Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Xootr kick scooter

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anybody got one?

I've been yearning for one for a while. (basically I yearn for any wheeled conveyance that progresses via human power)

Seems ideal for my short couple-miles trek to my bus stop, fold it up on the bus, store it safely under my desk at work, bus and scoot home.

Midlife crisis time again, so I neeeeeeeed to feed a yearning. (hey, it's cheaper than a Surly Big Dummy with Stoke Monkey! And probably more practical, too...)

I'm thinking of a Xootr Ultra Cruz or Xootr Mg. http://www.xootr.com/kick-scooter_cruz.html And I would get the fender/rear brake.

Would love to hear anyone's experiences with either, or with any other Xootr product. I'm quite pleased that they are made in the USA, so I don't mind paying $$ to support US jobs.

ETA: oooh, VIDEO! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a-nv...layer_embedded
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 09-28-2010 at 07:16 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

We've had Xootrs for about 9 years. They are excellent urban transport, and should be perfect for the situation you describe. I take mine on the subway all the time. They are well-made, don't need much maintenance, and are fun to ride.

Over the years, we've had every model they make, and there's not much difference. The choice is largely personal preference. I have the Roma, and feel I get greater kicking efficiency from the narrower deck. I also think the narrower deck is easier to deal with when it's folded.

The MG deck is a tad lower, and some people think they get greater kick efficiency that way. You also feel bumps a little less on the MG due to the magnesium deck.

You do need a fairly smooth surface to really enjoy a Xootr. Doesn't have to be perfectly smooth, but very bumpy or cracked sidewalk is annoying. I recommend getting the carrying strap.

THANK YOU!!!

That's what I needed, a cyclist's review of the Xootr!

About 10 years ago I was in Europe and saw adults everywhere in the cities riding kick scooters as part of their transportation. Ever since then I've wanted one.

I will probably get one (through one of my LBSes) this weekend, because I'm greedy like that.

BTW, I loved my bike locker at the transit center, but I got very tired of chasing stoners and drunks away from the door so I could get in, and very tired of the mountains of cigarette butts and used condoms that ended up washing into it. I gave up on the bike locker as part of my commute.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Cool video. I just scootered around the dining room to see if I put my foot that far forward -- not quite.

I thought bike lockers would be heaven, but I guess that depends on circumstances.

Hope you like your Xootr.

We have the Razor (?) scooters at my office. To ride around in the building.

I don't know how they compare to the ones you're looking at, but my only negative experience was hitting a wall once pretty hard b/c my company president popped out of nowhere and I didn't want to hit him.

They are, in my experience, a lot of fun and not difficult to navigate unless you're in a room full of cubicles and support columns. I couldn't use it to get to the restaurants, etc. up the street because the office complex forbid them on the sidewalks (boo).

I hope not to run into any walls... but I do intend to wear a helmet. Already had one head injury (from a bike wreck without a helmet) and really don't want another.

Also figure I'll wear my day-glo biking vest.

I don't mind people saying, "Oh, look, what a NERD!!" as long as they aren't saying, "Oh, sh#t, sorry, I didn't see you!"

And I might just have to put my Tyrannosaurus rex squeaky horn on the handlebar!

One thing I forgot: Xootr tires are VERY different from bike tires.

After I started cycling a lot, I had a couple of crashes on the Xootr, which I'd been riding for years. Couldn't figure out why I'd suddenly forgotten how to safely ride a Xootr.

Then it dawned on me -- I was trying to scooter over obstacles (like manhole covers) that the bike handles just fine but the Xootr doesn't. My brain wasn't making the switch from bike to Xootr.

Luckily my brain can now handle switching between these two very different vehicles, but I really had to pay attention for a while.

I goooooot onnnnne!

Xootr Cruz.

Played with it at lunch, when I bought it. It is SO MUCH FUN!

Now I'm intrigued. Please share all of your new adventures
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I'm soooooooo jealous! If I had remotely anywhere to ride one...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Ride Report: First Ride on my Xootr Cruz

This is what I bought during my lunch break today http://xootr.com/kick-scooter_cruz.html

I'm sure it was a very healthful choice for lunch!

