Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hamstring

Hamstring

To disable ads, please log-in.

My right quad felt much better this weekend than last - so the little break over the week helped and yesterday I tried to limit my ride to only 50 miles - while there were a few hills there were not many. My right hamstring, however, is still troubling me for the first 30 minutes or so when I get on the bike. Not much, but it talks to me.

I wanted to go for a recovery ride today - but since walking had my hammie talking to me I decided it would be better to go for a good walk instead - so headed for my favorite park. Not a very exciting place to walk, but figured the trails wouldn't be too hard on my leg. It was fine, but still the hamstring was twinging for the first 15-20 minutes or so.

Am unsure if this is still from the new weights two weeks ago (which doesn't seem reasonable as we haven't repeated that machine), or if perhaps it is simply from my muscles adjusting to clipping in (my trainer thinks it might be related).

Would it be better to try and target my hamstring in gentle stretching, or just back off on the intensity of my cycling for a few more days. I've only ridden once since last Sunday and I am starting to chafe at that. Spinning just isn't the same...

I'm wondering if it could be cleat position? It seems like your pain has happened since they were installed. Just something else to consider, in addition to many other possibilities!

Personally, I would not stretch an injured hamstring. I'd just let it heal, and take ibuprofen. I probably would do a really easy ride, but I'd stop if it hurt at all.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    I'm wondering if it could be cleat position? It seems like your pain has happened since they were installed. Just something else to consider, in addition to many other possibilities!

Personally, I would not stretch an injured hamstring. I'd just let it heal, and take ibuprofen. I probably would do a really easy ride, but I'd stop if it hurt at all.
    The hamstring/quad in that leg were aggravated prior to my moving to clipless. For one session my trainer had me on a reclined leg-press machine and as I remember that side was particularly hard to press. So much that he decreased the weight for the other side. Hm-mm, that probably fired things up.

Then of course I just HAD to jump straight into clipless once I saw that I could actually use them and immediately went to >50 mile rides after one "little" 30 mile spin on them. It may have simply been a combination of the two and too much, too soon. My saddle is about an inch too low at this point... shoes have a higher sole than my sandals) and we are raising it a few mm at a time - there is a reason for that

After my leg warms up then the twinging goes away - and it is only a very isolated location on the back of my leg that may even be some other muscle than the hammie. It is about halfway down the back of my leg, off to the right of center just a tad.

Makes sense not to stretch it - haven't been good with the ibuprofen (never am) but will make an effort. Tuesday will head out again...
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-19-2010 at 12:21 PM.

I've been doing battle with hamstring pain/spasms in my left leg since the middle of June. Mine are awful - the hamstring gets really painful mainly when I'm standing still, and it can get so bad I nearly pass out. Everything I've read about hamstring injuries says to stretch gently, to take Advil or Aleve and to use ice or heat.

I did have a mishap on my bike a few days before all of this started - I swerved trying to avoid being hit by a car, then swerved so I wouldn't hit a curb -- ended up unclipping my feet in a rush and tipping the wrong way off a curb, and the bike came with me - ramming the nose of the seat into the left side of my butt. That hurt like none other, and the doc says it might have caused a deep bruise that's irritating the hamstring. I'm getting some tingling in the hamstring area and in my foot, too, so he says another possibility is my back might be the culprit. My back and hip x-rays were o.k., but I do have scoliosis.--

The doctor told me that hamstring problems can be a real mystery. He's sending me to physical therapy which I'll be starting Friday and he's also put me on Mobic, which is an anti-inflammatory. Wish I had some better suggestions - I do feel your pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborajen View Post
    I'm getting some tingling in the hamstring area and in my foot, too, so he says another possibility is my back might be the culprit. My back and hip x-rays were o.k., but I do have scoliosis.--

The doctor told me that hamstring problems can be a real mystery. He's sending me to physical therapy which I'll be starting Friday and he's also put me on Mobic, which is an anti-inflammatory. Wish I had some better suggestions - I do feel your pain.
    Awhile back, my hamstring was so bad I couldn't run on it. It was due to my lower back disk problems. Went to PT for a few months where we did some hammie strengthening, stretching and icing afterward. The PT said to make sure that my lower back stays supple and strong and that my hammies also stay flexible & strong. So far, knock wood, no problems.

BTW I've been on mobic for fifteen years. It's been a lifesaver for me and my arthritic body.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

My fitter tells me that he isn't surprised my hamstring is giving me a little trouble. He said that when we are on platform pedals that our hamstrings are hardly engaged, but when we are clipped in they are certainly in use. It does seem to be improving since I only had one medium ride this weekend although I did do some light hiking.

Last night I went to spinning class and tried to back off a bit, and just got in from an easy 45 minute spin at the park. Trying to work my way up to a normal long ride this weekend, we will see how it goes!

Today I took it easy and went for a 19 mile ride - and most of those were flat. No quad or hamstring pain at all during the ride and I was clipped in Tomorrow will shoot for 40-50 miles and see how that feels. My fitter raised my saddle a couple of MM yesterday, which was part of the problem.

I did notice, however, when I got off the bike a little tenderness in my hammie where it attaches at the top of my leg. I have noticed in the past when I've had really sore quads that it was like the soreness had to "work it's way up" and out. I am hoping that is what is happening here.

Each time the soreness is less and less, so I think that I have adopted the right approach - though it was hard today to limit myself to 19 miles...though it was quite windy!

Have you tried rolling it out? When I strained my vastus intermedialis last year (no idea how) I was hesitant at first to use the foam roller, but once I got into it, SMR cleared it right up.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Have you tried rolling it out? When I strained my vastus intermedialis last year (no idea how) I was hesitant at first to use the foam roller, but once I got into it, SMR cleared it right up.
    No, I have not yet tried this. Didn't even think about it I have a small roller at home that I've never really used, will try it tonight.

I want to ride tonight, but am thinking it might be wiser to do some gentle stretching instead, I had quite short rides both Sat/Sunday, and went to spinning class last night though I did take it easier than usual. Tomorrow I've a meeting with my trainer, so I think I will just give my leg some TLC tonight.

I had a gentle ride last night - I was aware of the hamstring's existence but it didn't hurt. Tonight I went to spinning class, and noticed it a lot more - especially in standing climbs. I tried to take it easy but noted at one point that there was targeted warmth in the area - though not pain, not quite... sigh.

No state forest exploration for me tomorrow I suppose. Will continue with the gentle rides and break down and try and roll it.

I am hoping the "warmth" doesn't mean much - I did back off even further at that point.

Are you icing it and/or taking any pain relievers?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Are you icing it and/or taking any pain relievers?
    I wasn't sure if icing was called for this long after whatever happened, or if heat is better. I did some research on the internet and all the references were for icing right after the injury. I do take ibuprofen from time to time, though can probably take it a bit more consistently.

My usual habit is to ignore things like this until they go away I am trying to get better. I will take ibuprofen before bed tonight, and tomorrow when I get in from riding (gently) will ice it.

I swear all of this started after hiring a trainer/mt to stretch me...last time THAT is going to happen!

My name is Catrin and I've been in denial over my hamstring problem...ignoring it isn't working

I am now icing it after every ride/workout + taking ibuprophen, and my rides are shorter with fewer hills until it heals. The quad is now healed, but the hamstring is just going to take longer. I have accepted that, I don't have to like it.

Thanks for the helpful comments - I am thankful that I had already decided not to do the brevet before this happened or I would be quite upset with my leg. I wish I knew what happened, but will probably never know for sure.

So now, perhaps, the best thing to do is to not think about my 70 mile rides of just a few weeks ago, but focus on what my leg will allow me to do now and once it is healed work my way back to the same distance. I still want to do a century this fall, but if this takes too long to heal then it won't happen...

I didn't read back through all of the comments to check, but have you worn compression tights after a ride?

And have you thought about taking a week off altogether? I know it sucks to do so, but at this point, I'm not so sure just easing back is doing the trick.

I'm not overly familar with hamstring issues. Mine get tight, but that's about it. I do know that my own tendency to ride or run through pain generally just leads to more and/or prolonged pain. In the very least, stop doing any climbs in spin class.

I agree with Jonathan that clipless pedals will help you better engage your hamstrings, but that alone won't cause an injury. Temporary soreness, yes, but probably not injury. Did this also coincide with him raising your saddle? That could also be a culprit I suppose in that the higher the saddle, the more you're stretching your hamstring.

To me, all of this just reinforces the fact that I think you could stand to add some yoga or pilates into the mix. Cycling involves such a limited and repetitive range of motion. It helps to do something to counter the long hours on the bike. In reading your 2011 cycling goals thread, I see that your winter workouts largely revolve aroung cycling or spinning. I, personally, use the winter to broaden things a bit and give my body a chance to move in different ways. I find that I'm less injury prone when I do that.
    Just my random thoughts....FWIW.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher