Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Pump with reliable pressure gauge recommendations?

To disable ads, please log-in.

So, I just figured out that my floor pump is none-too-accurate when it comes to measuring tire pressure. I was pumping up my tires and got to about 80 psi on the gauge when the tube blew. Max pressure on the tire is listed at 100 psi, so I was no where near that point. So now my ears are ringing and I'm officially on the hunt for a better pump with a reliable pressure gauge. What pumps do you recommend?
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

~Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by inkspot View Post
    So, I just figured out that my floor pump is none-too-accurate when it comes to measuring tire pressure. I was pumping up my tires and got to about 80 psi on the gauge when the tube blew. Max pressure on the tire is listed at 100 psi, so I was no where near that point. So now my ears are ringing and I'm officially on the hunt for a better pump with a reliable pressure gauge. What pumps do you recommend?
    This most likely has nothing to do with the gauge and everything to do with a pinch flat... Or, just perhaps, a poor quality tube, although I favour the pinch-flat explanation.

Even if max pressure is 100 psi, you would be able to inflate to a point where you cannot inflate anymore (unless you are very, very strong) before getting an over-inflation incident (which wouldn't necessarily be a flat tire).

Joe Blow. I love it.
    Lookit, grasshopper....

Where did the tube blow? If it's at the valve stem seam, then it's probably just tube failure and not a pump problem. If elsewhere, then maybe if the tire is old, the bead became unseated or something. In any event, it's hard to tell but I doubt you overinflated it. Other reasons for misleading gauges has to do with how good of a seal you are getting on the valve. I think that the pumps that have 2 holes--one for schrader and one for presta tend to be less reliable because they may not seal as well on the side you're using. Or maybe the one I had like that just sucked. If you never really use the other type of valve, then there isn't much point in having a pump like that anyway.