Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Running Shoes with a Wide Toebox

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know I've read some discussion about runners with wide toeboxes around here, but I can't figure out where it is now!

Anyway, I've got duck feet with normal heels and wide toes. I'm currently running in Adidas Supernovas (have been for the past 3-4 pairs of shoes), but it seems like the toebox on this shoe is shrinking with every pair.

I'm ramping up my training for my first marathon soon, so I'd like to buy a nice, new pair of shoes.

What shoes are you other ladies with wide toes running with?
    2010 Scott Speedster Limited/Bontrager Inform RL
    2008 Cannondale Rush 2 Feminine/Terry Butterfly
    2005 Cannondale F400/Terry Butterfly

I used to be a die-hard NB gal, D/Wide widths. Unfortunately, when they swapped their SL-1 last for the newer PL-1 last even their wide shoes were sometimes narrower than other manufacturer's mediums.

I wear the Nike Lunarfly+ on the road and Mizuno Wave Ascend for trails. I may go back to NB for trails when they come out with the Minimus, though. I want something more minimal, but with a wide toebox (the Mizuno is an almost perfect fit, but is a bit clunky, I find).

You didn't state what sort of shoe you need, but the Nike Lunarglide tends to have a pretty roomy toebox. It ended up being too much shoe for me, but it really fit nicely. Nike doesn't do widths on a lot of shoes, but their shoes run wider than they did a few years back, from what I have been told.

Saucony also comes in widths with many of their models. Their heels tend to slip on me, otherwise I would probably really like their shoes.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

There are no traditional running shoes wide enough and short enough for my foot, so I now run in VFF's or Terra Plana shoes.

Prior to that, I was a fan of certain NB shoes (all of which are now outdated and no longer made). I used to be able to wear a 6.5 D...but now even that size is too narrow for me.

Kirsten - I'm really surprized about the Nike Lunarfly shoes! I've NEVER had luck with any of their shoes because they ran so narrow. Interesting to learn that it's changed in recent years (I haven't tried Nike shoes in 7+ years).
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I run in Feelmax Osmas, which have a great roomy toebox, but are also very minimal -- which may or may not be what you're looking for.
    Sarah
    2008 Specialized Dolce

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    I don't have much experience with a lot of running shoes, but when I tried on a bunch of recommended shoes at a local running store - the shoe that seemed to me to have the most room in the toes - and the pair I got - were the Asics Gel Evolution 5s. They are maximum support for flat footed over pronators like me.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Brooks shoes have a wide toe box.
    Specialized Amira Expert WSD, Ruby Expert
    Trek Madone 5.2 WSD, Bontrager Affinity 2 WSD
    Trek Madone 4.5 WSD, Bontrager Affinity 1 WSD

I have huge duck feet.

Believe it or not I'm in Nike right now. I about fell on the floor when the shoe guy suggested them.

They're the Zoom Triax Structure 13. They come in Wide, and even in the wide width my heels don't slip (with the lace lock through the second holes the way I always lace my shoes, anyway).

The heel-to-toe drop on these shoes is a lot more than I'd like, but until I find a better pair, the fact that they fit on my feet is worth more than anything. They fit considerably better than anything I've ever worn before.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by pfunk12 View Post
    Brooks shoes have a wide toe box.
    That's definitely not been my experience, but maybe they are just curved enough that they've felt narrow to me. I can't do a curved last at all, much less if it's not a true wide width.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    Kirsten - I'm really surprized about the Nike Lunarfly shoes! I've NEVER had luck with any of their shoes because they ran so narrow. Interesting to learn that it's changed in recent years (I haven't tried Nike shoes in 7+ years).
    The Lunarfly is still narrower than the Lunarglide, but I can get by in either. Maybe they just stretch a bit more than other makes. I'm still pretty mad at NB for ever ruining the best shoe ever--the 902. Dear gawd, I loved that shoe. The 903 was a weird fit and the 904 on the new last was a horrible fit for me--to get it wide enough it was 2 sizes too long. I gave up on NB after trying 3 different shoes on the new last and not liking the fit of any of them. Before that I could pretty much buy any NB shoe in an 8D and know it would fit my foot perfectly.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Thanks for all the replies so far! I knew there were a bunch of us around here

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    You didn't state what sort of shoe you need.
    I'm looking for a road shoe. I don't need a corrective shoe, but I do still run in a regular cushioned one. I've got a pair of VFFs that I've been doing short trail runs on, but I'm really not ready to do the kind of mileage I need to in a minimalist shoe right now!

I have a relatively high arch too.

Quote Originally Posted by Syndirelah View Post
    Hi! Which Supernova shoe do you wear? (There are a few, Riot, Ride, etc etc)..
    From what I can tell, they are an older Sequence 2 model. I bought them this season, but I think that we're little behind the US and Canadian coastal areas here in Saskatoon! I like these shoes, but I could stand a little extra room in the toe box. That problem isn't going to go away with additional miles.

It's nice to get some advice before going to the store. I swear I have to try on every shoe in the store when I need new footwear of any kind.

I'd recommend Asics as well - I can't remember the specific model I used to wear (it isn't made anymore) but that's the only brand of shoe I've ever needed a narrow width in because of how much room they had.

Speaking of NB-- I just spoke with a rep today. Zoom-Zoom, they are coming out (or maybe just came out with?) a shoe thats neutral and meant to rival the Lunar series in Nike. It might be another option for you to look at! NB is also getting ready to change all the numbers and keep them that way... thank goodness. I can't keep them all straight!
    Ooh, nice--when might these be available? I wish they would come out with names of some sort, like everyone else. But if they at least came out with #s and then did something like 902-2, 902-3, etc....at least that would make sense. That recycling once they get through the # series makes things even more confusing.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Not really sure about the curved fit. I do know that I need a shoe that fits my narrow foot but has a wide toe box and the Brooks shoes that I've worn have worked well for me. But given that every shoe company sells tons of different shoes (guidance vs. neutral vs. support, etc.), maybe the ones that I wore are wider than their other shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    That's definitely not been my experience, but maybe they are just curved enough that they've felt narrow to me. I can't do a curved last at all, much less if it's not a true wide width.
    Specialized Amira Expert WSD, Ruby Expert
    Trek Madone 5.2 WSD, Bontrager Affinity 2 WSD
    Trek Madone 4.5 WSD, Bontrager Affinity 1 WSD

Quote Originally Posted by Ambikes View Post
    Thanks for all the replies so far! I knew there were a bunch of us around here

I'm looking for a road shoe. I don't need a corrective shoe, but I do still run in a regular cushioned one. I've got a pair of VFFs that I've been doing short trail runs on, but I'm really not ready to do the kind of mileage I need to in a minimalist shoe right now!

I have a relatively high arch too.

From what I can tell, they are an older Sequence 2 model. I bought them this season, but I think that we're little behind the US and Canadian coastal areas here in Saskatoon! I like these shoes, but I could stand a little extra room in the toe box. That problem isn't going to go away with additional miles.

It's nice to get some advice before going to the store. I swear I have to try on every shoe in the store when I need new footwear of any kind.
    Since you're in a stability shoe right now (the Sequence 2), my suggestion for a wider toe box would be the Nike Structure Triax 13. I was an avid Adidas Supernova Sequence wearer, too...and just like you, I found that the newer models were starting to squish my toes more and more. On the recommendation of my local running store, I tried the Nike Triax and was pleasantly surprised at how roomy they are in the toe box...very squared off at the front of the shoe...unlike many of their other models. I have since moved on to the Nike Free Run+, which is also quite roomy but is considered a minimalist type of shoe...so very little support and cushioning. But I would say try the Triax 13 and see how it feels for you.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Syndirelah - Thanks for all the advice. I really wish someone who knows as much as you about shoes worked at my local running store. They are not really known for employing experienced and/or knowledgeable people

To the OP- Do you know if you measure wide? (B or D width)?
    I wear a B width shoe right now. Some time ago, I had a horrible experience with a NB D width shoe (don't remember which model). I have tried some Ds on since then, but I tend to feel like my heels are slopping around in most of them, so never bought another pair. After reading zoom-zoom's comments, though, I wonder if maybe the last on those NBs was just too flat for me. The problem with those shoes was that everything from the arch back slid around a bit, which led to giant arch blisters 4 miles into a 10 mile race in wet conditions. Not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    Since you're in a stability shoe right now (the Sequence 2), my suggestion for a wider toe box would be the Nike Structure Triax 13. I was an avid Adidas Supernova Sequence wearer, too...and just like you, I found that the newer models were starting to squish my toes more and more. On the recommendation of my local running store, I tried the Nike Triax and was pleasantly surprised at how roomy they are in the toe box...very squared off at the front of the shoe...unlike many of their other models. I have since moved on to the Nike Free Run+, which is also quite roomy but is considered a minimalist type of shoe...so very little support and cushioning. But I would say try the Triax 13 and see how it feels for you.
    Will do nscrbug. Thanks!