Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

SPD or Look Pedals?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a road bike and am currently using SPD pedals and cleats. a friend told me i should change to Look pedals/cleats. Any advice? i've been trying to research but can't make up my mind. I would love to know the advantages/disadvantages of each.

There are many different types of pedals/cleats out there. I started out with SPD, but then when I wanted to switch to a road shoe, I tried Speedplay Light Action. I really love them - very easy to get in and out of.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."

my advice is...do what you're comfortable with. If she's about your size/shoe size, why don't you give hers a spin & see what you think? While there are certain characteristics to each, what matters is what you like.

I had spd at first as well. I now use the Look Keo Elle pedals. Just love em.

The road specific type pedal gives you a wider contact surface under the ball of your foot. For me, it eliminated some pain issues due to more support, and pressure of pedaling being spread out over a larger surface.

I also wanted something with a low release tension. The Elle version is thinking of ladies who are typically lighter than males. And less force to get out of your pedals.

I tried Speedplays and they were just not for me. After being use to catching my toe in first with spd, then stepping down, I did not like the stomp straight down effect of Speedplays.

Great tip of trying the gf's pedals. As with anything there is always an adjustment period. Just gotta decide if you like em in the end.

I stick with the SPD's. I just walk around too much, or am scared I will need to walk around too much, or don't like slipping in bar, on the spilled beer.

I think it's probably the later...
    Lookit, grasshopper....

I like my SPDs, I can walk around with them AND, now that they are adjusted properly, there really is not any tension to speak of and are very easy to clip in/out of.

Let me update...I guess what I was trying to say was, don't feel like you have to switch to be a "proper" cyclist. We all do what works for us.

I'm not sure why she suggested you switch, though. Did she say more or leave it at that?

I prefer mountain-style pedals (Crank Brothers Candies or Speedplay Frogs) because the recessed cleats allow me to walk in them. Of course, my cycling these days is almost all utilitarian, so I need to be able to walk around a market in my bike shoes. I used to do fast club rides and used road pedals then (Speedplay X-series), but the cleats stick out and are much less user-friendly to walk in. They're all equally easy to clip in and out of to me (except the original model of Speedplay Zeros, which I had a terrible time clipping into and ended up selling).

I have never used SPDs or Looks but have heard good and bad about both of them. Different strokes!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

thank you all for the great ideas and advice--my friend is a guy with large feet so i can't borrow his cleats--i was having a hard time clipping in (he thought it was taking too long--he is my triathlon partner)--he suggested LOOK--thought they would be faster to clip in...i'm still investigating...

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyGirl View Post
    thank you all for the great ideas and advice--my friend is a guy with large feet so i can't borrow his cleats--i was having a hard time clipping in (he thought it was taking too long--he is my triathlon partner)--he suggested LOOK--thought they would be faster to clip in...i'm still investigating...
    Your SPD cleats can be adjusted so that they are easier to clip in/out, that spring tensions can be very light.

I like Look over SPD for the more substantial platform. I have mine on the lightest tension and they clip in fairly easy but they can fall forward so it isn't that fast. I can unclip fairly quick. The cleats themselves can be slick, I switched to some with grippers and I like them better.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I have Look Keos and I've used SPDs, too. I prefer the Keos for the larger platform and "the feel" of clipping in/out. The "speed" at which you clip in, at least in my opinion, is more a question of how adept you are at using them than the pedals themselves. It does take some degree of coordination. Even when I have trouble with it, it doesn't slow me down to the point of it being a problem.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I've used Look, SPD and now Speedplay.

I would stick with SPD if I did not have that newly confirmed leg length discrepancy and the buildup under the cleat nixed comfortable walking in the Mountain shoes.

Look is not significantly quicker getting in, although the slightly weighted pedal means it is "in position" for you to engage most of the time. but it's one-sided entry only. Most SPD pedals except the "pseudo" roadie model, and Speedplay are double-sided.

Speedplay offers a kit to adjust for the leg issue and so I went for that: I really like how easy it is to engage, but walking on these is a cinch and I just got the cleat covers to make walking a bit more secure.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

DBF has Looks and loves them. I got SPDs--I walk around too much and am terrified of having to hike back home or to the nearest bus stop.

Get what you're comfortable with. My purist boyfriend didn't dump me for putting SPDs on my road bike.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...