Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Phoenix Bikes in Arlington VA

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with these folks:

http://www.phoenixbikes.org/

They're a non-profit bike shop that provides mentoring to local kids. I think I might be buying a new road bike soon(!!), and if I do I'm thinking of donating the old bike to these folks so they can fix it up and sell it.

They're located in south Arlington on Four Mile Run Drive, just off the WOD and Four Mile Run trails.

This is from their web site:

Our Theory: Put Two Wheels On One Frame.

The front wheel is our service as a Bike Shop:

- A resource for sustainable, affordable transportation – the only used bike and used parts store in DC Metro
    - An advocate among kids and families for healthy lifestyles and active communities
    - An introduction to Youth Mechanics, Families & the Community
    The foundation of a sustainable organization – a renewable financial resource

Our back wheel is youth development.
    This is what powers the organization. We believe that a bike shop is an amazing tool for the development of young leaders because it provides an opportunity for:

- Hands-On Learning & Business Skills. Youth in the shop take on challenges, have the opportunity to solve new problems, and get to apply skills – academic and practical – to concrete accomplishments.
    - Teamwork, Friendship & Mentoring – between youth as well as with adults.
    - Peer Education – the chance to gain confidence and gain awareness by taking responsibility for someone else’s learning
    - Community Service – Whether its fixing someone’s brakes or helping at a clinic, youth are a community resources and they have an impact on their neighborhoods!
    - Fun! In cycling people young and old gain freedom to explore their world and excercise to help their bodies and minds.

One wheel without the other doesn’t get you very far. Both of these wheels are necessary – locally, nationally, globally, organizationally – and provide the core of our commitment to the economic, social, and environmental health of Arlington and DC Metro region. And as transportation, workforce, and community leadership needs change evolve in the coming years, we believe organizations like PB are only becoming more important.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Wow, talk about kismet.

This morning, I decided that I'm going to donate my 2005 Dolce Comp to them instead of going through the hassle of trying to sell it!!

I've heard only good things about them. Anything that helps the kids and the community, particularly the Best County in northern Virginia.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Just to follow up, I donated my Dolce Comp to Phoenix yesterday and it was a good experience. Also gave them some bar tape that I bought but decided not to use. In addition to bikes, they are looking for floor pumps, tools, parts, etc.

They were happy to get my bike---aside from a good cleaning and probably, new brake pads, it's in excellent shape. On a completely selfish level, it made me feel good to know that the bike will be "giving back" to kids down in South Arlington and one day, likely will either be someone's work and/or pleasure vehicle. That bike saw a lot of road time w/me--a workhorse that easily logged more than 15K miles during its five years w/me. It truly was my "neither wind nor rain nor sleet nor snow" ride. Time for it to be treasured, not ridden only in crappy conditions. Bon chance, big red!

It's a little hard to find the "shop," as it's located at Barcroft Fitness Center/Park. The shop is little more than a shed.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly