Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

@hansbrea, it's fun getting those kinds of goodies in the mail. Enjoy them.

So my "achievement" is that I rode my new road bike for 15 miles today! I haven't been on a drop bar bike in years so I thought I'd have more of a learning curve. Also it has a Brooks B17 Standard saddle that's working out well. I will say that the fork was left uncut so my handlebars are higher up than a typical road bike would have. The stem is about the same height as the saddle. I'm fine with that though, especially riding in an urban setting where I need to see over cars.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

Weeeee!!!!

I did my first triathlon 7 years ago, after a stint as a collegiate athlete.

I'm nowhere NEAR that kind of shape anymore, but I decided that I was going to start doing triathlons again. I signed up for my first race at the end of May. For my birthday, I bought myself a $300 bike online. Flat black and pretty, I fell in love with my cheap-o as soon as I got him.

I, honestly, did precious little cycling to prepare for my two races in May (cycling is my weakest leg--I swam competitively for twelve years, and I am also a former marathon runner, so I've got the basics on those two legs of the race!). I felt like when I said, "I am a cyclist" what I meant was, "I own a bike."

Not anymore! Last Saturday, I had a "bike date." Turns out the guy I had been seeing was an avid cyclist! Yay for me! Well, the relationship isn't going to go anywhere, but that ride awoke my inner cyclist! I have been on my bike or in the gym EVERY DAY since then. The ride we went on was a 11 mile REALLY hilly loop...I walked up ALL the hills that first ride.

Well, 11 days later, and 5 more times around that loop, and I've made it up all but one of the hills!!! I'm also getting better at clipping in quickly and efficiently, changing gears often and at appropriate times, and handling the downhills and switchbacks without fear! The other day, I actually caught myself saying, "weeeeeee!!!" aloud as I cruised down a hill I had just chugged up. I'm not fast...and I don't ride pretty (I'm sure I make the elite cyclists on the loop cringe) but I love it, and I'm hopelessly addicted. And, I'm REALLY excited about my upcoming triathlons. I feel so much more prepared now!

Oh, and I've lost 7 pounds in 10 days!

Good for you! Just remember to rest and keep drinking.

I guess all the riding I've been doing has paid off. It's too hot to ride outside, so I stuck the bike on the trainer. I did half an hour with only two short breaks for water, as opposed to winter, where I did half an hour with several longer breaks for water and for my legs to stop burning.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Took my bike up the two steep hills on my commute, and most of the little hills, instead of getting off like a sissy
    Happily at the center of a poly V with my bikes
    -"Cookie Monster" 2001 Motiv Mountain converted for commuting. My little monster.
    -"Bella" Concord Freedom10- My little project. Sweat and blood, pretty girl <3

I got a babysitter for last night and went on a 10-mile bike ride. It was supposed to be around 15 but I bailed out at 10. I am doing a 16-mile race tomorrow that will actually be timed and riders listed in order finished. I am really nervous about that. I don't want to come in with a terrible time and have people see it and go "look how slow she is". Also, I haven't ridden the route and there is now map available so I don't know what it is like. For the most part it can't be too bad, though, as that is the town where I grew up and I know the area where they are having it, just not exactly where.

Last night I had to stop three times to take a breather so I think I must have been trying to go too fast. Is it better to go slow and steady or really try and push myself? Other rides I've gotten home and felt like I could have kept on going. Last night I was happy to be done. I threw some speed workouts in there too where I went as fast as I could for 20 seconds or so.

Wish me luck tomorrow and thanks for all the advice I've seen on here so far, ladies.

Okay, the achievement for this week actually belongs to my family. My two youngest kids (ages 9 and 11) and my husband and I went on a 22 mile ride, and they made it at an average of 8.9 mph! My hubbie was on a fixed gear (not intentionally, his Trek's gears were broken), and the two kids were on their old beat up BMX bikes, and it was 93 degrees out and muggy...they did so well that we got the eldest a cheapo mountain bike (he really wants a new racing bmx, but we're going to do more bike tours so thought a geared bike would be appropo) and the youngest got a Specialized Hotrock because he wants to learn to ride like Mom

They are having so much fun on these rides that as we're planning our vacation (in two weeks!) they want to incorporate a lot of biking! Yay!

As far as my achievements go, my mileage for last week was 88.9 miles - 10 miles better than the previous week. I also got my bike fitted today, which should make a huge difference in my riding ability. My seat was, as I suspected, too narrow for my sitbones (155, in case anyone is wondering), and he moved it back (which will alleviate my knee pain) and up...then he changed my handlebar stem to a shorter one to make the reach better.

I was so proud, after we were all done the fitter said "you've got a sweet little ride there" - I'm proud of my little girl (Jamis Satellite Sport mens). It's not a common bike around here since no one carries them, but it's a good solid steel bike, and seems to be very versatile.

So very happy for a good biking week and an excited family!

hansbrea - forgot to ask - how did your race go?

Quote Originally Posted by itsalldownhill View Post
    hansbrea - forgot to ask - how did your race go?
    Yes! I want to know too. Hope it went well!

Umm, it went, how's that for an answer? Haha. I was the fattest lady there and the majority of others were on rode bikes, had snazzy riding gear and obviously rode more. I placed somewhere in the 20's, not exactly sure where as the guy wouldn't give me an exact number. I also don't know for sure how many riders there were but do know there weren't much more than that. Three riders came in behind me but I know one of them should have been in front of me (he looked about 12) as he passed me and then turned around to ride with his family.

I did manage to finish the ride without stopping once and averaged 12.6 mph. I was hoping to do a little better than that but oh well. My time was 1:16 for 16 miles. You should have seen everyone peel off and pass me at the beginning. It was REALLY embarrassing. I'm not at all happy.

My only consolation is that this year there was only once bike race instead of a 10 and 24 mile. If I'd raced against other newbies and done the 10 mile I know I would have placed a lot better. Sigh, maybe I'll do better next time.

I think it is great that you are out there doing it! I haven't had the confidence to enter anything yet.

hansbrea, you DID it...that's what matters! 12.6 mph over 16 miles isn't embarrassing - it's a good newbie pace. Now you have a benchmark for your next races I haven't raced yet because we're concentrating on distance first...but next year I probably will!

You did a great job! Go you!!!

well done for entering the race and congratulations on finishing it, hansbrea! I don't think you have anything to be embarassed about.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Hansbrea kudos to you for doing a race!I hope you had some fun.
    I like bikes, sometimes more than my husband

What a difference!!

So my accomplishment this week is a 7-mile ride. I finally found a properly fitting saddle (that only took 3 months and 4 saddles). I fell off the kitchen counter onto my tailbone about 2 weeks after starting to bike again, just bruised, so I knew it would take a little while. I didn't walk at all, even on the dumb hill right after a stop sign. I know it's not much, but yay anyway!
    Life is full of surprises, I don't know why I keep getting surprised.
    Do what you're meant to do, and you'll be happy wherever you are.

-Schwinn Riverside for putzing around town
    -Trek 7.3 - went through a tornado, needs fixing up.

I ordered and installed this Velo-Orange chainring guard. It fit and looks great. So that's my newby achievement. http://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...ing-guard.html
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison