Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Shimano triple question

To disable ads, please log-in.

Does anybody out there know if I can run a 9 speed rear with a triple up front? The kit came with a 10 speed rear, but I want the 9. It's all 105's. I am assuming I can if I make sure to use a 9 speed chain. Any thoughts?
    Lookit, grasshopper....

My bike has a triple and a 9-speed cassette. I bought it that way. Originally all 105 except for a Tiagra front derailleur, which was replaced by an Ultegra FD when the Tiagra broke.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Little View Post
    Does anybody out there know if I can run a 9 speed rear with a triple up front? The kit came with a 10 speed rear, but I want the 9. It's all 105's. I am assuming I can if I make sure to use a 9 speed chain. Any thoughts?
    You can do it - you're just going to have a ghost shift on the rear derailleur. I think.

I have 105 on my bike, double up front with a 10 speed in the rear. When I bought a new wheelset, it had a 9 speed cassette on it - still 105. I just tossed them on and rode a little, but had issues. The LBS told me my shifters were built for 10 speed, so I would either have to change them or get a 10 speed cassette. Since I use my original wheelset with different tires, I got another cassette.
    By the way, my front shifters are set to accommodate a triple even though I have a double, so I'm familiar with that ghost shift. It just didn't work on the rear.
    Jenn K
    Centennial, CO
    Love my Fuji!

What is meant by a ghost shift in the rear is different than the trim shift in the front. It's more about setting the limit of the derailleur to accommodate 9 cogs so that the 10th gear click doesn't move the derailleur any farther.

My question is what is in the kit versus what you want to keep? Do you just want to keep a 9sp wheel and chain but have 10 speed shifters and derailleurs? Your rear derailleur and rear shifter aren't going to like this idea.

Getting to the triple front, the spacing might be off for use with a 9sp chain, though at least you'll be using a 10sp shifter. If you bought a 10 speed group, then just put it all on there. What is the reason you want to keep a 9sp cassette?