Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by StPeteNewbie View Post
    I am just getting used to the new bike and back into biking (I havent biked in 25 years) and went out for a spin today. Had some headwind, crosswind and rain. (beginning to feel like a "real" biker) The goal was to finish the last part of the bike path and I just had to touch the sign to "make it official" and I went down. I had one foot free but I forgot about the other foot still being attached to the petal. Im fine and actually I am glad that it happened. Now I know that I can survive: I only spilled a little blood and the bike is ok. Now its time for the next adventure...
    Oh dear - falling is one milestone I haven't crossed yet! I'm afraid of it, of course... I am worried about getting toe clips/clipless pedals - though I know it would improve my riding efficiency... I'm still riding my mountain bike with handlebar extender and gel seat and no clips of any kind on the pedals - I sit upright... and the bike doesn't even fit me well - it's too small for me. But I haven't fallen yet! haha. I think it would be good to get it over with, so I could be like you and know I'll survive... but I hope it doesn't happen when I'm riding down a steep hill at full speed!!!

I've just read the last several posts and there have been some inspirational happenings. So, let's see. I think my new achievements involve gaining confidence in traffic. I am more brave "taking the lane" when appropriate. Won't go into all the specifics, but I try mostly to ride on either low volume streets or streets with dedicated bike lanes. The other day, for example, there was a city truck in the bike lane and part of one of the car lanes repairing a street light. There were flaggers there holding "slow" signs. I saw that there was a car about half a block behind me, so I signaled that I would be moving left into the car lane, I confidently took the lane, and once I passed the truck, I signaled that I was returning to the right lane (bike lane had ended by then). Anyway, all went well and I wasn't too nervous. I have a rear view mirror on my helmet that helps. There are other times when bike lanes end and I am suddenly sharing a lane with a car. I stay to the right, but never put myself so close to parked cars that I could be "doored", which could be very dangerous.
    Alright ladies, keep up what you're doing. Keep sharing and encouraging.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

Traffic scares me! I have no desire to ride in traffic, but getting good at it would certainly help. Fortunately, I live in an area without a lot of traffic... but we do have a highway running through town that I try to avoid. Anyway, good for you!! A rear-view mirror seems like an awfully good idea - I need to get one - for riding along our rural country roads and forgetting about cars, until one whizzes by and startles me.

I did use the left turn lane on our highway coming home the other night, but the light didn't change for me!! I think it's got one of those things that cars trigger... at least there wasn't much traffic and when the light turned green, I just ran the red arrow since no one was coming (after it had already gone a cycle without changing). I guess I'll become a temporary pedestrian in the future at that intersection - ha.

Good luck with the traffic - you are brave!!!

Welcome Maggie and St pete,I'm so glad someone gave this thread a bump its good to read all the new achievements. Maggie sometimes I have to hit the cross walk because my bike is too light plus the more you ride in traffic the better you will get. Nothing much new to report here I'm off the bike due to an injury and now swimming lots. Hopefully back on again before all the nice weather goes
    I like bikes, sometimes more than my husband

Smile

this past sunday I got on my bike for the first time since my motorcycle wreck. 7 years away from bicycle, 3 years away from my motorcycle wreck, which I still have problems with today.

it was only 5 blocks, but it felt like an eternity to me. I don't think I have been ever that panic stricken in my life that yet so happy I finally managed to get back on a bike. this bicycle is my therapy.
    Becia, aka Daydrummer

"There is no time like the present, there is no moment like now...For those about to rock, we salute you...for those about to live before dying, keep the sun in your hair, the lights of your eyes bright, and dance like there's no tomorrow..."

That is BIG news. Great to hear it. it does take time to get in the saddle again from any accident. Mine was a car accident and I didn't want to drive or be taken any where in a car. Big high five to your acchievements.

Quote Originally Posted by daydrummer View Post
    this past sunday i got on my bike for the first time since my motorcycle wreck. 7 years away from bicycle, 3 years away from my motorcycle wreck, which i still have problems with today.

It was only 5 blocks, but it felt like an eternity to me. I don't think i have been ever that panic stricken in my life that yet so happy i finally managed to get back on a bike. This bicycle is my therapy.

awesome!
    Don't cross the river if you can swim the tide...

2011-Cannondale Synapse Alloy5 WSD with 105 and BB30!

This isn't so much of an "achievement", but getting into a habit. You know how it's said that most Americans drive a car for trips less than 5 miles from home? Or is it 2 miles? Anyway, I had a doctor's appt. to meet my new MD and had to be there at 9:00 a.m. I knew how to get there by bike but I used google maps to see what alternate ways I could take and I did go a different way than I initially would have. Got there in plenty of time and all went well. I didn't really have an excuse. When I made the appt. I specifically asked if the clinic had bicycle parking and it did. I rode 10.6 miles there and back. So...instead of using the fact that I was going to an unfamiliar place as a reason not to ride my bike I just did it and I was awake, alert and cheerful when I arrived.

@jelee, I hope you get better soon. Are you going to Oregon Manifest?
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by Daydrummer View Post
    this past sunday I got on my bike for the first time since my motorcycle wreck. 7 years away from bicycle, 3 years away from my motorcycle wreck, which I still have problems with today.

it was only 5 blocks, but it felt like an eternity to me. I don't think I have been ever that panic stricken in my life that yet so happy I finally managed to get back on a bike. this bicycle is my therapy.

That's brilliant, well done! What are you planning for your next ride?

Well done velocivixen too. I do a lot more errand biking than I ever imagined possible, it really does make a difference to fitness and finances. I have a "scenic route" into town that drops me right by my doctor's surgery.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

AWESOME!!!! Good on you for getting back on the bike!!!!

I got hit on my bike when I was a kid, so I know that fear. The fear gets better with practice, but you do have to beware the times when it pops up unexpectedly. Just gotta remember to chill out, breathe and relax! You can do it!

I did 15 miles on the road on Saturday...the most I've ever ridden on the road before. Traffic was a bit hairy a couple of times, but it was OK. I really tried to remind myself to be predictable...sometimes hard when the road surfaces are crap. I took the lane when I needed to change lanes. It was a really, really good ride.

You are all such great motivation!

Thank you for being here and posting your stories. I haven't ridden since the half century on Labor Day weekend that was the pinnacle of my biking experience... my butt was too sore at first, but it's just that "habit" thing - I'm motivated after reading all the wins, large and small, you've posted.

Getting back on after an accident would be HUGE - congratulations for that. And just changing your habits, not using convenient excuses - that is stupidly hard to do when it seems so simple. So I'd call that an achievement as well. Overcoming fears, bad habits, or pushing yourself farther - all awesome. Now to get off the computer, off my butt, and get OUT there!!

Thanks!!

Since ya'll asked, my goal is to be able to participate in the Trek Women's Breast Cancer Awareness Ride on the 8th. Just 10 miles, but its important to me for very personal reasons. I'm still panicking, but slowly getting better. My sternum is still bent from my motorcycle injury 3 years ago, so I'm hesitant in everything. But I want to do this, I need to prove to myself I'm stronger than a wreck.
    Becia, aka Daydrummer

"There is no time like the present, there is no moment like now...For those about to rock, we salute you...for those about to live before dying, keep the sun in your hair, the lights of your eyes bright, and dance like there's no tomorrow..."

Since ya'll asked, my goal is to be able to participate in the Trek Women's Breast Cancer Awareness Ride on the 8th. Just 10 miles, but its important to me for very personal reasons. I'm still panicking, but slowly getting better. My sternum is still bent from my motorcycle injury 3 years ago, so I'm hesitant in everything. But I want to do this, I need to prove to myself I'm stronger than a wreck.
    Good luck Daydrummer. I think you are most definitely stronger than a wreck.

I did a few bits of grocery shopping on the bike this morning. I know it's not a big deal, but I get such a kick out of being able to shop, get fit, and drive less all at the same time. There is a new bike/pedestrian crossing planned for an unpleasant junction which will riding rather than driving still more attractive.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Climbed Wild Horse Valley Road - the second hardest climb in Napa county - today! I have been working my way up to the top over the past couple weeks and finally made it today, all the way, with only a couple of stops to catch my breath and get a drink. Strava classifies it as a Cat 2 and it's a 9+% grade...and brutal, with lots of switchbacks which are slightly annoying going up but terrifying going down because it's a one-lane road with almost no visibility and cars suddenly coming up around the corner. I did it on my less-favorite bike (the heavier, slower Specialized Dolce Sport) too!

I hated climbing but since I'm getting better at it, I don't hate it so much, I guess. Boyfriend and I have been commuting to work on the 50-lb tandem, 30 miles each way over a mountain (about 1700 feet of climbing) and a couple of weeks ago we did the MS Waves to Wine (also on the tandem). We did the full course - 104 miles on day 1, 72 on day 2, LOTS of climbing - and we kicked @ss on the second day, finishing in 5 and a half hours (with about 45 minutes of rest stops). I have gotten into amazing shape and I guess I'm not exactly a newbie anymore
    2013 Volagi Viaje
    2002 LeMond Tete de Course rebuild/"The Chimaera"
    2012 Scott Contessa Foil with Dura-Ace
    2011? budget "Takara Kabuto" Single Speed/Fixie "The Bumblebee"
    1999 Santana Team Ti 700 tandem/"Silver Streak"