Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

The Tour de Tucson Nov 20th

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, I am crazy, but I am riding the 109 mile route. My first charity ride, and I am really excited!

Anyone here doing it?
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1
    Bacchetta Cafe Mountain Bent

I wish I'm going to be in Philadelphia for a conference at the time. My boyfriend rode the 60-whatever-mile route last year and had a blast. He's hoping to ride again this year but he hasn't decided which route.

Good luck and have fun!
    '09 Jamis Satellite Femme | stock Jamis Road Sport -- road
    '08 Trek 7.2FX | Terry Cite -- commuter
    '77 Raleigh Grand Prix mixte | stock Brooks (vinyl) -- just for fun!

Yup, I'm in. There are 4 of us going over.
    Lookit, grasshopper....

I have done it a number of times. Not this year. It's a really good first century as there's not much climbing. The wind can get tough but if you ride in a pack that makes it a lot easier.

Have fun!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I'm going to ride in El Tour for the first time (last year would have been my first opportunity, but I had other obligations). I'm signed up for the 109 miles. I'm doing a weekly training with University Medical Center and Carmichael Training Systems.

I've ridden about 80% of the course over the last year (not in one day).
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Ok, girls, look for me on a titanium recumbent, with a bright green tailsok (hopefully I will have it installed by then!)

Glad to hear it's not too hilly. I am working the "9 mile hill" up here in Scottsdale and getting a really good workout. My partner is coming and is not sure if she should volunteer, or be available to bring me food at one of the stops, though I should be able to pack everything in my bike bag.
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1

Smile El Tour Story

Hi There! My name is Larissa Wohl and I'm a reporter at KVOA in Tucson! I would love to do a story about women gearing up for El Tour! Please let me know if you're interested! You can email me directly at lwohl@kvoa.com.

Thanks!!!

I did a practice run up the steep hill on Snyder road today, which is located just after the 2nd wash, a little less than half-way through the 109 mile route. I feel better knowing what to expect. It climbs, has a brief respite and then there is a final grade up to the crest of the hill.

Just the last section is really steep - I don't know how long that section is, but I got through it with 10 long, deep breaths, in my lowest gear.

AZfiddle,

Thanks for posting on Snyder hill. Sounds like it will be doable even on my recumbent.

By the way girls, it's mighty cold in Tucson. Morning temps are 36 degrees. Sounds like we might have to bundle up initially and strip down as we go. Looks like a nice warming trend, and it will be 77 degrees during the day of the ride!
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1

Unhappy

Sad to say, I will not be able to ride the 109.... I'm getting a recurrence of hip problems that started last spring. I just overdid it trying to prepare in Sept/October, and didn't realize the extent of the problems until it was too late. I'm doing all the exercises that I got at PT in the spring, and a few new ones from my chiropractor, but I know that I can't strengthen the weak side enough by next week to ride that far :-(

Unlikely , but I might be able to do the 66- more likely, the 40 mile distance unless things get worse over the next week. I'm mentally prepared to sit it out, and cheer for my DH and my friends if that's what I have to do.

It's disappointing, but I'd rather be able to keep riding after next week, than ride too far/hard and end up unable to ride at all again.

azfiddle,

I am so sorry to hear about your injury...fear not, many more Tours to come! Rest and heal and baby yourself. In a few months you will be good as new.
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1

Az Fiddle sorry to hear about the hip problems and not being able to do the 109 course. As I was reading through I was thrilled to see you did Snyder Road. It's good to have an idea of that road. When doing the 109 mile course, you've already got a good number of miles in before that steep climb and it's pays to prepare before hitting it on the day of the event.

Hopefully you'll get to do some part of ETT. The 40 mile will be mostly downhill. Although the forecasted winds might negate that.

I hope you recover soon. Hey, maybe Tour of the Tucson Mountains early next year?

DT

Thanks for the kind thought- I will be standing on Houghton Road and cheer for my DH and friends as they pass. I was so ready to tackle this, but my hip/leg just didn't want to cooperate. Maybe I will be in shape to ride more later in the winter, and to do the April Tour of the Tucson Mountains ... I hope so.