Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Leg & Arm Warmers or Cold Weather Gear

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've seen on this site leg and arm warmers. Has anyone used them? Down to what temp do they keep you comfortable. If you don't use leg and arm warmers, what do ya'll use to stay warm.

I know leg and arm warmers aren't terribly expensive, but we have no extra money right now. So I took a pair of DD's leggings (size 4T) and cut the legs off. Then sewed in some elastic on the top. They work great! I wore them today. Temp was 50 degrees: shorts, short sleeve jersey, arm warmers

I've used both, although I regularly use only arm warmers. I find that they're helpful in spring and fall when there are big temperature variations between the beginning, middle and/or end of a ride. I wear my arm warmers the most when cool mornings (mid 50s to mid 60s perhaps) give way to warm days. I have worn them on colder days, however, in combination with a with a jacket or long-sleeve jersey.

In reading recent posts, it seems that some people prefer knee or leg warmers to knickers in terms of versatility. I've just never found a pair I like as well as knickers. I generally wear my knickers in the low 50s and up. Colder than that, I wear tights.

There's really no one way or right way to use them. They're just a versatile addition to your wardrobe in that they stash pretty easily and let you transition during a ride. They come in various weights and fabrics, too. My arm warmers (by Sugoi) aren't too thick or too thin.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I use arm warmers below 65, without legwarmers, and maybe a wool layer instead of my summer base layer under my jersey. The leg warmers come out below 55. If it's below maybe 50, I say to heck with it and wear the jacket plus leg warmers. I've done the arm warmers under the jacket and long-sleeved jersey (and legwarmers under a pair of lined track pants) at around 35.

I find that they're useful on rides where the temperature is likely to change. (Like fall and spring, where it starts chilly but ends up in the 70s or 80s.)
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Knee/leg warmers are a good investment. I wear knee warmers when the temps are in mid to upper 50s and leg warmers, from mid 50s to upper 40s. When it's really cold out (in the 30s and below), I wear knee or leg warmers under tights.

Arm warmers (Terry boleros) are great too, but it's probably better to invest in long-sleeved base layers (wool is best). You can wear them under short-sleeve jerseys and wear them with other layers on colder days.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    I rarely use my leg/arm warmers. Instead, I wear a mid weight wool jersey and capri length bottoms. It's pretty comfortable in the mid- 50/70 F degree range and I don't have to keep up with 4 pieces.

Leg and Arm Warmers

Thanks, ladies, for your suggestions. I guess it's time to invest in something for the cooler temps. My shorts can be a little chilly on the knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rabbit View Post
    Thanks, ladies, for your suggestions. I guess it's time to invest in something for the cooler temps. My shorts can be a little chilly on the knees.
    I really like my leg warmers for anything below 57 degrees or so - it differs from person to person depending on how your extremities tolerate the temps with the wind. I need something on my arms below 65 degrees though - if it is overcast have been known to wear a long-sleeved jersey below 69...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rabbit View Post
    You can just pull a pair of tights or regular exercise capri/knickers over your bike shorts too. I have a hard time keeping up leg warmers... they continuously roll down even when I tuck them under the leg opening on my shorts. It drives me nuts.

During weather where it goes from cool to warm during the day, it's just important that you can get this layer off and stuff it in a pocket or something when it gets too warm.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."

I love my knee and my arm warmers....if I get hot I just push them down and go on!

I LOVE my arm warmers, but I also use them for running, so they become a little more indispensable than if I were just wearing them for riding. For riding, they are most useful during fall and spring. Once the weather gets too cool for riding, I switch to heavier weight long sleeve jerseys and/or baselayers and/or jackets.

I have yet to get into knee/leg warmers - though I considered it when we were on our fall cycling tour. I brought them and wanted to try them out, but then the weather got way too warm.

I live in So. Cal, so it doesn't get as cold as many parts of the country. But it does get nippy. Today it was 38 at the start of my club ride. My usual cold weather gear is a regular weight jersey (as opposed to summer weight), arm warmers, vest and leggings (or tights or whatever you want to call them). I don't like leg warmers, because no matter how much I ride my bike, the back of my thighs are still squishy enough to squeeze out of the leg warmers. So there's always a squishy lump under my shorts where my leg warmers end. I, therefore, wear full leggings over my cycling shorts. I can get cycling leggings with padding, but I can usually reuse the leggings without washing them every time and don't want to buy multiple pairs of cycling pants in addition to my cycling shorts. I also prefer the flexibility of taking off the leggings if I get hot, though I rarely take them off. I kind of know now at what temp I need the leggings and, if it does get a little warm, I can take off my vest and arm warmers and typically I'm not too hot from leaving on the pants. My friend does the same.

I don't know the lowest temp my "cold weather uniform" can work for, but apparently it works fine in the 30's.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra