubling up because I swam AND went to spin class, I'd take a day off.

I heard a speaker who said that there are 4 common approaches to exercise: social, logical, default, and organized. Depending on your personality one or more of these approaches will be more successful than you. Logical is typically a more male approach, a "Just do it" where you get in, do your 30 minutes, and get out. It tends to be the opposite of social where you see someone you often run with and one of you says "Hey, want to run after lunch?" because just seeing the other person reminds him of the run. Default is like me, where I bicycle for transportation and it doesn't even occur to me that there is another way. Organized is where you get it in your calendar (and you're the type who follows your calendar).

It's a combination of default & social that drives me to exercise.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Well, winter is pretty much over, and I totally screwed it up right at the end. Every time I ran, my calves were sore for 3 days after. Since I was running twice a week, my calves were NOT sore for about 1 day each week. I kept thinking this should start to get better, that eventually I should be able to run without having sore calves for the next three days.

Finally in frustration I ran 3 days in a row.

In retrospect that wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done. My calves were very sore and I stayed off them the rest of the week.

By Sunday my calves felt fine. My left ankle was a little sore but nothing bad. So I joined the Sunday noon group and ran again. For an hour.

When I ended the run I knew I had made a big mistake. It's Thursday now, and I'm trying to be thankful (and hopeful) that I didn't permanently damage something. I have not run, I biked one day because that didn't seem to hurt, but by the end of the day I realized I was doing all the pedaling with my right leg, and I had the arch of my left foot on the pedal, so that the ankle wouldn't be flexing & extending with the pedal stroke. I'm SO tired of sitting!

Wouldn't you know it, the pool closed a couple weeks ago for window replacements and hasn't opened back up because they're trying to fix a leak. So I can't swim, can't go for walks, but I can sure feel sorry for myself!!

I know you are supposed to ramp up with the vibrams and I didn't really do that. I jumped right into hour and longer runs. I did go for a couple shorter runs but I got impatient. What's the point of running for 20 or 30 minutes? Well, that's 20 or 30 minutes longer than I will run all this week and probably next. (I only hope it takes just 1 or 2 weeks.)

The other thing was, when I first got the shoes I ran with a slap-slap-slap sound. I asked someone about it and he said the shoes train you to run on the balls of your feet to avoid the slap-slap-slap. So I was consciously trying to run on the balls of my feet and that's pretty much when the ankles went. I'll stick to slap-slap-slap from now on.

Since I started training in September, I've injured my right shoulder, my left shoulder, a tiny little muscle inside my hip (adductor maybe?), my left knee started complaining again, then my calves were constantly sore, and now the ankles. (The left one is really bad but the right ankle hurts a little too.)

I have a new goal for the spring: no more injuries. I'm confident I can finish the triathlon, and that's all I care about. I don't need to do it fast. I have no intention (or likelihood) of placing. I am done with the "training" mindset. From now on, my own pace, my own distance, and I probably should avoid running with groups.

I've had a lot of time to think about this while not running...while sitting around home waiting for supper because my ankle is so sore at the end of the day...my family is so sweet!

I've also gotten lots of progress on the 4 grants due between now & May 2!

One more commute week left in the challenge!!

Here's to injury recovery and injury-free spring, Melalvai! Continue to be gentle with yourself and find the mindsets that work!

The past two weeks have been mostly travel-filled, so not as much commuting. Which means its nice for me to still have another week of the challenge to help give me the good inertia!

I got 100% for February, helps make up for the setbacks in January. With a little prep and some luck with the weather I should be in good shape for the whole fall/winter goals.

Since I got into Ride the Rockies (412 miles, 6 days, mid-June!!) my commuting might occasionally take a backseat to training, but sure glad I stayed on the bike over the winter!

I've been off the thread for a while, but have been( mostly) maintaining the commute everyday. I had one week of bus riding during the big snow dump because I was taking my daughter to camp two miles away, and she's too new on a bike for snow riding.

Melalvai, sorry to hear about the injury. I think I read an article in running magazine about vibrams and freerunning shoes vs the heavily cushioned ones, and I think the take home message was that if you are a heel strike runner vibrams will cause a lot more damage than if you are a ball of the foot runner. So they are not for everyone. good luck finding a stride/shoe combination that doesn't cause you grief.
    Raleigh Alysa
    Trek 5000 WSD

Last post?

Winter is officially over in a few days so I guess we'll be going back to the regular "How was your commute today?" thread. So I thought I'd wrap up.

My ankle is healing. I ended up with a boot that I was supposed to wear for 2 weeks. I wore it all weekend and continued wearing it even though my ankle was no longer hurting all the time, because my ankle would get tired. Yesterday I went all day without it and felt pretty good.

I feel completely comfortable ignoring the doctor on this one because I'm collaborating on a study of joint injury to find out whether immobility or exercise is recommended. Opinion is currently divided on that. So much of what we assume is "evidence based medicine" is actually nothing more than tradition. Without "evidence" I have to rely on my best judgment.

My best judgment right now includes being very careful, being slow & patient about getting back into training.

That was a digression. Anyway I've been bike commuting (again not "supposed" to, but since it doesn't hurt I do it). The pool is STILL closed--leaks repaired this summer didn't hold and are being repaired again. I'll wait a few more days before I take up walking, and then start slow and small with the running. Spin class and long bike rides are still out; while a 5 mile round trip commute doesn't hurt I don't know if a longer distance would and so I'll work back up to longer distances in the hopes of preventing re-injury or new injuries.

I'm not convinced yet that vibrams are wrong for me. Someone told me they only work for 1/3 of the population. Assuming that they really do mimic barefoot that's like saying 1/3 of the population is born wearing shoes. I believe this is like all my other injuries--too much too fast. So I'm going to try again with them, starting with walking and slowly, slowly work my way up to running long distances on the balls of my feet.

Happy "fair" weather cycling and see you all next fall!

Thumbs up Happy Solstice Everyone!!

Welcome to the first day of spring. Thanks to everyone who participated in the challenge!

I got pretty close to my goal - 72.5% of my office days vs. my original goal of 75%. I'm happy because I improved from last year, and was out a couple times in conditions that would have stopped me in the past. And just love that I've committed to year-round commuting...it's such a joy!

Oh yeah and I saw lots of animals, enjoyed holiday lighting, and saw the first flowers of spring from the bike. No puppy petting, but it's just starting to be puppy season.

It's been great checking in with you all...happy 'easy' season (for the northern hemisphere folks that is) and many happy commutes!