Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

bike hooks on the train

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yesterday, I took my bike on board the commuter train for the first time. I had some trouble with the bike hook. I couldn't lift the front end of the bike up that high! A nice guy helped me out, but he got off before I did and I had a difficult time getting my bike back down when I needed to get off.

I think that part of the problem was that I couldn't find a good spot to grab the front end to lift it up. The swaying train didn't help. The hook is also up really high - I couldn't reach it with my hand at all. Additionally, I commute on a Surly LHT; with my lock strapped to the rack and the other normal commuting gear the bike weighs in around 30 - 35 lbs, which is more than I am comfortable lifting that far over my head. I don't normally have trouble lifting or carrying the bike. I can load it into the car or carry it up stairs just fine, but lifting it over my head is another story.

I'd really like to take the train more. I can replace a 40 minute bumpy, noisy, usually-10-minutes-late bus ride with a quiet 10 minute train trip + 1.5 mile ride to my destination. Any advice on getting my front wheel all the way up to that hook?

That sounds like a great set up, I hope you can make it work. Is it possible for you to remove your gear and hang on to it instead of leaving it on the bike? My gear is the heaviest part of my bike. Well, other than myself.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Try this at home before you go back to the train. Grab ahold of your bike somewhere back by the chain stays or seat post area, act like you are wheelying your bike, i.e. bringing the front tire off the ground, grab the front tire (not near the frame or you will pinch your hand) to hold it straight. Pick the bike up from the chain stay/seat post area. This way you don't have to actually lift your arms over your head, only to say about waist high. You have more strength with your arms lower and not totally extended. Place on hook and release. When you take the bike down, hopefully you can grab the handlebars, put your hand on the tire of the back wheel, lift up till the bike is released from the hook, grab the handlebars as it comes down wala, you are set.

This is the best description I can give you without actually doing this. I have a hook in the garage that is hard to reach that I hang my bikes on so this is sort of what I do.

Try it out at home to figure out what works for you.
    The key is not to have to extend your arms way over your head!

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    Is it possible for you to remove your gear and hang on to it instead of leaving it on the bike?
    The gear I'm referring to is the front and rear racks, fenders, U-lock (bungeed to the rear rack) and sometimes my lunch box, which also gets bungeed to the rack. I had already removed my pannier (25 lbs of textbooks). I really wish that I could schlep around less stuff.

spokewench, it sounds to me like you are saying to pick up on the seatpost with my right hand (stronger hand) and steady the front wheel with the left hand, correct? So this way I could possibly balance the center of mass over my right hand, down low?

Quote Originally Posted by spokewench View Post
    grab the front tire (not near the frame or you will pinch your hand) to hold it straight.
    If grabbing the front tire is still too far overhead, try a bungee cord to keep it straight. That leaves both hands free to grab the bike further back/down.

try this

First flip the bike upright on its back wheel. Put the saddle against your stomach, bending you knees to get low enough. Grasp the downtube or one of the seatstays as far away from you as you can reach. Hold the handlebars straight with the other hand. Now straighten your knees to lift the bike and raise your lower arm to get the bike higher. If you still can't get the bike as high as that hook, try bending your knees even more before you start.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

DebW's got it right. I hang my bikes from a hook at home, and found the flopping front wheel made it hard to hang up or take down so I hang two of my bikes by the rear tire. That way, I can grab them much lower, by the downtube/toptube near the head tube, and can lift them right off.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

Quote Originally Posted by soprano View Post
    The gear I'm referring to is the front and rear racks, fenders, U-lock (bungeed to the rear rack) and sometimes my lunch box, which also gets bungeed to the rack. I had already removed my pannier (25 lbs of textbooks). I really wish that I could schlep around less stuff.

spokewench, it sounds to me like you are saying to pick up on the seatpost with my right hand (stronger hand) and steady the front wheel with the left hand, correct? So this way I could possibly balance the center of mass over my right hand, down low?
    Yes

short

I also have this problem. I have to lift my bike up and forward to get it on the hooks on the light rail. My hybrid bike weighs a third of my body weight and I cannot lift it that high that quickly. Instead I have to stand with my bike, and if i try to sit while holding my bike the train conductor yells at me.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Thankfully we don't have that type of hanging bike system on local commuter/light rail trains in Greater Vancouver nor in Greater Toronto Area. Forget it. One just rolls the bike onto train car. General rule is only a bike at each end within each car. Of course, people squish on board..

Would never recommend that type of system for bikes on trains. Just fraught with enough problems..and hardly encourages multi-modal travel.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I've had quite a bit of success asking for help.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    I've had quite a bit of success asking for help.
    I do that when taking heavy luggage on the train. I call it the Blanche DuBois method -- depending on the kindness of strangers.