Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Saucony's

To disable ads, please log-in.

I love my Saucony's. They are coming out with a minimalist shoe and have lots of other options. I have duck feet with a narrow heel.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I had to replace my Nike Zoom Triax Structure 13's so I went to the running shoe store.

After showing the guy that yes, my feet really are that big (he said several times he couldn't believe how big they are ) he brought me a pair of Sauconys to try in addition to another pair of Triax (half a size bigger than my old ones ). I didn't even pay attention to what model Saucony ... but they had a very pointed toe box. They were probably as wide as the Nikes across the metatarsal arch, but they squished my toes all together. No go on those.

I also tried on a pair of Nike Free just for grins. There was a whole lot I liked about the way they felt. They don't come in Wide, so I tried on men's shoes. They had just as much room for my toes as the Triax, and I really liked not having the huge built-up heels. Downside, they were a lot wider in the heels than the Triax - but I don't know whether that's because they were men's shoes, or whether the women's version is made the same way. They also don't lace all that high on the instep and don't have an angled second hole, so I couldn't get as good a heel lock with the laces as I normally do.

Since I obviously was not going to race in the Free's two weeks from now after training in the Triax all summer, I didn't buy them, but they're still in the back of my head.

Just a fit note for you.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I also tried on a pair of Nike Free just for grins. There was a whole lot I liked about the way they felt. They don't come in Wide, so I tried on men's shoes. They had just as much room for my toes as the Triax, and I really liked not having the huge built-up heels. Downside, they were a lot wider in the heels than the Triax - but I don't know whether that's because they were men's shoes, or whether the women's version is made the same way.
    I'll bet it's because they are men's. This is why I have never bought men's shoes, even though a men's medium (D-width) would likely fit me well through the toes...that heel thing would be a deal-breaker. Men's heels aren't as narrow as women's. Plus men's shoes often don't come small enough to fit. I typically wear an 8-8.5 in women's running shoes.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I run in Chaco Z1 and Z2 sandals.

Very wide "toe box", no heel-toe drop (I measured it with a caliper, ignore the medial and lateral walls to the heel, it only *looks* higher), good arch support - including a long metatarsal portion, quite breathable, can be resoled and rewebbed, come in regular and wide widths.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Knott - or anyone else who runs in sandals or huaraches - how long did it take you to develop the calluses you need between your toes and across the tops of your feet?

And what do you do for blister prevention on the bottoms of your feet and toes? Will Compeed pads stay on, and/or will they get road grit underneath?

I needed a bigger toebox too, my LRS put me in a pair of Nike Zoom Vomero+ 5s. I really like them, but they might be too much shoe for your taste.

One thing you might try is roadrunnersports. com -- they have a shoe search, it helps you find shoes that might be a good fit for you.

It looks like the NB Minimus is scheduled for March 2011. Even though my "marathon career" is over, I'd be interested in seeing these.

Well, as long as a spammer has revived this thread ... as I posted elsewhere, Altra Intuition has a very square toebox, which is great, although unfortunately for me they're not particularly wide in the forefoot and don't come in widths.

According to the staff at a NB corporate store I visited recently, NB Minimus series uses the same last for women's and men's shoes, which is kind of odd, since they really pioneered women's athletic shoes back in the day. I'm wearing a pair of men's wide NB Minimus cross-trainers in the gym now and the heel slip isn't intolerable, so I'm considering a pair of the road shoes, even though the toe box is pointy and leaves a lot of clown shoe. Next year's model is supposed to have zero heel/toe drop (the current ones have 4 mm).

The Altra's weren't wide enough for my toes even though the shape is correct. I suspect if they came in a wide-width, they'd be perfect.

Currently, I'm now happily running in the NB Minimus trail (women's D width) and they are perfect for me, even for road running. I tried on the Minimus road (last years version) over the weekend and found them too cushy and not quite wide enough. Of course, the store didn't carry women's D width, so I was trying on the regular width. I had NO intentions of buying anything from them purely because the sales associate was horribly ill-informed and I didn't want to give them my business for that reason alone. She was rambling off all sorts of misinformation! She insisted that NB didn't make the Minimus in a wide width for women (multiple times) even though I told her that's what I run in. She told me I must be mistaken. Wrong thing to say to a customer - even if I had been wrong (which I wasn't, of course ).
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Anybody run in the Brooks Pure Connect yet? (2 mm drop) I wonder how they fit ...

ETA - but they don't come in wide. Sniff.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 10-11-2011 at 08:15 AM.

DW is running in these. Somewhat minimalist but very wide toe box. She says they are comfy. I have their hiking shoe and like them a lot. Also have duck toes so can attest they are good:

http://www.lemsshoes.com/womens-primal-2-slate.html
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Almost all of my streetwear shoes are Lems! I have four pairs of the Primals and two pairs of the Boulder boots in different colors. Also a pair of the Sweet Janes, which I don't like as much (too wide in the instep makes for a weird fit). But, they're too minimal for me to run in. I've bruised my foot more than once through a conventional sole, when one of the bigger rocks escapes the #57 screen, or when the top layer of stone washes away to expose the #4 underneath.

