Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

steertube grease?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Before I was distracted with the hacker message this morning, I wanted to ask someone for some help.

I have gone through most of my bike repair manuals but cannot find anything that is specific to the headset and top of the fork.

My question is this: I found grease coming out from the bottom of the head tube/top of the fork and top of the head tube/bottom of the headset(steertube). Not like it was oosing out but there was enough there that I could wipe it all away with TP. Why is this happening? This has not happened on anyother bike that I have.

This is a Specialized Crosstrail/hybrid -2009. Does this grease mean it needs to go in for a headset overhaul? I have had this bike now for 1.5 years. I had not put that many miles on it, I didn't think.

Thank you for your help.

Red Rock

This happens on my commuter bike with the loose-bearing headset, doesn't happen on the road bike with the sealed-bearing Chris King headset. It's not likely a big deal, but my manual says it IS important when wiping that dirt away to take care to not to push the contaminated grease back into/towards the headset/bearings. Unless your headset has seen a lot of water, or feels rough, I doubt it's anything to worry about.
    Sit bones = ~135 mm, saddles that work ~ 155cm/6.1 in wide
    2003 da Vinci (custom road/all-rounder)/Terry Butterfly Ti
    1994 Gary Fisher Nirvana (vintage MTB/commuter)/Terry Butterfly Chromoly
    1991 Terry Symmetry (NOS frame/fork, project in progress)
    1973 Raleigh Super Course (project in progress)

Thanks out-spokin for your reply.

I did not see anything along the lines of not forcing the grease back in either. How does one wipe so as not to put the "bad" grease back into the headset? I guess that is a new technique I need to learn.

Red Rock

um... same way you wipe your nether parts? Wipe away from the opening...

I get a little bit of that seepage too. You may also get some around wheel bearings. I think it's just a matter that whoever (or whatever robot) assembled or serviced the part, they used a little too much grease. No big deal.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler