Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Brazilian blowout-hair straightener chemical

To disable ads, please log-in.

A dubious chemical for hair straightening in salons.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

This "service" has been popular in my area for at least the last two years. At the salon that I used to patronize, they charged $500 a treatment. No, I haven't had the treatment nor do I want it (my hair is wavy/curly and I opt for wash, scrunch, and go styling). I do know of some folks who have had it and love it, so each to her own.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Naturally straight hair women really wouldn't stay on top of knowing the latest methods. For the first 25 yrs. of life, I cursed my straight hair. It never occurred to me for a very long time that other people might want the beautiful/flowing sheen of straight hair.

Straightening very curly hair, just sounds like such an unnatural hard process on hair.

'Course I haven't done the opposite in years....permed hair. I never will after my hair turned abit brown /burnt and frizzed abit. I just can't be bothered to tame permed hair.

I prefer to stay away from chemically treating my hair...as long as possible/forever. Am a cheapie.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

I permed my hair for about twenty years! My hair has always been horrible; neither straight nor curly, but frizzy, bendy, twisty, ugly and unmanageable. When I was a teen I ironed it and spent innumerable hours with it wrapped around my head, slopped with gel, under a hairdryer. My schedule had to revolve around washing and drying my hair. So, after trying to go natural, I had it permed in the late seventies, when it was popular. Since this was the only way I could manage my hair, as I am horrible with styling implements I was able to keep it long and not have to do anything except wash and go.
    I let the perm grow out in 1998. It looked pretty bad, so since I started cycling shortly after that, I just had it cut short and spiky. I really wish I could have longer hair, but this is it. Two years ago I did grow it longer; I had it chemically straightened and had to use a flat iron, too. Then summer came and I looked horrible any time I was riding. Back to the pixie.
    I really understand why someone would do the Brazilian thing. I considered it. I can't imagine being able to wake up and shake my head and have my hair look good.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I can't imagine being able to wake up and shake my head and have my hair look good.
    I think that's more a testament to the hair stylist than anything. My hair's bone straight, and I can do that, now. But I learned the hard way that only a very skilled stylist can cut my hair this length. When I get a bad haircut, it just looks awful no matter what I do with it.

The most work my hair has ever been was when it was chin length. It wasn't near as much work as it sounds like yours was, but it was 25-35 minutes every single day, no days off, no vacations. I don't miss that.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

My hair's long (too long right now!), thick and curly. It used to be frizzy when I was a teenager. Now the only frizzy bits are the little short ones that are new growth, or the ones that broke. I longed for straight hair, and tried chemically relaxing it and ironing it. It did nothing for more than two days other than fry my hair, and it took forever. I gave up on it. I've wanted to chop it off short in the last couple months, but it'd probably look weird.

My sister has hair similar to mine (but not as thick) and still does the flat iron/chemical straightening. It looks good, but I cannot imagine spending that much time on my hair. I'll take the extra 20 minutes of sleep.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

But I learned the hard way that only a very skilled stylist can cut my hair this length. When I get a bad haircut, it just looks awful no matter what I do with it.
    True, naturally straight hair demands skilled, ACCURATE cutting by hair stylist. Just 1 millimetre difference on one side, is noticeable and gets to be a pain when the hair grows longer. An experienced stylist can see in bone straight hair, actual overall growth waves of hair emanating from the scalp which is determined by the shape of a person's head.

I didn't know it for a long time, but I have a cowlick on the top crown of my head of hair. I needed to know this because depending on how my hair falls as it grows longer and how a hairstylist cuts my hair (ie. layering, etc.), if person does it wrong, it shows a small bald spot on top of my head! I honestly thought for a time, that I was going bald.

I don't have naturally wavy hair to hide that type of error..unless I contort myself to use a curling iron at the back of head. (which I gave up years ago)

I could never cut my own hair because of the accuracy that is required for cutting. Anyway, it's a layered cut.

A distant friend of mine had very frizzy hair. After a few years I saw her again, and she had these amazing silky, shiny, glowing curls. Almost corkscrew curls. Lusterous and sleek.

She said she'd stopped using shampoo. Her dermatologist recommended rinsing her hair well every morning, and scrubbing her scalp once a week with sugar or salt (because they dissolve and rinse away) to keep the skin healthy. Pretty much just leaving the hair alone to manage itself.

Words cannot express how lovely her hair was.

She said that some mornings she didn't even rinse it; and that she could just run her fingers through it, shake her head and go.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    A distant friend of mine had very frizzy hair. After a few years I saw her again, and she had these amazing silky, shiny, glowing curls. Almost corkscrew curls. Lusterous and sleek.

