Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Carbon Bike

Carbon Bike

To disable ads, please log-in.

I recently purchased a full carbon bike. The manufacturer (Cannondale) says not to use fork type carriers (the frame rests on two extended arms). The folks I purchased the bike from and other sellers in my area said they never heard of problems with these type of carriers. What is your experience? Should I use another carrier? If so, what type?
    Thanks

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    When I replaced the fork on my old road bike, I put a carbon fork on it that had carbon dropouts, as opposed to alloy drop outs (the drop outs are the half-circles that attach to the wheel at the hub). I was also told to not use a fork-mounted bike carrier like this, and to use an upright carrier, more like this.

Perhaps it is primarily a CYA move on the fork/frame manufactures part, but I took them at their word - so as not to put huge and unwarranted stress on delicate parts. So, I use a rear hitch mounted upright carrier.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Can i ask why you're not supposed to use the fork-mount racks? i have a carbon fork on my road bike, and use the fork-mount roof rack....and now you have me nervous.
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite/stock Riva
    2010 Jamis Durango 1 Femme
    2006 Diamondback Wildwood (gift from my mother-in-law, so I must keep it! It is really comfy to ride)
    1996 Raleigh M-20 (got my love for cycling going!)

Quote Originally Posted by esmorin View Post
    Can i ask why you're not supposed to use the fork-mount racks? i have a carbon fork on my road bike, and use the fork-mount roof rack....and now you have me nervous.
    I would guess that it's just because so much stress would be put on such a small area... and I guess the stress from a roof rack is different enough from the stress of normal usage. I have a carbon fork on my road bike, but it has alloy dropouts, so I was told by the LBS that it was not a concern with my roof rack.
    '09 Jamis Satellite Femme | stock Jamis Road Sport -- road
    '08 Trek 7.2FX | Terry Cite -- commuter
    '77 Raleigh Grand Prix mixte | stock Brooks (vinyl) -- just for fun!

I have used a roof rack with fork mounts on both of our carbon bikes for years without a problem. I think the key is to not yolk it down to hard or tight where you could crack a dropout? Thats my guess.

oooo. hmm. I'm not sure if I have carbon dropouts or alloy. the specs on the Specialized website don't say (I have a 2011 Dolce Elite), and I don;t know if I can tell by looking.
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite/stock Riva
    2010 Jamis Durango 1 Femme
    2006 Diamondback Wildwood (gift from my mother-in-law, so I must keep it! It is really comfy to ride)
    1996 Raleigh M-20 (got my love for cycling going!)

I've never heard anything about the fork mounts not being good for Carbon. My husband and I both have carbon bikes and considered those before we decided that if we were going to do all the work to put our bikes on top of our car, we didn't also want to have to take the front wheel off. So, we got a regular, two-wheeled, roof mount. What is NOT good for carbon bikes is having the arm that grabs the frame of your bike, instead you are supposed to get the ones that go over your front wheel against your brake. Otherwise you could damage the frame by putting too much stress on it.

-Jessica
    "Namaste, B*tches!"

I'm not sure of the OP's terminology. I don't quite understand "the frame rests on two extended arms" in connection with a fork mount, unless by the "arms" you mean the fork itself?

Can you post pictures of the racks in question?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

DH and I both have Cannondale's with carbon forks. We have used fork mount Yakima Locking Bedheads for years. His bike is a 2005 and mine is a 2006. So far the forks seem happy? I think the drop outs are possibly metal but we have used this carrier for 2 trips to New Mexico (1,300 miles each way) and numerous trips to rides. So I guess ignorance is bliss?

I find taking the front wheel off a slight advantage for theft, we lock the wheels in the car. Then the thief can only sell an incomplete bike and can't ride it away. One of the local LBS owners discourages people from the full bike mounts for the same reason, his wrench had a bike lifted off a supposedly locked hitch rack (although the wrench couldn't remember if he took the time to lock it) and judging by tire marks through the sand in the lot the thief rode it away.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan