Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post

Since I'm so anal about chemicals and using products that are biodegradable and cruelty free, I may just have to go naturally grey... or just use henna and have orange hair.
    Or you could use brown henna, or black henna... you don't have to use red henna. Red henna will make gray hair strawberry blonde or orange if you use only red henna.

I use brown henna with a little red thrown in. No orange effect unless I use straight red henna, and even then the orange effect washes out in about a week.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Or you could use brown henna, or black henna... you don't have to use red henna. Red henna will make gray hair strawberry blonde or orange if you use only red henna.

I use brown henna with a little red thrown in. No orange effect unless I use straight red henna, and even then the orange effect washes out in about a week.
    good to know, thanks!! I have very dark brown with red hilights, so that sounds great (like streaks!). At least if it's awful it'll wash out. I feel more hopeful now

I permed my hair a couple of times in the early 90s because my hair was surfboard straight and wouldn't hold a curl for the life of me, but the perm only made it poodlish. I didn't care for that, either, so I went back to the standard center part, surfboard straight style and I wore a lot of bandannas.

About three years ago I won a cut and color from a high-end salon in a fundraiser at my daughter's school. It was the first time I'd ever been to any place other than the local Supercuts kind of place. This woman, Joanna, did an amazing job cutting my hair. I had enough to do a 14" ponytail for Locks of Love and still have my hair come just to my shoulders, so she cut that off first, and then did something I'd never had before: layers. Who knew I had naturally wavy hair?

I loved it! The new style got a lot of compliments and I went back to her a couple more times, but ultimately, I just couldn't afford it. (Her salon is in the posh section of La Jolla, which was named the moniestest place in America or something like that not too long ago, to give you an idea).

Back to Supercuts for me, but I lucked out and found a woman there that had worked in high-end salons before and had moved back to my area to be close to her family. Lucky me. When she's finished with my cut and color and blow dry, I look like I just stepped off a magazine cover.

Of course, the next day, I'm back to the bandannas and scrunchies, but still. I kept the layers, and although they're growing out down to my shoulder blades now, it's still long and wavy and I like it. It's very easy to take care of.

On the shampoo, I do wash just about every day, with L'Oreal's EverStrong Reconstructing Shampoo and Conditioner, and once or twice a week I'll do a deep condition with a keratin hair mask.

Usually Sunday mornings, my at-home spa day. Deep condition the hair, do a mask or peel on my face, wax the brows, shave the legs, then lotion everything from the neck down, take a nap...ah, bliss.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    good to know, thanks!! I have very dark brown with red hilights, so that sounds great (like streaks!). At least if it's awful it'll wash out. I feel more hopeful now
    I have med brown/auburn hair with red highlights and I occasionally use straight up red henna to kick the color up a bit. for the first week or two it does look kind of orange (as does my scalp!), but that goes away and it looks natural after that. Plain old henna has a hard time coloring my greys though. Fortunately most of my grey is still underneath, but the henna puts only a light, light stawberry blond color to it, which is much lighter than my normal highlights, so it still looks like greys. The brand I use does have a "grey covering formula", but I haven't tried it yet.

I tried a salt scrub today.. it felt good, we'll see what my hair looks like when it dries. I was just thinking that whenever I've swam in the ocean I get *super* curly from the salt water.... I've washed the salt out of course, but we'll see how my hair reacts.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

My red hair started going gray in my mid-20's. I've used red henna for probably 20 years, but as my hair has lost more of its own color (it is now all gun-metal gray with patches of white) it has started to look orange-y with pure red henna.

So over the last couple years I have started adding larger and larger proportions of brown henna to my red henna. At this point I use mostly brown henna, with just a bit of red mixed in.

I've used the same brand of Henna ("Light Mountain" http://www.light-mountain-hair-color.com ) it seems like forever, so I'm pretty confident mixing and matching my own henna recipes. My hair chickie (who has been cutting my hair since before I started dyeing it) says that when it goes totally white I can keep the color perky by dyeing first with red henna, then dyeing over it with brown.

Quite honestly, if I end up with the same lovely hair my grandma had, I won't dye that.

Eden - I'm very interested in how your hair turns out!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post

Eden - I'm very interested in how your hair turns out!
    So after it dried it was not crazy curly like salt water makes it - I'm sure that's because when at the beach the salt dries in, and with a salt scrub it gets washed out. It also didn't make my hair sticky or prone to tangle like salt water does. It doesn't seem to have dried my hair out, which I was a bit concerned about and was thinking about using sugar instead, but I had some epsom salt so I tried that.

