Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: New to MTB

New to MTB

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been riding road for several years, but I'm new to MTBing this year - I've been on my bike under 10 times and do just fine on beginner trails. However, I have no idea how to deal with things like logs, large rocks, etc. It's a stupid question, but where do people learn this stuff? I'm very slow, the single tracks make me nervous, I enjoy it as long as I'm riding at a pretty slow rate. I'm in the Twin Cities area.

FYI, I'm almost 46 years old.....not some young, fearless thang
    Last edited by Pascale; 10-11-2010 at 06:09 PM. Reason: addition
    Bicycling is the number one reason for the increase in the ranks of reckless girls who become outcast women" ....unknown 1895

oo

oooo another one comes to the dirt..ooooo

There are heaps of links on the mtb section
    http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=38813

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=37997

Does your area have a mtn bike club? Perhaps they have skills days???

Core strength, balance and hydration are some important things for you to remember.

Thank you!!! I love this place
    Bicycling is the number one reason for the increase in the ranks of reckless girls who become outcast women" ....unknown 1895

I like the look of those links - thank you!
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Logs, large rocks, etc are things I learned in a skills class. Ned Overend's book also gives some really good explanations (with pictures) if you're someone who can read that sort of thing and translate to doing it.

I can't even remember how I really learned to ride, but the most important thing to remember is that you can always get off and walk! There's no harm in a trial run on a trail that you think is over your head - walk what you can't/shouldn't ride, and if it turns out that the whole thing is too tough you can always just turn around and go back. You may find that you can ride more than you would expect! I would chat with someone in your LBS and see if they can recommend some local singletrack that's easier.

I like to ride up and down the curbs at my house. Then build up to riding down a few steps at the library or public school. I try to find little obstacles near my house so that when I'm on the single track and come to an obstacle, I'm not as nervous.

The best thing to do, is just try riding it. Go for it. I think you'll find most things are very ridable, you just need to trust your bike to do the work.

LOL, yes, I need to find some curbs, I guess. There are none around my house, I live in a place where the "curbs" are all just slopped...totally useless as obstacles!! I went out yesterday and got through about 4 spots that I'd walked around the day before, so I guess that's good .... those large rock gardens freak me out though! It's the closest place to ride for me, so I guess I'd better get used to it Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone

I started MTB at 44years old (a couple of years ago) so I understand what you mean about learning these new skills.

Firstly, it helps if you know somebody who can drag you around and give you a few tips. DH did that for me, but there is a limit to what you can learn from your spouse before you kill them!

I also bought a magazine that had useful tips and a free DVD with some skills stuff on it. That was useful to get some theory going.

But by far the best thing I did was take a lesson (or three) with a local skills coach who runs classes just for girls. He took you through the basics (because you can learn all this great stuff from others and books, dvds etc but still be doing something a little bit off - like posture - that renders it all a bit useless) and then you practised over a broad range of obstacles and he'd spot you so you built confidence. The best thing he ever taught me was that you can get over nearly anything if you just "look ahead and pedal."

I think as an old roadie rider, I found the obstacle thing quite worrisome, and tended to look right under my front wheel at the rock or root I was just about to hit up. It took a long time for me to re-set my gaze to the "down the road" view I have used on the roadie. This is something you really need to aim for. You can't do a damn thing about the root that is three inches from your front wheel (other than fall over it) but if you "look ahead and pedal" you'll probably find that you roll over it easily! And besides, there may be something a lot bigger down the road that you need a bit of time to gear up (or down) and prepare for!

Persevere - it is a ton of fun!

PS: I find I am always willing to go over bigger and more interesting obstacles if I am riding in a group and everybody in front of me just flies over them without thinking!
    2008 Shogun Ninja/BBB Women's Race
    2010 Scott Speedster S20FB/BBB Women's Race
    2011 Avanti Vitale 3 (converted to flat bar with triple)/Zero Zia Pro
    2008 Kona Lisa HT/WTB Speed She
    2009 Specialized Era Marathon/Ariel SL 143
    2008 Holstar Roadster (tandem)/WTB Speed She

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbikes View Post
    I started MTB at 44years old (a couple of years ago) so I understand what you mean about learning these new skills.

Firstly, it helps if you know somebody who can drag you around and give you a few tips. DH did that for me, but there is a limit to what you can learn from your spouse before you kill them!

I also bought a magazine that had useful tips and a free DVD with some skills stuff on it. That was useful to get some theory going.

But by far the best thing I did was take a lesson (or three) with a local skills coach who runs classes just for girls. He took you through the basics (because you can learn all this great stuff from others and books, dvds etc but still be doing something a little bit off - like posture - that renders it all a bit useless) and then you practised over a broad range of obstacles and he'd spot you so you built confidence. The best thing he ever taught me was that you can get over nearly anything if you just "look ahead and pedal."

I think as an old roadie rider, I found the obstacle thing quite worrisome, and tended to look right under my front wheel at the rock or root I was just about to hit up. It took a long time for me to re-set my gaze to the "down the road" view I have used on the roadie. This is something you really need to aim for. You can't do a damn thing about the root that is three inches from your front wheel (other than fall over it) but if you "look ahead and pedal" you'll probably find that you roll over it easily! And besides, there may be something a lot bigger down the road that you need a bit of time to gear up (or down) and prepare for!

Persevere - it is a ton of fun!

PS: I find I am always willing to go over bigger and more interesting obstacles if I am riding in a group and everybody in front of me just flies over them without thinking!
    Sorry for the lengthy quote, but what a great post! It's all reassuring and incredibly useful to a 40something cycling newbie. I shall try the "just look ahead and pedal" advice as soon as I'm back on the bike, I have a couple of little bumps in mind.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascale View Post
    those large rock gardens freak me out though!
    I understand what you mean. But another one of the skills coach's fine sayings was to look "through" the rock garden not "at" the rock garden. Oh - and pair it with "loosey goosey" as well.

Basically you need to carry a bit of speed, stay light on the bike, be relaxed and loose, so you can just sort of float over the rock gardens (not an easy task for somebody of my weight) and then rather than look down at the individual rocks and panic (usually results in stopping dead and gumby stacking) you look out towards the exit of the rock garden.

Between both of those, you just sort of bounce your way across soaking up the bumps and without losing too much speed (momentum is your friend) and you're out before you know it.
    2008 Shogun Ninja/BBB Women's Race
    2010 Scott Speedster S20FB/BBB Women's Race
    2011 Avanti Vitale 3 (converted to flat bar with triple)/Zero Zia Pro
    2008 Kona Lisa HT/WTB Speed She
    2009 Specialized Era Marathon/Ariel SL 143
    2008 Holstar Roadster (tandem)/WTB Speed She

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    It's a stupid question, but where do people learn this stuff?
    Some learn at home. I have some old lumber that I will use to brush up on my skills--things like riding across a 2x6, lifting a tire over a post, doing a drop off from the deck, and anything else I can create here in the comfort and privacy of my home. Then I head over to the trail and put my skills to work.

Is there someone at the LBS who can give you a private lesson?