Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Can't insert tampon

To disable ads, please log-in.

My daughter (15 yrs) has had her period for about a year and a half, which happened to coincide when she wasn't on swim team. Recently she joined again, and she did the swim part of the triathlon with us today. Last night was a crisis because her period started and she has never successfully used a tampon.

She had tried early on and gave up. She had tried with an entire box of the smallest size. A friend advised us to try Tampax Pearl as having the easiest applicators so I got the smallest of those--still no luck. She was sobbing because she'd have to miss the triathlon. Since it was in a lake, I told her to put a pad in her swimsuit until right before the start, then take it out for the swim. That worked this time but it won't work for swim meets!

Last month her solution was to skip a week of swim practice, and she's been worrying about it ever since. I wish I'd been less oblivious and realized the problem sooner.

She doesn't think the problem is an overgrown hymen because she did manage to get one tampon in once (but not sufficiently far in, I think, it hurt and she took it out). I'm going to take her to a doctor to make sure everything is ok.

Any thoughts or suggestions? She's interested in the DivaCup, which I've heard great things about, and besides with that we'd know how much which is an issue (I think she, like me, has unusually heavy periods, but I've never been able to prove it). But if she can't insert a tampon I don't see how she'd be able to insert the DivaCup.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Maybe some lubricant on the applicator? If it is not a physical thing ( I would make a MD appt to check things out if this isn't resolved soon), then it could be a mental block, tensing up because she is afraid it is going to hurt thus creating a vicious cycle. Maybe doing something different - like adding a lubricant- could help.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Sometimes a retroverted uterus can make tampons a misery to use.

There's nothing wrong with a retroverted uterus, but it can cause problems with things like tampons, diaphragms, and Diva cups.

Of course, the doc can't tell in the office without doing a pelvic exam, which would be cruel at this point. Maybe an ultrasound?
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

A kind and understanding doc or NP can help her figure out what's going on and how to deal with it comfortably.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

They're all DO's around here, that's like halfway between MD and ND right? LOL
    Sounds like doctor's visit is the next step, she did try lubricant. Could be she's just tensing up too much, the right doc could set her mind at ease. The wrong doc could set her back so I will make sure we get a right one!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

However you feel about other services they provide, Planned Parenthood has the information your daughter needs, and they deal routinely with girls her age.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    However you feel about other services they provide, Planned Parenthood has the information your daughter needs, and they deal routinely with girls her age.
    +1 IMO, your daughter really needs a good nurse practitioner who specializes in gynecology. Someone who will take the time to listen.

The staff at the PP clinics are amazing. All controversy aside, they do offer some of the best women's health care around.

Agree, Planned Parenthood is a great resource.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Sometimes a retroverted uterus can make tampons a misery to use.

There's nothing wrong with a retroverted uterus, but it can cause problems with things like tampons, diaphragms, and Diva cups.
    That's the first thing I thought of too. Has she tried angling it different ways? I think they say to aim it towards your back, but I have to angle tampons or the DC towards the front.
    Sarah
    2008 Specialized Dolce

Perhaps have her try OB. I've found that regular Tampax type tampons are too long for me and very uncomfortable. OB works great. Easier to position too, since they are smaller. They have a Silk Ease version too, which would be good if you could find it.

OB has a free sample here.
    Specialized Oura or Romin Evo Saddles

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    +1 IMO, your daughter really needs a good nurse practitioner who specializes in gynecology. Someone who will take the time to listen.

The staff at the PP clinics are amazing. All controversy aside, they do offer some of the best women's health care around.
    Totally. Some of the best reproductive care I ever received was from PP. Sure beat the jackhole OB.

Re: the Diva Cup, if she did decide to eventually try menstrual cups, I think the Diva Cup would be the last one she might want to try. They are the largest ones on the market. I had no luck with them, even after having a kid. Something smaller like the Mooncup (UK or US--mine is the US one) might work better.

But my guess is that she'd have an even tougher time with menstrual cups. There is a bit of a learning curve with them. I have a tilted uterus and found menstrual cups a bit challenging at first...not sure if that was due to my uterus, or just having a relatively small vaginal canal or what.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I have a tilted uterus and found menstrual cups a bit challenging at first...not sure if that was due to my uterus, or just having a relatively small vaginal canal or what.
    I had this experience as well -- very challenging. Also, difficult to remove. If daughter has a heavy flow she might be in the situation of needing to remove + empty in a public washroom, which could be a hassle.

She might be just stressed about using them and is tensing up unconsciously. I was probably at least 20 before I could comfortably use tampons on a regular basis, and I've actually had problems on occasion towards the end of my period where inserting a tampon completely is ridiculously painful (and not worth it).

Definitely get an appointment for her, regardless of the cause. I hope she can find a solution soon! It would suck for something like that to interfere with something she enjoys as much as swimming.

I have always had a hard time with tampon (and I'm 40). I can get them to work but I have to lean forward, like in a squat but with my chest on my thighs, to get it in. Things must be tipped weird or something because I cannot insert it unless I'm in that position.

I can use a mooncup (like a diva) but I have to turn it inside out (which makes it shorter and gets rid of the stem).

Quote Originally Posted by Dannielle View Post
    I can use a mooncup (like a diva) but I have to turn it inside out (which makes it shorter and gets rid of the stem).
    I cut my stem entirely off. The thing drove me nuts and didn't do anything to aid removal.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2