Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

DC tour by kayak

To disable ads, please log-in.

Let's do this before the weather gets cold.

Catriona, where is a good spot to put in?
    2007 Rivendell Glorius/Trico gel with cutout (not made any more apparently)
    2005 Specialized Sequoia Comp/Specialized Dolce
    2006 Kona Cinder Cone/another Trico gel
    1986? Bridgestone mixte/Brooks B72
    1991 Bridgestone 300 Xtracycle/Terry Gelissimo

Columbia Island Marina - you gotta get to it going east bound (towards reagan national airport) on the GW parkway - but it's basically just west of the 395 bridge on the potomac. (if you're coming from west bound, you have to turn around after arlington cemetary to head the other direction on the GW parkway)

Free parking, bathrooms, picnic tables, and you can put in your kayaks for free. It puts you in the marina just in front of the Pentagon, if you head up river, you can go by the Watergate, Georgetown, and get into the cliffs. If you head down river, you can go up around Haines point, head into the waterfront for lunch at the fishmarket or soemthing like that.

If you head up the Anacostia - you can paddle into the Kennilworth acquatic gardens at high tide, which I've heard is beautiful and by the arboretum.
    Last edited by Cataboo; 09-19-2010 at 08:02 PM.

There usually is a fair bit of chop/waves going around Haines point.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Can you get into the tidal basin via kayak?
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    Can you get into the tidal basin via kayak?
    According to google, no.
    2007 Rivendell Glorius/Trico gel with cutout (not made any more apparently)
    2005 Specialized Sequoia Comp/Specialized Dolce
    2006 Kona Cinder Cone/another Trico gel
    1986? Bridgestone mixte/Brooks B72
    1991 Bridgestone 300 Xtracycle/Terry Gelissimo

I haven't found a way in - you can go up underneath a bridge to it at low tide, but there's barriers to stop you from actually getting into the tidal basin.

I think it's a sept 11th change, I don't know.

I think it's going to be a full moon this weekend if you guys have any desire of doing it at night.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataboo View Post
    If you head up the Anacostia - you can paddle into the Kennilworth acquatic gardens at high tide, which I've heard is beautiful and by the arboretum.
    This is beautiful when the water lilies are blooming. In the winter, there are many kinds of ducks, including wood ducks. And there are bald eagles, too.

The best way to paddle to Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens is to put in at Bladensburg Marina in Maryland. The facilities there are really good, and they also rent kayaks and canoes.

Do check high tides, though, as you can't get in (or out) of the Aquatic Gardens at low tide. Also check the River Keeper for water quality. Sometimes it's not so pleasant.

Have fun. Wish I could join you.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataboo View Post
    I haven't found a way in - you can go up underneath a bridge to it at low tide, but there's barriers to stop you from actually getting into the tidal basin.

I think it's a sept 11th change, I don't know.

I think it's going to be a full moon this weekend if you guys have any desire of doing it at night.
    Be sure to check the tides. I had a friend who nearly had a very bad situation when he got stuck under the bridge. There's not much room under there, and at high tide, it's quite dangerous. I'm not sure about the barriers now, though.

In case any of you guys want to try stand up paddle boarding:

Time
    Thursday, September 30 · 6:00pm - 11:00pm
    Location Truxton Park boat ramps
    Created By
    EMS Annapolis
    More Info Hey Ladies,

Wondering what all of the hype is about Stand Up Paddle Boards (SUPs)? Grab a friend and come try them out. We’re bringing our SUPs out to Truxton Park for those girls who just wanna have fun. Come amaze yourself and paddleboard with us before heading back to the Parole Towne Centre for drinks or a bite to eat at one of our participating restaurants.

This is a free event. Just call our store to sign up.

EMS Ladies Night. Do you hunger for adventure?

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Be sure to check the tides. I had a friend who nearly had a very bad situation when he got stuck under the bridge. There's not much room under there, and at high tide, it's quite dangerous. I'm not sure about the barriers now, though.
    If you go all the way up around Haines point, past the Maine st waterfront to the bridges where you can see through to the tidal basin, at high tide it looks like this:

If you hug the deck, someone might be able to get through that - but that line you see on the other side is the barrier.

If you go through at low tide it looks like this:

You could possibly portage across that barrier into the tidal basin. I didn't risk it

I paddled the potomac around DC this weekend - water temperatures are dropping quickly. It's down in the 60's now - if you guys are going to do this tour, you should do it soon - before you have to wear wetsuits or something.

You can also put in at Thompson's boat house or jack's boat house - parking may be a problem, and they may charge for that & putting in.