Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How do you drive 3 miles with a bike under your SUV and not know it???????

To disable ads, please log-in.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

how do you think you hit a deer and not stop to check on the car?

Maybe if her music was up high, she didn't hear noises of the bike scraping underneath, but you'd think it'd effect steering or driving

You think you mowed over a deer and you don't stop? That's awful, just right there

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Just another sign that our cars are WAY too big these days! Even if you "hit a deer" like the lady said she thought she did... Wouldn't most people stop to check out their car? Check out the animal? I don't know, I've never hit a deer before, but I think that would have been my reaction. Something is not right about this lady's story. Was she drunk maybe?
    "Namaste, B*tches!"

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Washcycle posted about it (before the poor woman died).

There's a video embedded there that shows the SUV...it has a flat front tire and major damage to the front end. With that much damage, even if it was "just" a deer - you would think she would have stopped.

Still...Maybe she thought the horrible grinding noise under the front of her car was the deer and she was too freaked out to stop and see what a mangled mess she had made to it. Or...(more likely?) somethings not right with her story.

I hit a deer once - with a Honda Civic. But I saw that it was a deer. I saw it sit on my hood. Smelled the sweat and barn-like odor of it in my car. And I saw it run away.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Actually - living in the same area generally as the woman - hitting a deer is kind of normal. There's waaay too many of them in the greater DC area - hunting isn't allowed in the surburban areas of Maryland or Virginia, there's no natural predators. At any given point I can walk out onto the balcony of my bf's house and there's usually about 7 deer sitting in his back yard. Driving down the road to his house at night, most of the lawns have deer in them. I 've had deer run out and cross the highway in front of me.

Deer have a tendancy to panic and run out in the road at you - if you hit them, if they can, they run away. I've hit deer before (where I'm slamming on the brakes, the car hits them but not too hard), they look at you, and they run away. For something like that, I don't usually get out to look at the car. I will definitely pay extra attention to how the car is running or feels.

I'd have to look at the article again, but it sounds like the woman that was driving hit the cyclists around 5 am and was going to her home - was she driving home after working all night?

I have no sympathy for the driver as well it was just an accident. I don't buy I just hit a deet so I drove home. And why would you drive home with that much damage to your car?

She may have "accidently" hit the cyclist but what she did after the collision is criminal!!

With the amount of damage to that vehicle (and flat tire) there is no way she could have just driven home and not known there was a problem. Much less probably sparks flying up from the bike scraping the ground or at least the car not driving properly. My guess, out partying late or DUI, really neglectful. She's an idiot and should be charged. If she's not sure what she hit she should have stopped. It might have made the difference between life and death. Leaving the scene of an "accident with injuries".

This is mind boggling! I have a hard time believing she didnt get out to look at the damage before going on home!!

I was driving on a very foggy road one morning and saw a deer on the side of the road. I saw it's movement and had time to think "no!!!" before it ran out right in front of my car. It bounced off the windshield and left fur and some blood streaks on the front of my car. I was so shocked it did take me about 300 feet to stop but the deer had bounced up and ran away.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but here we are again with the strict liability vs. mens rea.

There's basically no downside if an automobile driver leaves after killing a bicyclist or pedestrian. As shockingly immoral as it is, it's actually the sensible thing to do. The next day - or whenever you hear the cops are hot on the trail of your car - you turn yourself in. You're sober and they can't prove anything about what your mental state was when it happened. So at worst you get a little ticket for failure to control.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I've hit a deer in an old 69 Chevy pickup truck and it seriously screwed up the truck and I was only going 45. There is no waaaaaay you can convince me she didn't know SOMETHING was wrong! I think she was drunk.

That poor girl, it makes me sick thinking about it.

oh how horrifying that poor young woman
    Alison - mama of 2 (8yo and 6yo)
    2009 Independent Fabrication steel Crown Jewel SE
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

One article I read said that the woman thought it was a deer & didn't want to stop because of how early in the morning it was - and that she & her husband found the bike underneath - so I guess if you're 4 miles from home and you want your husband to check what's going on, just driving home makes some sense. I also don't know how dangerous or not that section of town is. (Lots of people perceive parts of the DC area to be dangerous)

I'm just glad the bike rider wasn't dragged with the bike for 4 miles.

I keep thinking how awful it must have been for the victim. That poor girl. This is just tragic. I don't want to pass judgment on the woman that hit her without knowing more facts but it leaves me with a lot of suspicion.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Notice where the bulk of the impact damage is to the front of her vehicle...it's on the driver's side. How would that happen unless she was driving way over on the shoulder or even a bit off the road. Something's rotten in the state of Denmark and I have a feeling that it involves alcohol and/or intentionally striking that young woman. There is no other explanation for that level and pattern of damage to the vehicle. If this woman walks there should be some major outrage and not just from the cycling community. The whole thing makes me sick.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2