Played around with it when I bought it, and now I just got back from my first "real" ride. Sweaty and happy!

Even though it has front (hand) and rear (stomp fender) brakes, and bars, and a front wheel that steers left and right; I found it works best if I think of it as a skateboard. As soon as I ditched the "scooter" mindset and thought "skateboard" my ol' body said "oh, yeah!" and I was flying.

Mind you, I haven't ridden a skateboard for real in at least 30 years, but it's amazing how you just find yourself doing all the right things! And how quickly you rediscover bad habits. As on my board, I feel like I want to *always* have my left foot on the front and my right foot doing all the pushing. It's so sleek and awesome that way! But I really want to learn good habits on the Xootr, so I forced myself to do some left-foot pushing. After a while it became a fun challenge to swoop as beautifully leading with my right as I did leading with my left. (I've never been able to stand on the back of a board and push with the foot that would rest on the front of the board, and don't expect I ever will.)

It was fairly easy to switch feet on the fly, and to strategically unweight the Xootr at cracks and bumps by doing a push at the right moment. Easier than a board, because you've got that handlebar to help with the whole business.

Once I got into the skateboard mindset with the Xootr and I felt pretty comfortable with it, I started playing with the brakes and the steering. Turns out I was steering all along without realizing it, much the same as I would on a bike (steer with mostly body weight, and just enough front wheel turn to add a bit of spice). I figured I had that one down, and didn't mess with it any further. The brakes, however, were another matter. I'm not sure I really grasp the whole brakes deal on the Xootr yet. I ended up using them as a means to slow the thing down enough that I could put my foot down to decelerate the rest of the way. I'm ok with that.

The deck itself is a dream. Wide and roomy, and on the Cruz it is quite pretty laminated birch. The sandpaper grip is fine with my Keens in dry conditions. (I was a bit put off by the surface texture of the Mg, but if I want to switch to a magnesium deck I can buy one later and change it myself.) I had no issues with hitting the wide deck with my ankle as I pushed. Guess my wide hips came in handly there...

The bars have foam grips, which I actually like. They absorb a lot of road buzz.

The front brake lever is darn near the exact same lever as on one of my bikes. I was thrown a bit by the front brake lever being on the right side of the bar, but I got over it pretty quickly.

The rear stomp brake does a lot more for me than the front brake. Took me a few times before I found the sweet spot on the fender. It's a very effective brake. (at least in the dry conditions I just rode in)

I don't think I'll ride the Xootr for my commute tomorrow. I want to practice a bit more first. I must say, this little Xootr thang has given me a whole new thrill in my middle-aged universe!

(get one! You know you want to!)

ETA: I wore my helmet.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 09-29-2010 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    We have the Razor (?) scooters at my office. To ride around in the building.

I don't know how they compare to the ones you're looking at, but my only negative experience was hitting a wall once pretty hard b/c my company president popped out of nowhere and I didn't want to hit him.

They are, in my experience, a lot of fun and not difficult to navigate unless you're in a room full of cubicles and support columns. I couldn't use it to get to the restaurants, etc. up the street because the office complex forbid them on the sidewalks (boo).
    Are you're scooters motorized? If yes, it's possible they are not legal in your area.. Here's Jefferson county's statement on these things. http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco...s/scooters.pdf

No, they're not motorized. Also, those scooters are in our corporate office complex in Virginia. It's just one of those humongous multi-use office/retail/restaurant complexes that hires rent-a-cops to keep kids from skateboarding on the sidewalks. I have a feeling if I'd gone out in office attire, no one would have said anything, but since I wear jeans to work I doubt I could've gotten away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    I must say, this little Xootr thang has given me a whole new thrill in my middle-aged universe!

(get one! You know you want to!)
    That's exactly how I felt. Glad you are having fun with it. The Cruz decks are so pretty.

I'm glad you got the Xootr. We wanna see pictures.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/