Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hello from a Newcomer

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just wanted to introduce myself before I started posting/responding to posts, so anyway, hello! I'm calling myself FionaBrava after my bike, a Bianchi Brava which I've named Fiona for some reason (it's a good name). I bought her in March - I was on a hybrid before that - and have been riding her a few times a week, but I'm aiming to become a better, stronger cyclist.

I consider myself new to cycling even though I've been casually biking for 2 years... only recently have I decided that I needed to learn about how to be a better rider. This is mainly because I'm getting roped into doing the Seattle to Portland next year (my longest ride has only been about 40-45 miles) and I have no idea how I am going to begin to prepare, even though it's a year away. I think that maybe it would be a good idea to start now so that I'm already in shape when the real training begins. I'm not the most athletic person, although I'd like to be, but I hit mental walls and would love to work on breaking them.

So, any advice for a newbie? I just moved to Seattle - how does one go about starting a training regimen when the rainy/cold season is set to begin any minute now and dark during the work commute? How do I even start learning to be a better rider?
    Last edited by FionaBrava; 10-01-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Well, you have a good start at becoming a better rider, just by being on this site. You'll get a lot of information here.

Do you know of a cycling club in your area? You should look into that. The best way to get better is to ride with more experienced riders and learn from them. Plus it motivates you to get out and ride if you have a plan to meet at a specific time. Ask around at your local bike shops for any info on a club, or search online.

If there aren't any clubs in your area, if you could at least find a friend or two to ride with, that would be great.

Seattle to Portland is a great goal. My friend did it a year ago. The way you train to do any length mileage is to work up to it. Find a century or two to do before Seattle to Portland. Work up to those by doing one long ride per week, probably on the weekend. Start with 40, then add five or ten miles a week until you can do at least 70 or so a week or two before your first century. If you find you are having a lot of trouble accomplishing a certain distance, like 60 and can't imagine going further, then stick with the 60 or even 50 for a while so your body can get used to that ... then move on. During the week, try to get in two or three shorter rides. All of this is developing base miles, which will get your body used to riding and ready for S to P.

When S to P is maybe two or three weeks away, you might want to do a back to back long ride of 70 to 75 each day, to simulate your goal. You don't have to do the full distance in training in order to do it at the event. you might want to do shorter back to back rides even and build up to the 70. But first find a century and train for that.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Jiffer; 10-01-2010 at 08:14 PM.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

FionaBrava, welcome! You picked a beautiful name for your bike and handle.

Wow, see what good advice you have already, this is a great place to learn about all the aspects of cycling. I'm afraid I can't add anything to what is posted above as I am not a distance cycler. But I can extend a warm and hearty welcome!
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Hi and welcome, I'm also new here and new to cycling.

Welcome. I guess you have to decide how commited to riding in the rain you are. There is plenty of great rain gear you can buy and lights for night riding. If not get yourself a good trainer and go to spinning classes. I ride in the rain all winter and I like it better than a trainer but its not for everyone. Also so many people do STP you shouldn't have too much trouble finding people to train with,just make sure you register early I have friends that didn't get in this year. Good luck
    I like bikes, sometimes more than my husband