Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    Also did my first 70km road ride today on local country roads- legs are so sore, but it was the best day. Bring on my first 100km ride!
    Hey, me too Kudos to both of us!!
    2013 Volagi Viaje
    2002 LeMond Tete de Course rebuild/"The Chimaera"
    2012 Scott Contessa Foil with Dura-Ace
    2011? budget "Takara Kabuto" Single Speed/Fixie "The Bumblebee"
    1999 Santana Team Ti 700 tandem/"Silver Streak"

Not a huge achievement to some but I rode 8 miles yesterday with barely a stop. Even the traffic lights that give me some slight relief (lol) were all green so I had to keep pushing on! I almost didn't go out yesterday but now I am so glad that I did.

I also had my first motorist give me the bird bc I was in the left lane (approaching a left turn I needed to make). I crossed early bc there were no cars but I am thinking I need to figure out a different route to make that necessary left a right. Or...just tell the motorist to buzz off. I dunno.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by rubysoho View Post
    Not a huge achievement to some but I rode 8 miles yesterday with barely a stop. Even the traffic lights that give me some slight relief (lol) were all green so I had to keep pushing on! I almost didn't go out yesterday but now I am so glad that I did.

I also had my first motorist give me the bird bc I was in the left lane (approaching a left turn I needed to make). I crossed early bc there were no cars but I am thinking I need to figure out a different route to make that necessary left a right. Or...just tell the motorist to buzz off. I dunno.
    Yes, it is a huge achievement and what a great feeling it must have been, most of us have been there, in fact once again that's just what I am doing, so I really understand.

Hahaha, hope you gave him the bird back.
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

I did a very hilly 13 Miles yesterday. The group started off planning 16-22 but some of us ended up taking a wrong turn and made it back to the cars quicker. I did it on my hybrid and was longing for my light and quick road bike. Of course, had I taken my road bike I would Have been wishing for my my more upright hybrid on 40+mph descent and when the big trucks were speeding by. I do feel more in control on my hybrid even though it is a heavy beast.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkOrange View Post
    Yes, it is a huge achievement and what a great feeling it must have been, most of us have been there, in fact once again that's just what I am doing, so I really understand.

Hahaha, hope you gave him the bird back.
    OMG, it was so out of character for me but I did! With a huge, endorphine-rush smile on my face. It was the last 1/8 mile of my ride and I was pedaling HARD and... well... I didn't feel like taking crap!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by rubysoho View Post
    OMG, it was so out of character for me but I did! With a huge, endorphine-rush smile on my face. It was the last 1/8 mile of my ride and I was pedaling HARD and... well... I didn't feel like taking crap!
    Love it, you made me laugh so much, I didn't expect your reply back.

Sometimes these things have to be done, even if it's out of character.

Good luck on your next longer rides and hopefully no 'bird' signs from any car drivers.

Ride safe.
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

I share the same goal as in keeping my bike upright - I also have clipless pedals waiting for me too, and shiny new shoes...maybe later this summer Good luck to you!

I hear you. I learned to really ride last spring. Had a bad crash and got great suggestions here on recovery stuff in last fall. Finally did my first 4 miles of the summer. I know its not much but I was so happy to be back riding! I am starting wobbly right now, esp as I am on a new bike for me -- a Trek 7.3FX. Used to be hubby's -but we got a better fitting and realized we both were riding bikes too small. I have his now -- and he's got a new one. My new goal is to get my starts off smooth again.

Getting up the hills to work is easier! Made it to work today in 23 minutes, as compared with 28 last week. I only had to walk my bike up one hill, instead of the 3 I usually do. It really has given me renewed motivation that I can do it.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

I mentioned it in the Memorial Day Weekend Rides thread on the open board, but I had my longest and fastest trip so far today! Did 10 miles on a rail-trail, averaging about 10 mph (normally I'm around 8). I probably could have made it faster if I had gone the opposite direction, I did a real good job of riding down the gentle grade with a tail wind in the first 20 minutes, and then taking 40 minutes to haul back to the start point. But it was still a blast!
    2011 Trek 7.2 WSD
    198? Sovereign 12-speed (Sears Special)

@Veganbikechick, great job on the hills. I hope commuting to work is going well with you. It's nice to hear about success stories.

I am doing gardening things today and have a surprise bike adventure planned for myself & DH tomorrow. He's so great in that he is willing to just "go along" with whatever ideas I have. Honestly, if it weren't for his willingness to go with me I doubt I'd be doing as many bikey things as I am. Most of the bike "groups" around seem to have "beginner" rides which are either faster or longer distances than I'm used to riding, so I just ride alone.

Hope everyone has a safe and fun filled holiday weekend.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

Went riding with a guy friend today for 23 miles. Nearly twice as long as my longest ride. it was awesome! Had some great sprints and conquered a few tough hills. Might meet up again tomorrow for another 20 mile ride, though a little more flat and I am going to keep sprints to a minimum (currently icing a knee that I tweaked during one of the last sprints). It went a lot faster than i expected, having someone to compete against was a lot of fun too!

X-posted in Memorial Day ride thread -

I did my first (metric) century on Saturday in Indian Valley (Northeastern CA, the Sierras). Longest single ride I've been on and the altitude was WAY above what I'm used to, which made it really hard - it was close to 4000 feet and I live about 200 feet above sea level. There were lots of small hills, but I am totally new to hill climbing, so that was a challenge too. And on the way back, for the last, oh, 20 miles, it was 40 degrees and raining - eventually sleeting/hailing, VERY painful - and I have never ridden in the rain. And did I mention I was wearing shorts and fingerless gloves? Thankfully I had 5 layers on top and a waterproof windbreaker. I was shivering when I got back but okay - my boyfriend, who did the full century and got up to the elevation where it started snowing, did not have any wet weather gear on and came back soaked and almost hypothermic

I was pretty proud of myself for completing the ride and making it through those conditions - hell of a first ride! - but I felt pretty awesome. Not bad for just starting riding (3 months this weekend!!)
    2013 Volagi Viaje
    2002 LeMond Tete de Course rebuild/"The Chimaera"
    2012 Scott Contessa Foil with Dura-Ace
    2011? budget "Takara Kabuto" Single Speed/Fixie "The Bumblebee"
    1999 Santana Team Ti 700 tandem/"Silver Streak"

@MojoGrll, what an accomplishment! Congratulations on a job well done.

I rode my bike a total of 27.55 miles today, including a partial trip by light rail. I posted about it on my thread about riding outside of my comfort zone. Had great fun. It was only about 59 degrees, very cloudy, breezy, but not one drop of rain!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

Did another 20 miles today and my thighs are definitely feeling it. Quite proud of myself for doing 43 miles in two days. A friend is doing 120 today but somehow I am still pleased with my own rides. Bike still needs tweaking because my shoulders are hurting quite a bit by mile 10 ( today and and yesterday). But yay for adding mileage!!!