Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Newbie Intro

Wink Newbie Intro

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Teamestrogen Gals,
    I really am thankful for this forum that is for all gals since I find more things in common here than other unisex cycle forums. I just bought a new Trek Navigator 3.0 from my LBS and I just love my bikey. I am so into cycling more
    than any other activity I have done. Walking, jogging and tread milling, etc
    I just could not get motivated enough to be consistent with. My bike however,
    is just so easy to hop on and ride and I look forward to riding it a few times a day. Fall weather is a added pleasure to my enjoyment of cycling too. I just wish I would have got into this 20 years ago as I am now 56 and haven't rode a bike since I was in my early 20's. Not that I had any problems getting back into riding a bike but I could have been a avid biker and more trim and fit.
    I have about 60 lbs to lose that could have been gone long ago if I would have started younger. Oh well no time like the present to start something healthy.
    I may be exaggerating but it seems like my arthritic fingers are pain free every day I ride my bike, I have tons of energy and I feel younger. I have only been cycling about 10 days but I am seeing a major difference already. Have not
    got on the scale yet but feel like clothiers are getting loser. To top it off
    I think I started the neighborhood 40 & 50's year olds to get on their bikes now too. Some of my neighbors are also joining me on and I think we are becoming a bike club. Cycling is surely my cup of tea. And I get to get to know all of you bikers too. Life can be fun if we make it fun!
    Hugs
    Laura

Hi Laura,
    Welcome. I'm fairly new here myself. I am 51 and never sat on a bike before a few weeks ago. Like you though, I feel it is the exercise for me, it's just so freeing and fun isn't it? I have my fear of riding down hill (even little ones) at present (see nervous nelly scared of hills thread) but I am making good progress. Like you, I also have weight to lose (a couple of stone, 28bls for me to be happy with myself, I don't want to fight the fight to be slim any more!). Someone else in our age range (can't recall who) was saying she has lost 60bls since taking up cycling. That isn't why I started, but I'm loving the idea that it might have that effect

Welcome both! It always makes me so happy to read these lighthearted posts of people finding joy and freedom in their bikes right from the start. Many happy rides to you!
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Welcome, Ladies, welcome! I, too, love to hear these stories.
    Ladybug, my husband bought me a Trek Navigator 2.0 two christmases ago - the Robin's Egg Blue model with the floral design and brown leather seat/grips. That bike got me absolutely hooked on cycling! I would ride her for 35 miles at a time!!! Took me 6 months to get up to that, but I did. I now have 3 other bikes that get ridden a lot more than my lovely Trek, but occasionally, when I just want to ride around for joy on the trails, to get ice cream, to breakfast at the pancake house, I pull her out for a ride.
    Enjoy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trek.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	11889  
    Jenn K
    Centennial, CO
    Love my Fuji!

Jenn I have that same bike (color, etc)! I also use it for trails (and have a wicker basket I attach if going to a store). I use it for pulling the kid's ride-behind since it seems to be a strong bike.

But that robin's egg blue with the "leather" detailing sure is pretty!

Nice to meet you Laura Enjoy cycling!!!
    Last edited by warneral; 09-15-2010 at 06:03 AM.

WTG Gals
    stella You'll get better going down hills I myself never feared hills because I think I have some daring wildness in me! I love the THRILL of the ride!!!
    I agree losing my extra pounds is a added plus to cycling. We had some rain here in OHIO, USA so have not been out for a few days. Going to be nice though tomorrow so I'll be out early again. I can definitely feel the difference in not cycling for 3 days. I miss it!!! Never have a missed anything active before that is just how much fun it is to me

Thank You iph and many more happy rides back at you too

Jenn and warneral You sure have some pretty blue bikes. I like the yellow basket on yours Jenn too I hope I can get brave enough to go to stores in my neighborhood soon and if I do I'll probably get a basket on the front too! I see you both are avid cyclers. I hope someday I get there too I only get 5 miles in a day because my butt hurts and I do have a pretty nice seat. I need to get a picture of my bikey up in my signature soon. In my 20's I had a Fuji (green) it was a racer bike and I flew around town everywhere on that bike. But I am in my 50's now but I'll never forget the ride!

Nice meeting you gals here Hope we can find even more in common to chat about

I hope my picture shows up here
    Last edited by ladybugplus; 09-19-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: add signature image

seeing if my bikey shows up in my signature

Hope so

My New Bikey
    TREK Navigator 3.0
    color is plum

Hi Ladcbug! I loved reading your posts, they are so enthusiastic and happy! Your avatar is lovely and I like your bike

It's been raining here too, then I caught my husband's cold so I've been missing riding too. I'm an older adult learner who's at the stage of finding manageable rides that are not too short, not too long and not too hard :goldilocks: I love it though, the satisfaction is amazing and I would LOVE to be doing 5miles a day - lucky you!
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Hi Ladybugplus! Isn't this a great place to learn a lot about the sport of biking? It's great here and I have found so much information.

I love the color of your bike, it's really neat looking! It's easy to see how pumped up you are about biking and you can certainly find a lot of folks to cheer you on here. Happy riding!

p.s. you mentioned arthritis, I have both osteo and rheumatoid arthritis and have started a biking blog geared toward pedaling to health at

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Help...from a man!

hey ladybugplus and all,
    First off, i am a man. Sorry for that, but i really need some help here. My wife has your exact bike ladybugplus, right down to the color. She LOVES this bike! I am hoping that someone here can help me....She is 62 years young, and started riding about 6-8 months ago. We are both a little overweight, but we do like our biking. I am currently doing about 100-150 miles a week on either my road bike (specialized secteur comp), or my 1 month old Surly LHT. She rides about 20-40 miles per week. I try to ride with her, but she thinks she's slowing me down (she isn't). She sees me peddling once in awhile while she's spinning(she has 26" wheels, heavy bike,ect), and wants to keep up better. She is gonna keep her 3.0, but what bike can she move up to for maybe slow group rides, and building up to 20-30 mile rides? She told me to say that she has little to none in the coordination game, so fast, agressive bikes are out. She like bigger tires for light gravel...not opposed to drop bars (she never used them), and is scared of having to use a mirror attached to her helmet. She is 5' 6" tall and if i say her weight, i'll lose my biking privilages and more. I was thinking a trek 7.3fx, but never rode one. Is it all that different from her 3.0? maybe a cyclocross or touring...... Help!