I don't know what I'm going to do when my last pair of Altra Torin 1.5 wears out. The 2.0 are made for someone with much greater foot volume than me, and I can't wear them. I'm trying out a pair of Skora Tempo - there's a lot I like about them, but they don't quite work for the shape of my rearfoot, there are a couple of places where they chafe pretty badly and I don't think I'll ever be able to do more than 6-8 miles at a time in them. For comparison, they're about the same shape and width in the forefoot as the wider Altras (Torin and One). Their more minimal shoe, the Phase, fits me better, but again, too minimal for me for road running.

I've a wide toe box and a narrow heel. I've found that Brooks Cascadia (trail runners), and Brooks Ghosts (regular runners) work well for me. My hiking boots are Salomon Comet 3D GTX and they are fantastic. I've a lot of foot issues and they make it possible for me to hike without pain.

Less than 2 weeks ago I tried on both the Brooks Cascadia and the Altra Lone Peak 2.5, among others.

I have a wide forefoot & narrow heel. I also have bunionettes on my right foot. The Cascadia toe box felt pretty narrow to me. Not sure why my experience was different than yours, Catrin - maybe a change with a newer model? The Altras felt WONDERFUL - the toe box was dreamy (no contact anywhere!) they were cushy and slipper-like. But the heel was very wide. I was heartbroken (although the zero drop concept sort of scares me). They let me take them outside and run around. Ran some tight circles in the grass, and felt like my whole foot rolled around inside. Probably not the best, since I was shopping for trail shoes for more rugged terrain. Also, I found that without special fancy lacing, the heel was so loose I could just twist the shoe right off my foot. I think they could be a dream shoe for somebody with a wide foot overall.

Had to give up on the trail shoes - out of everything I could find when we were in Appleton & Oshkosh Wisconsin, nothing worked better for me than my Salomon Speedcross. They fit really nice in the heel, and the toe box is just roomy enough for me (I'd rather it were slightly wider, but it works with minimal blisters)

I did find road shoes that worked. Nike Air Zoom Structure and Brooks Adrenaline. It was a tough decision, but I went with the Nikes (and Nikes generally don't work for me).

It was the next day when I crashed out on my trail run - have been on crutches ever since, so have not actually run in them
    Last edited by Skierchickie2; 06-30-2016 at 02:47 AM.

FWIW, the One and the Torin are on a last that's wider in the forefoot than Altra's other models.

I've always had to lock-lace my shoes. I don't consider it special or fancy. Lots of runners do that. I do have to cushion my flexor tendons with a little foam rubber though, so they don't get irritated by the laces.

I ran my first three or four marathons in the Nike Structure 13. Then they went through a few generations I couldn't wear at all. When they came out with the 17 (not sure what they're up to now), those would go on my feet, and I bought a pair, but the sole was super rigid, the "high heel" irritated my Achilles, and I wound up giving them away with less than 100 miles on them. I ran one in the Brooks Adrenaline in men's EEEE, even though they're heavy as concrete on my feet, because they were the closest to fitting I could find at the time, but my feet were in agony by the finish because they're just too narrow.

The other day I tried on the Hoka One One Bondi in men's wide, and they fit wonderfully. Significantly wider in the forefoot than the Altra Torin 1.5, without being any looser in the heel. Unfortunately (contrary to the reputation) the maximal sole is VERY squishy. They let me run outside in them a little bit, I just went up and down the sidewalk, and I could feel my weak ankle working very hard to stabilize. That is their most maximal shoe, and they have another model that comes in wide, but the store didn't have them in stock in my size, so I might yet try those. I think if the Brooks Adrenaline fit you, you should be good in most Hoka models in Medium width.

I've ordered a pair of the Skora Form (similar to the Tempo, but with a goatskin upper). They're way expensive, but Skora has a reasonably generous return policy, plus they were on sale, and I think the leather might solve some of the issues I have with the Tempos chafing. Then again, the soles on my Tempos are wearing out very, very quickly, and if it's the same sole, I don't know if I can justify a $180 shoe that only lasts 250 miles, unless I can't find anything else that's even close to fitting.

I'm intrigued by Carson. They've got foot outlines on their site for sizing, but for the life of me I can't get it to print in actual size. I have a feeling they'll be both too narrow and too minimal for my needs, but I love that they're USA made, so if I can't get the stupid thing to print I'm just going to measure with a ruler for proportions and do the arithmetic by hand.

I'm down to the last two pairs of Altra Torin 1.5 I stocked up on when they discontinued them - 100+ miles on one pair, just a few on the other. Need to find something else that works, pronto.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 07-11-2016 at 01:25 PM.