Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

oh that's brilliant, well done!

I rode a bit more of the busy road into town yesterday - the council has put a new crossing on it, which means that a nasty turn across traffic has pretty much been eliminated as long as I don't mind hopping off the bike and pressing a button. In the end I hopped off the bike a few yards early, as the bike lane was obstructed by a road works van immediately before the crossing.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Saidieme.. I think you're in this thread... if not, hi to all. I had a great day today. today was the day I got my new Bike and it's sharp. Better then what the pictures make it out to be. My husband said I did well in picking it out.

We went to the Canal on the Cape and road for about an hour. It was pretty windy and that was not enjoyable but the ride back was great. It's hard pushing against wind.

The purpose out today was to get used to the gears, shifting, get a feel for it again. I was fitted excellently with my Bike shop owner. She went over shifting, getting on, getting off, when to see if I will need a seat adjustment. They even installed my cateye . I don't know how to read it yet, but I will check into it more when it's important. I guess I think we rode about 3 miles. I got off twice. Once I walked it and then to rest my ishium. Hands and shoulders are all good.

I'm taking an epsom salt bath, just incase those parts what to try to cry to me tomorrow.

I do love it. I do hate that I'm out of shape.

WOOHOO! That sounds great tytbody! Got all your ducks in a row... and everything is working well! I'm so impressed that you can get a new bike and have everything fall together right!

Being out of shape isnt fun.... but you, (and me) are changing that, and thats a good thing!

Congratulations on your new purchase and doing it right the first time!

Pictures please?!?

Quote Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
    Saidieme.. I think you're in this thread... if not, hi to all. I had a great day today. today was the day I got my new Bike and it's sharp. Better then what the pictures make it out to be. My husband said I did well in picking it out.

We went to the Canal on the Cape and road for about an hour. It was pretty windy and that was not enjoyable but the ride back was great. It's hard pushing against wind.

The purpose out today was to get used to the gears, shifting, get a feel for it again. I was fitted excellently with my Bike shop owner. She went over shifting, getting on, getting off, when to see if I will need a seat adjustment. They even installed my cateye . I don't know how to read it yet, but I will check into it more when it's important. I guess I think we rode about 3 miles. I got off twice. Once I walked it and then to rest my ishium. Hands and shoulders are all good.

I'm taking an epsom salt bath, just incase those parts what to try to cry to me tomorrow.

I remember my first rides--painful yet wonderful at the same time. May the wind be at your back next time!

Quote Originally Posted by tytbody View Post

Yay! Sounds like a good first ride on a new bike! Would you mind sharing where you purchased your new bike? I'm looking at getting a road bike, and all of the LBS seem, except for Harris, to have pretty mixed reviews.

DH and I are planning on doing some riding on the cape in October. Haven't ridden any of the paths there before, so it should be interesting...and likely cold.

Had another really great ride today and tackled my own personal great white whale.

There's a really steep hill fairly near my house that I tried to ride up a few years ago. I made it only a small part of the way up before having an exercise-induced asthma attack. It was the first time I'd ridden with DH...I was mortified by the whole thing.

Today, many pounds lighter and in much better shape, I decided to try the hill again. I fully expected to have to walk part of it, but I did good. I got to the top without even beging in my absolute lowest granny gear. I had to let out a little whoop when I made it. That hill has been so HUGE in my head for the longest time...now it's DONE! And, having done it once, I can easily do it many more times. It was a pretty big moment for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Titania View Post
    Yay! Sounds like a good first ride on a new bike! Would you mind sharing where you purchased your new bike? I'm looking at getting a road bike, and all of the LBS seem, except for Harris, to have pretty mixed reviews.

DH and I are planning on doing some riding on the cape in October. Haven't ridden any of the paths there before, so it should be interesting...and likely cold.
    You should come down. I'm sure they would make it worth your while. I recommend Cycle Lodge.
    Excellent shop. My husband was impressed with the service. Both husband and wife very knowledgeable of bikes. Fit, gave me first hand instruction. She said, I want to make sure Cheryl knows how to work the gears before leaving. I tell you, don't go to REI or any other chain. They got it or if not, they will get it.

My bike does not have that tube in the middle because it's a step through. it's so close to my body that I can't fit if they put a bottl on that shaft. I had to have them take it off. Now She, the owner could step through. I said, this baby got more back then you sista.

Had another really great ride today and tackled my own personal great white whale.

There's a really steep hill fairly near my house that I tried to ride up a few years ago. I made it only a small part of the way up before having an exercise-induced asthma attack. It was the first time I'd ridden with DH...I was mortified by the whole thing.

Today, many pounds lighter and in much better shape, I decided to try the hill again. I fully expected to have to walk part of it, but I did good. I got to the top without even beging in my absolute lowest granny gear. I had to let out a little whoop when I made it. That hill has been so HUGE in my head for the longest time...now it's DONE! And, having done it once, I can easily do it many more times. It was a pretty big moment for me.
    You know, that sounds great. I can't wait to achieve my first hill. That is so great. I would give you a hug if I could cause that's really good. !@!!!!!!!

First Spill.......

I am just getting used to the new bike and back into biking (I havent biked in 25 years) and went out for a spin today. Had some headwind, crosswind and rain. (beginning to feel like a "real" biker) The goal was to finish the last part of the bike path and I just had to touch the sign to "make it official" and I went down. I had one foot free but I forgot about the other foot still being attached to the petal. Im fine and actually I am glad that it happened. Now I know that I can survive: I only spilled a little blood and the bike is ok. Now its time for the next adventure...
    2011 Giant Avail Advanced 1

For me, I guess being this is my second ride, I did 10.24 miles. I don't now if the cadence thing is the single digets, (I have to read the instructions) but I seem to have kept it around 7. it would go 5,6,7 8. I noticed the numbers on that ting as high as 18. That was going down hill so I know it has something to do with pedaling or wheel rotation.

I guess my 'newbie accomplishment* is getting hubby to go for a short ride with me today. He borrowed a bike from a friend. It was an antique, single speed bike. We rode a bit over 4 miles total before he was worn out! We traded bikes for the last mile so he could see that it doesnt have to be that hard! Not sure if he will be willing to do it again, but I tried to get him out there with me!

you neve know. He may try your's out again and say, I think I'll get one. I saw my neighbor, out today on HER new bike. So it can be contagious. She has not ridden in a while same as me but she looked good. I was on my way out so we didn't chat much. I said, anytime, just ring my door bell or text me. I had my little girl in the car with me so we are always ready. (the little girl is my bike) I've not named her yet.

Signs of Progress

Hi all - I'm a new member and a new rider - started this summer (July 2011). I am amazed at how rapidly improvement happens in biking - it is what has gotten me to love it again! I see all kinds of signs of progress, every time I ride - from feeling better, not being as sore, making it farther up hills without needing to stop, not needing to stop as often, riding farther, feeling more confident... not moaning and groaning as much - haha.

My biggest achievements happened while riding with a women's group on weekly rides - the first time I doubled my longest distance ride up to that point, went over bigger hills, and felt pretty good afterwards. But I was afraid to ride over cattle guards...

The next time I went out with them, I braved the cattle guards!! I was so proud! And I rode 20 miles! The next time I rode 25! And my butt and legs didn't hurt as much, either The next time I rode 30 miles and made it to the top of a summit - I was so out of breath I thought I would collapse and my heart was going to burst out of my chest like in Aliens - haha - but I made it! The next time, I made it, AND had enough energy and breath to yell "WHOOO!" at the top and even talk! And my next ride? FORTY EIGHT MILES!! I rode with my husband in the High Sierra Fall Century (short course) and made it to Wildrose Summit!! WHOOO!!! That was last weekend!

I would never have done it without the encouragement and support and cheering on of the folks in that group, and my husband.

Now I want to get a road bike, and I want to ride my bike more and more, and next year I will ride the full century!! This is something I could never have imagined even wanting to do, let alone actually doing it.

Biking rules!!!!

That is so great!!! The first hill I did that with is near our house - I remember it seemed really hard the first time I did it, and I was so out of breath, but now it is no big deal - I LOVE that. And I love no longer being afraid of hills!! Conquering those goals feels so amazing - I've never been athletic, but I'm starting to feel like biking is changing that - hooray!!

Welcome Maggie and StPetenewbie!

I love reading all the successes here.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.