Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

What is a "no drop" ride?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I see this term...but I don't know what it means!

Typically it's an organized group ride where no rider is dropped. In mountain biking, there is an experienced rider that goes last to make sure the slowest/inexperienced rider is OK and isn't left behind.

same in road biking... a no drop ride means that the group stays together... and no one gets left on their own... I ride with a no drop group sometimes... what they do is ride like normal and then stop in predesignated areas to re-group... so when everyone is together they take off again... and if more than a couple minutes pass with someone still missing, a strong rider backtracks and finds the missing rider... it's a great thing to ride with a no drop group from a safety standpoint and also if you're a new rider! This ensures you get to ride with them... and typically they're not as "uptight" (for lack of a better word) as a race group!
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Here's my definition of a "no drop" road ride. Most elements pertain to a mtbike ride also.

First of all, the ride is not competitive and "no drop" means no one is left behind. Ideally, you have a strong rider riding sweep. This rider does not need to be fast but can be depended upon to ride the distance and deal with minor mechnical issues like flats. The group re-groups at critical intersections and waits for all riders to be together so that the group doesn't get too strung out.

Also, no one should ride ahead of the ride leader or, if they do ride ahead and then ride through an intersection at which there is a turn, that rider is on their own for getting back on course and dealing with any mechanical issues. Riders who do this really cause a lot of stress to both the ride leader and to the group in general.

"No drop" rides can be for training purposes or just for the cameraderie and shared love of cycling.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

My Club often has "no drop" rides... it's no drop if you can keep up!!!
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Quote Originally Posted by bcipam
    My Club often has "no drop" rides... it's no drop if you can keep up!!!

so what happens if you can't keep up, then?

The womens' group I ride with is a true no drop group, as is our club. We've got the word out that if you want to hammer, there are plenty of other riding groups out there that do just that.

What's really great about a good no drop ride is that everyone comes back with a smile on thier face.

If the expectation is laid out at the onset of the ride, even the hammer heads know what to expect. On my annual mountain bike no drop extravaganze that involves riders from all over the PNW - the hammerheads entertain themselves with trials moves on the rocks and goofing off while waiting for the mortals to catch their breath.

wait and blow rides are a hienous subset of hammer head rides. This is when the hammerheads wait just long enough for the mortals to show up, but take off before people can even get a drink much less catch their breath.

I choose not to go on those kind of rides if I have any prior knowledge of what the group will be like.

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

My Road CLub is very large and over the years the membership direction has changed depending on the club officers. These last 3 years, the direction has been towards racing and hammering and forgetting the true purpose of the Club. I ride less and less with them (and I am the membership director - go figure) and more with other groups.

One of my pet peeves is that several of our rides have been sponsered as "no drop" but the leader (who is also the Club president) basically would halt the lead group, see no riders behind and take off when the majority of the group was still behind although if he would wait at least 2 - 3 minutes most would have gotten there. It's angered alot of folks and we have been losing membership.

He "retires" this year (basically he found some poor woman to marry him and doesn't ride much anymore) and the new president hopefully will drive the Club back to what it was several years ago. We will see.

Basically I'm okay riding without the no drop policy. I usually have 1 - 3 buddies with me and it's less hassle than a whole gang of folks. If a ride is advertised as "no drop" make sure you ask what the leaders concept of that is. If 15 people start out, will he/she make sure 15 people regroup before the group takes off again. That's a true no drop ride.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan
    wait and blow rides are a hienous subset of hammer head rides. This is when the hammerheads wait just long enough for the mortals to show up, but take off before people can even get a drink much less catch their breath.
    I love this name! So what do you call a ride where the hammerheads don't even wait for ALL the people to show up, just a portion? Sounds like bcipam is very experienced at these rides also. As a ride leader, I get totally frazzled with folks who can't live with the agreement. I have given myself permission to let those people do it on their own and not include them in the headcount of the group.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

One solution in my regular group has been to break the group up into smaller groups according to ability/interest. This also helps with the issue of having too large of a group. I heard one shop ride in the area had over 50 people one night! That's way too many people to be passing hikers/horses all in one stretch.

Anyway, we break into two or three groups. This cuts down on a lot of waiting time which can ruin the flow of a ride. Hammerheads (or hurricanes as we call them) don't get frustrated waiting on others. Tradewinds and Gentle Breezes don't get frustrated that they can't keep up or feel like they are holding people up. Within the individual groups, we stop at junctions and keep the group together. It's the responsibility of each of us to choose the appropriate group to ride in based on our ability and how hard we feel like working that night. We all meet up at the trailhead afterwards for social and snack time. It's been working well for several years now.

Everyone also goes on rides for the joy of riding without worrying about pace. The "I just want to ride" kind of ride. I'm always most comfortable riding with folks my own level on the days I want to ride hard. I've never been and will probably never be a Hurricane, but I don't want to ride at a Gentle Breeze pace on EVERY ride. I think as long as everyone understands which kind of ride it is upfront, then there is room for both the hammering ride and the sight-seeing /hang out with friends rides.
    Plays in dirt!

"no-drop rides" for men only???***

***see other thread

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...3&page=1&pp=15

I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect.

and a "no-drop" ride in Abq is something I've yet to find! But I do so enjoy a challenge!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"