Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying my first pair of road shoes! Please help

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am going shopping thursday to buy my road shoes and i need some advice on what brand is good. I don't want to spend hundreds but don't want a cheap pair either. Any feedback would be great. I want a pair that is easy to clip out of !!!!!!!!! LOL

I love my Bontragers. Good support, have not been uncomfortable since the first day I used them, AND my feet no longer fall asleep during rides--even the 66mile charity ride I did this weekend.

ETA: I also purchased them on sale.... they were originally $129 - got them for less than $100.
    texascampgal
    Trek 2.3 WSD
    Cycling since 2008

Quote Originally Posted by przc View Post
    I am going shopping thursday to buy my road shoes and i need some advice on what brand is good. I don't want to spend hundreds but don't want a cheap pair either. Any feedback would be great. I want a pair that is easy to clip out of !!!!!!!!! LOL
    Shoes won't really make a difference in regards to clipping out easily. THAT is really all about the cleats/pedals.

That being said, I would suggest trying on a bunch of different brands...since sizing tends to be a bit different between most brands. Also, you will want to take into consideration whether or not you need a wide shoe, a wide toe box, etc. Me personally, I needed a wider toe box but a narrower heel. I went with Northwave Velvet SBS road shoes and I love 'em. I also have a pair of Specialized MTB shoes that I use for spin class, but I find them to be quite restricting in the toe box...my toes feel squished after about 30 minutes of wearing them. So I am actively searching for a new pair of spin shoes.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Try on lots of different styles. Make sure your toes have plenty of room and are not at all squished. They should be comfortable from the start as they will not stretch out. Depending on the size and shape of your foot don't rule out mens shoes.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    My first pair of cycling shoes were Sidis that I bought in the mid-1980s. They were over $100 then! And my mother's puppy soon made shreds of one of them. Not being able to replace them with Sidi's, I went with some Specialized, which worked well. Then at some point I got some Shimano mtn. bike shoes and wore them for a couple of decades (2 pair; the first pair lasted 10 years and I still have the second pair). They are great and affordable. Then I ran across some Sidis on sale, however, and I like them alot. But even on sale they are pricey. It took me almost 25 years to get justify another pair of Sidis. And there are no puppies this time around. My dog doesn't chew on shoes.
    Last edited by tulip; 09-13-2010 at 04:21 PM.

Get what fits. DBF's mom told me that when she went to buy her shoes, she had wanted to get something cheap. She ended up buying Sidis because those fit her high arch the best. Bit more than she had initially wanted to spend, I think...
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Also ... the men's sizes are considered to be unisex sizes, especially if it is in the European sizes, so don't neglect to try on shoes in the men's area. My cycling shoes and sandals are all the European unisex size, and I am real happy with the fit.

I first got Shimano WR40. They are comfortable road shoes and fit well. But I could not get in and out of the pedal clips. That wasn't the shoes fault though. I had purchased "clear out" clipless pedals made by Wellego and they did not seem to be a good match with the cleats the shop installed on my shoes.

I came here and researched and learned that Frog pedals (by speedplay) are super easy to get and out of. I knew they were MTB pedals but b/c my shoes had the right hole type, I thought I could use the MTB cleats on my road shoes. Went to a shop and the girl didn't seem to be familiar. She installed them for me and I had a heck of a time getting into these pedals! I came to realize it was because they were road shoes and I needed recessed cleats. I ended up finding Diadora carbon MTB shoes from Nashbar to go with my Frog pedals. I finally have a combo that works. The Diadora shoes are stiff enough that I haven't had any issues with hotspots during long rides.

In the end I bought more stuff than I needed. I have these nice road shoes that sit in a box. I may try some road pedals/cleats some day so I will save them. I only wish I had known what I was doing - or that someone in the shops had known what THEY were doing!!!

Alison

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyInOregon View Post
    Also ... the men's sizes are considered to be unisex sizes, especially if it is in the European sizes, so don't neglect to try on shoes in the men's area. My cycling shoes and sandals are all the European unisex size, and I am real happy with the fit.
    Good point. I got Sidi men's shoes because the women's shoes were ridiculous-looking in my opinion. I see no point in having flowery, sparkly shoes anytime, anywhere, especially when I'm on a bike. I'm long over my princess days.

My Sidis are very comfy. They are the mtb shoes, but they work fine for my road bike.

I love Sidi's they are so comfortable and functional - that said they are also expensive. They will however last a long time.

Bike shoes should be like regular shoes in that when you put them on they should fit well and feel good. If they pinch or rub or feel tight, those aren't the shoes for you. Keep in mind different materials need care. Sidi's are good leather and like any good leather side are flexible and breath. Some other shoes not so much. Just remember to try on everything. I tried a very expensive pair of Specialized shoes (over $300) which I bought and not listening to my own advise, never got used to them. They sit in a drawer practically brand new. Learned my lesson - always go with what works - for me Sidi's...

My original Sidis were their road shoes but I now buy their Dominators (MTB shoes) because I like the same pedal system on my road and MTBike (Time Alium for road and ZControl for MTB). Plus I got tired of walking around on the cleats and ruining them. I can't tell you how many Dura Ace cleats I wrecked!
    Last edited by bcipam; 09-16-2010 at 02:58 PM.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

I just bought my first pair as well. I tried on several first with the idea that if they weren't comfortable walking around the store, they weren't going to feel any better on the bike.

That worked well for me. I found pairs in both men's and women's and ended up with a pair of women's Specialized Mtb in a size a bit larger than I usually wear. I spent about $130 on them. I couldn't afford anything more after the bike and the fitting.

But they are very comfortable, a great fit and I'm SO glad I went clipless and got these shoes.

No more numb toes. I'm loving them. Happy shopping!

If i am reading the posts correct. Do people use MTB shoes for there road bike?? I thought road bike shoes are the only thing for a road bike.

Quote Originally Posted by przc View Post
    If i am reading the posts correct. Do people use MTB shoes for there road bike?? I thought road bike shoes are the only thing for a road bike.
    You can use MTB shoes on a road bike. But you need to make sure the pedals & cleats are compatible. Road shoes (from what I understand) tend to be stiffer - but there are some stiff MTB shoes out there.
    Alison - mama of 2 (8yo and 6yo)
    2009 Independent Fabrication steel Crown Jewel SE
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

Yup...for my first year, I used MTB shoes and SPD pedals/cleats on my road bike. After that first year, I started to develop some "hot spots" and foot/toe numbing issues, so I switched over to a road pedal/cleats and shoes. Now I am using a Shimano Ultegra pedal with Northwave road shoes and I love this combination.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

I love my Sidis. But I could never afford to pay full price for them...I found a close-out online and paid under $100. I have super narrow feet with very narrow heels and Sidis are the only cycling shoes I've found that hug my feet. And they're very comfy!