I intentionally did it today as it needed washing and I'd have otherwise shampooed it, so I'd see if salt cleaned it well enough, but I also wasn't going anywhere, so if it didn't I wouldn't have to go anywhere looking like a greasy head....

It looks like the salt did do a good job cleaning up my scalp - I don't have any dandruff and it did a fair job at cleaning my hair, not nasty looking, but not squeaky clean looking either- then again if I get it that clean then it goes all frizz again....

I've always heard that when you kick the shampoo habit you do go through a stage where your hair overcompensates and gets oily, but after a while it reaches equilibrium - but I've never been able to tolerate it long enough to see if it stops looking nasty.. This may be 1/2 way enough to get me to stop the shampoo all together. We'll see.

Cutting down on shampoo and going with a sulfate free brand helped a lot - my hair usually curls rather than frizzing and I no longer have millions of spit ends, so kicking the shampoo habit all together could be a really good thing if I can keep my hair looking clean!

p.s. - I use Light Mountain too - I've been getting the plain "red", but when my grey (well, white really... I think that's probably good?) starts to show I think I may try Mahogany or Chestnut as they are closer to my natural hair color.
    Last edited by Eden; 10-10-2010 at 08:35 PM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

To clarify ... only the red henna is actually henna. The consumer information from Light Mountain talks about the three different species they use in their color blends.

Years ago when my hair was long I used neutral henna (Cassia). It made my hair so silky, strong and lustrous.

Right now I'm sort of okay with the grey, but only sort of (and there isn't a lot of it yet). You've revived my interest in henna.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I had that chemical straigtening procedure done on my hair - twice (also referred to as 'thermal reconditioning'). The first time the results were spectacular. The second time (they had to redo the roots as my hair obvously grew back in curly) was only ok. It looked fine, but I started getting a lot of breakage. I was also having some hormonal issues at the time, so the jury is still out on what caused the weak hair.

As a girl who grew up with a frizzy mass of heavy, long, curly hair - having it smooth and silky with little effort was a real treat. And my hair was not stick straight, either - the ends did their natural bend. Basically, I had barbie doll hair (but brunette!)...I was constantly being told how gorgeous my hair was (by strangers) when it was smooth like that. I get the same compliments when I blow it out now...which I haven't done in 2 years, actually.

Now that I'm curly again and also growing out my hair (that straitening experiment was 8 years ago), I also don't use shampoo. I only use a chlorine removal shampoo after swimming - no other times. I 'wash' my hair with conditioner or just rinse with water, daily. The biggest key to doing this long term are the styling products. You cannot use anything that is not water-soluable otherwise it will build up and make your hair dull and lifeless very, very quickly. Avoid any product with a 'cone' in it (silicone, dimethecone, etc) - these ingredients are designed to smooth out the hair, but they also lock out all moisture - and that's a problem if you aren't regularly removing it with shampoo. I also often use regular daily conditioner as a leave-in on the ends - works GREAT! Honestly, I don't think my hairdryer has been plugged in since we moved here. For me, it's either curls or it's a pixie cut. Everything else is too much work!

If you really want some good info on the no shampoo curl routine, check out this book:
    Curly Girl book

Editing to add that the 'thermal reconditioning' that I had done was different than the 'brazilian blowout' product listed in the original article. My procedure took over 6 hours and cost well over the $300 that they quoted...
    Last edited by GLC1968; 10-11-2010 at 10:21 AM.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Gosh, after reading about curly hair-taming, I'll never complain about naturally straight hair again. And will never complain about the boring routine of shampooing hair after near-daily bike rides.

And will continue to worship very skilled hair stylists.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

!!! An article in the sunrise edition of Oregonian Oct. 18, 2010

Headline reads: "Portland hairstylist takes on the bigwigs"

According to the article, Oregon OSHA claims that variety of tests used showed, that the samples (Brazilian Blowout) contained anywhere from 4.85% to 10.6% formaldehyde.

Formaldehyde causes serious health problems and cancer.

here is the full online article

Reporter for the Oregonian is Katy Muldoon
    ph:503.221.8526
    e-mail: katymuldoon@news.oregonian.com

I would say, until we find more about this bru-ha-ha, I would err on caution and forgo using the Brazilian hair straightening product. The manufacturer is based in California.

Sheesh!

Smilingcat