She said she'd stopped using shampoo. Her dermatologist recommended rinsing her hair well every morning, and scrubbing her scalp once a week with sugar or salt (because they dissolve and rinse away) to keep the skin healthy. Pretty much just leaving the hair alone to manage itself.

She said that some mornings she didn't even rinse it; and that she could just run her fingers through it, shake her head and go.
    Interesting. So it was the oil in her hair that kept it unfrizzed?
    Sorry, for sounding so obtuse. But straight haired people really do live in a different hair world. The concept to me to towel-dry wet hair and have it air dry naturally into a curl, is foreign.

I simply look at hair conditioner bottle and shiver. I can't use that stuff on my hair...dullens it, makes it lifeless.

As you can tell, I don't have problems with dry ends.

Heh, lucky.

Curly hair is usually dry, and shampoo often strips all the oils out (the idea, of course, is to replace it by buying their handy matching conditioner!). I cut back my hair wash to once a week, and it's much happier. Actually, most stylists who have cut my hair have told me to only rinse with conditioner on the body of my hair, away from the scalp.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I can't imagine being able to wake up and shake my head and have my hair look good.
    I do.. every day :P Seriously, my hair is not straight but it is wavy (and not frizzy) and the way I keep it cut is very much a "shake and go" style... I use ZERO product on my hair.. not even conditioner. I alternate between one of the Burt's Bees shampoos and Jason Naturals (the no perfumes/dyes one).

I don't dry my hair with a hair dryer, and combined with the lack of any product that can damage my hair, means I never have split ends. I get my hair cut maybe twice a year... they always comment on what great shape my hair is in. I always laugh, because I usually feel like I'm completely neglecting it, but apparently that's what my hair needs
    '08 Felt FW40 w/ Brooks b68's'
    '77 Takara Mixte (errand bike) w/ Brooks b68's'

Measure your sitbones! Mine: 6 5/8" (168mm)

Wow, I am envious of all of you, which sort of underlies my point. My hair is not frizzy and twisty because of damage I've done to it. It's in great shape, despite the fact it's colored. I've rarely used a hair blower. If there's even a breath of breeze, my hair gets fluffy, frizzes, out of place, even with the paste and gel combo I use for my spikes. I can't even touch my hair after it's dried. Forget about riding in the convertible DH has. I make him keep the windows up. He thinks I am crazy, since my hair is so short, but I am not imagining this. When I lived in Miami, it was hell... I was 16 and had hair that was shoulder length. Wearing a hat? Oy.
    Part of my problem is that I am a "head sweater." Just normal walking makes my scalp sweat, which makes my hair look crappy. I have a great hairdresser (I've had several), so that's not an issue. What it comes down to is the fact I have ugly Jewish hair that I have learned to live with, by cutting it all off!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

My hairdresser has an album of "before" and "after" photos of women that have had the Brazilian Blowout and I will say that it's amazing. I would be tempted to have it done if I was unhappy with frizzy, curly hair. However, my daughter's best friend is a hairdresser that went to the training but opted not to offer it in her shop because of the chemicals. She says it is so potent that they end up with a headache from the exposure and she wants no part of it. Can't say that I blame her.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post

hmmmmmm
    that may be worth a try....

I have curly hair that used to be more frizz than curl. With age it seems to have tamed down and become more curls, less frizz, but I've also cut back on the shampoo a lot. I usually shampoo it once or twice a week with a lauryl sulfate free shampoo and then only try to get the areas near my scalp as it does get oily and nasty and dandruffy looking if I don't, but if a sugar scrub would take care of the skin and the scalp oils without drying my hair I'll try it.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

my hair's getting wavier as I get older. If I knew about brazilian blowout and could afford it and didn't care about chemicals, I probably would've done it. But I'm not a girly girl in any way, so I never spend any time (or money!) on my hair.

I was talking with my hairdresser yesterday (it just so happens I was getting my bi-annual hair cut) and the salon she works at does brazilian blowout but she herself doesn't. I was also talking to her about colour, how when it's finally time to cover my grey, if she used "natural" colouring. She said no, that they give an orange tint.

Since I'm so anal about chemicals and using products that are biodegradable and cruelty free, I may just have to go naturally grey... or just use henna and have orange hair.

I feel really badly for hairdressers and those nail salons. The chemicals they're exposed to daily can't be good.

have any of you heard or use Moroccan Oil? I don't like hairspray and crusty stuff in my hair so my hairdresser used that on my hair yesterday. She said she totally swears by it now. Did a bit of research, I guess it's argan oil, Moroccanoil is a brand.
    Last edited by badger; 10-10-2010 at 08:26 AM.