Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Interested in Quebec to Montreal (or Toronto?) tour in 2006?

Honestly, this is an idea I had yesterday that needs a whole lot of research - but I'm thinking next summer, so I've got some time to plan...

If anyone here might be interested in such a jaunt, feel free to let me know!

Also, I'd love to hear from anyone who might have any good tips for me about roads to take or avoid, etc.

Just throwing it out there...

be well.../julia

Quote Originally Posted by natheless
    Honestly, this is an idea I ha yesterday that needs a whole lot of research - but I'm thinking next summer, so I've got some time to plan...

If anyone here might be interested in such a jaunt, feel free to let me know!

Also, I'd love to hear from anyone who might have any good tips for me about roads to take or avoid, etc.

Just throwing it out there...
    Hey Julia, welcome to TE!

I did Montreal-Quebec as part of Le Grand Tour this Summer, and although it is nice, it is not the nicest ride you can do in Quebec. Do you have a specific reason for wanting to do it? It's known as a challenge for road rides who try to do it in just one day (a bunch of friends of mine had scheduled to do it today... poor them it's totally cold and wet and so windy that they're not going. A 10-hour ride in the cold rain... I'm happy they didn't go.). Many parts of that ride of it can be quite nice, especially when you're riding by the St-Laurent river, but others are... well, a little boring.

As for Quebec-Toronto, you obviously know that it's about 3 times a longer ride! I have never tried it but a friend of mine here in Vancouver has done it, I can ask her to join TE and she'll maybe tell us more about it.

I'm scheduled to do Montreal-Boston with my partner in the Spring, it should be a more scenic ride I think. (But definitely more hills...)

If you can read any French, I suggest you visit http://www.velocia.ca/forums and become a member there. There are lots of people with tremendous riding experience in Quebec.

Get back to me with your plans and ideas. You can also send me a private message.

Take care and looking forward to read more of you on TE!

Hi Grog -

I didn't have any very specific reason for thinking of Montreal-Quebec, except that I was in Montreal years ago and liked it, and have never been to Quebec, but admire pictures I've seen.

I found the Route Verte site since posting, and have been exploring that... http://www.routeverte.com/ang/index.lasso Now, I'm considering starting in Quebec and heading east...

I guess my basic interest is in doing some sort of tour in eastern Canada - if it would be on my own, then I think I'd rather do just a few days... but if I can find someone else to join me, then a longer tour would be more doable.

Thanks so much for your input - if you convince your friend to join TE, I'd definitely be interested in hearing about her Toronto-Quebec experience.

be well.../julia

I'd love to hear the plans you are making for this--the roads and style of travel (panniers/trailer/camping, etc).....Have you considered going Montreal -Ottawa? This route is one I am currently looking at--but for me-of course--it would be Ottawa-Montreal.

Quote Originally Posted by natheless
    I found the Route Verte site since posting, and have been exploring that... http://www.routeverte.com/ang/index.lasso Now, I'm considering starting in Quebec and heading east...
    That sounds much more exciting to me!

Be aware that the Route Verte covers only small parts of the interesting cycling routes of Quebec. But it's a good way to start tracing your route. But DO make sure you check out the other guidebooks there are around (there's at least one published by Ulysses that is available in English but I'm sure there's more).

Also check out the Vélo Québec Voyage web page for some ideas. (http://www.velo.qc.ca and then the "Travel" tab... They offer a few nice trips (of the all-inclusive kind) and you can read the descriptions online. Also check out Le Grand Tour, at about 725$ (for the camping option) for 8 days of cycling, all meals and your gear carried by them, I still think it's a steal.

Let me know when your trip begins to take shape! Maybe I'll be around Montreal when you go and I can do part of the trip with you. It would be a pleasure to meet a fellow member of Team Estrogen!!