Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Mackinac Island MI--bikes

To disable ads, please log-in.

DH and I just spent a long weekend (our first wedding anniversary) on Mackinac Island, MI. We were married there, and love the fact that no cars are allowed on the Island. Horses and bikes are all you see, it's kind of refreshing to see so many people riding bikes.

We actually took our Shih-Tzu to the island (she was in the wedding after all) and rented her a doggie trailer to be able to ride her around the Island. it was her first experience but, I could tell she loved it I plan to get her one for Christmas.

Just thought many would appreciate the photo...and if you are ever in the area, go to Mackinac Island--it is the jewel of MI -- IMO
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

I was in Northern Michigan just a couple weeks ago, and tried hard to get my sisters to go on a little road trip with bikes up to Mackinac. The first few days it was 90o or higher - no takers. Then it cooled off, but brought winds gusting to 40kt. Still no takers. I haven't been there in about 20 years, and would really enjoy the opportunity to ride Mackinac. Maybe next year.

How wonderful! That is my idea of the perfect place - no cars, just bikes! It looks like such a lovely, peaceful place to rest and ride. Thanks for sharing!
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

~Albert Einstein

Been there, done that, would like to do that again.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

....Of course...who can leave the Island without it!?! I certainly can't Mmmmmmmm fudge---best I ever tasted!!!
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C

Mackinac Is. is one my favorite places in the world-- but the next time I go, I'm taking my own bike across. She needs a vacation too, right?

I've heard there's a bike trail that goes from Gaylord north up to the straits-- anyone know anything about it? It'd be awesome to ride from the family cabin there all the way to the ferry, then go on across to the island. And then refuel with fudge.... lots of fudge...

Congrats on one year of marriage, Trek-chick!

(Interlochen is a great place, too. Summer of 88 for me...)

Yes, there is an unpaved trail from Gaylord to Cheybogan and on to Mackinac City. I would like to know what size tires you would need to travel that. My Michigan bike has 23C but maybe I could get 25s on it. Probably nothing bigger than that though.

You can order nice bike maps from the League of Michigan Cyclists
    http://www.lmb.org/

There is also a link from there to Michigan DOT, which is where I got the a great map for NE MI - only $5.00

http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,...2734--,00.html

Interlochen

My brother in law went there for HS in the 60s along with 2 of his other brothers. I went over there in the mid 60s for a piano concert given by Van Cliburn. I loved it then, and now I'm sure I would have enjoyed it that much more. Beautiful campus. And nice drive across the state to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by skhill View Post
    Congrats on one year of marriage, Trek-chick!
    Thank You
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C

Haven't been there since I was a kid. Love that picture I'm glad you had fun
    Alison - mama of 2 (8yo and 6yo)
    2009 Independent Fabrication steel Crown Jewel SE
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

I haven't been there since I was in 8th grade for our class trip which was many many years ago. The first time I went there I was 7 and had just learned how to ride a bike. I remember my dad had rented bikes for him, me and my brother to ride, but I kept falling behind because I wasn't fast enough to keep up. I don't remember what my mom was doing, but she didn't go with ride with us. Anyway, I have good memories of Mackinac Island. I think a trip there is in order.

I swear I saw something on the Pure Michigan website about a fall bike tour or century or something like that going on there in September, but I'm thinking I imagined it now.

I love Mackinac Island! DH and I went there years ago for about 4 days. No bikes, but we got a trail map of the island and tried to hike them all (didn't quite make it, but did a lot). Also rented horses one day and took them on the trail with a guide, which was fun also (tho it rained on us).

It's a lovely place with beautiful homes and outdoor spaces and totally got us into the idea of car-free living. Thanks for the great photo and bringing back some excellent memories!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Happy Anniversary, Trek-Chick! I want to go there someday. Door County, WI is as far north as I've been........hope to make it to the other side soon.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Hey! Were you there the weekend of Sept 11-12? I was there for part of the day on Sept 11!!! How crazy... we might have walked right past each other! My uncle and Grandma live in Cheboygan, so Mom and i went over for a quick visit. We didn't bike on the island, but I did bring my dog Oliver, a 1 year old Jack Russell Terrier.... it was his first experience seeing horses he went nuts for the first hour or so, then got pretty good actually.

Hope you had a wonderful time, and congrats on the anniversary!
    Ellen
    Support me in my fight against MS!
    http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/Ellen.Mallman

Quote Originally Posted by DrBadger View Post
    Hey! Were you there the weekend of Sept 11-12? I was there for part of the day on Sept 11!!! How crazy... we might have walked right past each other! My uncle and Grandma live in Cheboygan, so Mom and i went over for a quick visit. We didn't bike on the island, but I did bring my dog Oliver, a 1 year old Jack Russell Terrier.... it was his first experience seeing horses he went nuts for the first hour or so, then got pretty good actually.

Hope you had a wonderful time, and congrats on the anniversary!
    Ellen
    Our anniversary was 8-29 so, I'm a little late posting the photo....but we have been there three weekends total this year!
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C