Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Nothing to wear for cool weather. Where do I start?

I live in Texas and until this past week, it has been in the 100 degree range. I own 1 sleeveless jersey and a pair of Terry shorts and Keen commuter sandals. They served me well until this cold front and now I need to start preparing for colder weather. What do I need first?

I'm guessing knickers will be fine until Dec-ish here in TX. Shoudl I get a long-sleeve jersey, shortsleeve jersey with arm warmers? Base layers? I feel so clueless!

I also just got some Sidi Dominators so at least my feet will be warm, but I'm wondering if I'll want toe covers to keep the chill out.

Help!

I'd have to start with socks, but see what feels cold when you ride. Some people never get cold legs and others need longer, warmer pants. Same with arms, head, and the need to block wind.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I would get, in no particular order, wool socks, a pair of shin length knickers (Shebeest makes a nice pair), a windproof jacket or vest, full fingered gloves, toe covers, a headband or light hat. Arm warmers are nice to have, too. You can get by without a cycling specific long sleeve jersey. I'd go with a wool baselayer instead. Just make sure it's a wicking material.

How cold will it ultimately get in your neck of the woods? I wear my knickers down to about 50-55 or so. Below that, I wear tights.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I prefer knee warmers to knickers, but that's just me. Longer legs tend to tug on the chamois, IME, plus you can take knee warmers off or roll them around your ankles as the day warms up.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I wear knickers until the tights come out. I have warmer ones for spring and fall cool days and lighter weight ones for summer.

Maybe some of the Utah modesty has rubbed off on me.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Normal winters in Houston avg in the low 50's and early morning rides will be in the mid 40's. Last winter was the only exception to that and it was much colder.

cold in Michigan today

I rode in 50 degree temps today with cold blustery north winds. I like my turtleneck silk long underware, it's great for wicking and is so lightweight you don't even know you have it on. I used to use it when I downhill skied, but that was before the knee surgery. I only wore the top today, not the bottoms as I had capris on. I wear socks and my legs don't get as cold as the rest of me. You can find all different weight silk underware here; http://www.wintersilks.com/longunder...1~&sc=AF0SEMGL

My ears tend to get cold too and I used a NeilPryde neoprene headband that was left over from my waterskiing days, it's so thin and so warm it kept me toasty, you can find it here; http://www.shopwiki.com/_NEIL+PRYDE+...50&o=350610435

I had little lightweight gloves and wore a hoodie over the silk long underware, I was just fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aHR0cDovL3d3dy5iYXJ0c3dhdGVyc3BvcnRzLmNvbS9pbWFnZXMvUHJvZHVjdC9sYXJnZWltYWdlLTQwMjIuanBn==.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	12001  
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

I need FF gloves pretty much any time it's below 65°F.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Bike Writer, my boss's wife is a designer for winter silks. THey have a store in my town. I will have to check their store for a base layer.
    Alison - mama of 2 (8yo and 6yo)
    2009 Independent Fabrication steel Crown Jewel SE
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

another houstonian (katy) biker answers

My go to cooler weather around here is a pair of mesh arm covers, , short sleeved jersey with an underlayer, mesh or wool depending- my core gets cold easily, not my legs, a wind vest for cooler windy days, a pair of light long fingered gloves and wool socks. I have a windbreaker/raincoat that I wear if it gets below 45, but mostly I prefer to startout cold and warm up. Long fingered gloves because my hands get cold very easily. My headcovering/ head neck layer is a normal buff which makes a lightweight hood/ear covering under the helmet or ad an extra neck layer.

Since the majority of body heat is lost through the head, I find the buff extremely helpful and I find that if I can keep hands, feet and head warm- the rest follows.

Everything but the raincoat fit easily in a jersey pocked as I layer down. The jacket does as well but it takes a bit more work.

Good lulck

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Another Houston biker here... some of this depends on how early you plan to ride in the winter... if you are doing the MS150 training series, you will be out early and need some warm clothes.

I swear by either knickers or knee warmers. I am one of those people that my knees have to be warm or I am not happy (nor are they!). I have a long sleeved jersey, but I usually just wear a shortsleaved or sleavless one with my bolero (I don't like arm warmers) with a jacket. I have a couple of jackets.. some warmer than others. If you only buy one, get a lighter weight one that the sleaves zip off to make it a vest.. VERY useful here as the days get warmer.

I second the suggestion to get some full fingered gloves... you will be much happier that first 45 degree morning! I also have an ear warmer, and I do have toe covers.. they are OK, and do help from getting a wind chill in the front mesh parts of the shoes...

If it gets colder than what this is good enough for, I will either add some wool layers and some running tights over my shorts/capris... or I will just wait until noon when it is warmer out or stay in all together!

Good luck!
    Ellen
    Support me in my fight against MS!
    http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/Ellen.Mallman

I really like the water resistant wind jacket, where the sleeves zip off and stuff in a pocker if you get warm and so the jacket turns into a wind vest, or you can stuff the entire jacket into a pocket and it can tie to the seat post or around the waist; my jacket is made by Canari and a cycling friend liked the concept so much she bought one for herself. Under the jacket I wear a long sleeve jersey, either light weight or fleece, depending upon the temperature, and I can push up the sleeves if necessary if the jacket or jacket sleeves come off. It is easy to stay warm with a wind jacket on. And of course knickers or tights, and tights with some water protection too.

One new thing I am preparing to purchase is a pair of the water proof wind resistant mildly fleece lined road shoes, shaped sort of like a mid-rise lightweight hiking boot. It should mean I won't have to use the shoe protectors on cold, rainy days anymore.

Smile

I'm in Austin, and ride year round. I started off with leg warmers but they have a tendency to fall down. I once got a series of flats while out in the Fort Davis area that required me to walk the bike the last mile or so. The leg warmers were falling and the temperatures were too--not pleasant. Now I have knickers and tights. Knickers would probably be fine with tall wool socks.
    I always wear wool socks because of the wicking action, but I wear a heavier pair when it's chilly with toe warmers and full finger gloves.
    I have a "summer weight" long sleeve jersey that I have never, ever worn in the summer in Texas but layered over a Ibex wool camisole works well on those Spring and Fall days that start chilly but warm up. I push the sleeves up if it gets too warm.
    And I have a cheap polarfleece headband that I wear over my ears.
    Finally, when it is particularly cold, I head for the hills. Nothing warms me up better!

FYI REI is having a sale starting the 8th. That jacket I want appears to be 25% off. I'm in Wisconsin and it is a little on the heavy side. I definitely plan to get it. I can't decide between small and medium. Small looks better but Medium would allow for more layering...
    Alison - mama of 2 (8yo and 6yo)
    2009 Independent Fabrication steel Crown Jewel SE
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV