Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Cyclist Shoved Off Bike Near Waterfront, Pulls Pepper Spray On Assailant

To disable ads, please log-in.

This happened in Seattle.
    Cyclist Shoved Off Bike Near Waterfront, Pulls Pepper Spray On Assailant
    By Jonah Spangenthal-Lee

Usually Tom is on the bad-things-that-happen-to-cyclists beat, but today you get me.

Around 10:00pm on September 4th, police were called to meet a man who was shoved off his bike under the Alaskan Way viaduct.

The victim told police he was riding his bike southbound on Alaskan Way near Columbia St. when a man—who the victim apparently knew—approached him and pushed him off his bike.

the suspect picked up the victim's bicycle and "threw it in the street," and the victim pulled out pepper spray to defend himself.

The victim pepper sprayed the suspect—and also himself—and the suspect fled.

The victim picked his bike up, called 911, and rinsed pepper spray out of his eyes before police arrived.

It appears police were not able to make contact with the suspect.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

But he knew the assailant, so he can tell the police where to find the guy, yes? This doesn't sound like a random assault. If he knew him, the assailant probably had some kind of beef with the cyclist and was acting out of anger.

Who carries pepper spray on their bike? Is that even allowed? I used to carry it long, long ago, but I went to visit the Supreme Court in session, and it was confiscated by their security guards.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

I carry pepper spray when I ride alone. It is allowed, but only in small quantities here in CA. And you can only use it when necessary; if you spray someone who is not a 'valid' threat you can be arrested. At least that is what I have been told.
    Specialized Oura or Romin Evo Saddles

See, now that makes sense. The security guards told me it was considered a concealed weapon in DC. I had no idea.

I don't carry anything like that when I'm riding. There's no room for it in my tool bag.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    amazing about pepper spray restrictions in various parts of U.S....when gun control/allowance is different.

I'm not sure what it is for Canada on pepper spray. But because its aeorosal can, maybe that alone would have restrictions..
    Last edited by shootingstar; 09-09-2010 at 04:19 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I took a rape aggression defense class in college, and one of the things they taught us is that people who use pepper spray without training are statistically just as likely to spray themselves as their opponent (as this guy proved). We had an entire class dedicated to learning how to spray people effectively using silly string instead. I have a really funny picture of the cop who taught the class covered head-to-toe with the stuff at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post

I'm not sure what it is for Canada on pepper spray. But because its aeorosal can, maybe that alone would have restrictions..
    I don't know either, but I do know that on more than one occasion I have been asked when crossing the border into Canada if I have any weapons with me and they include pepper spray in the list they rattle off.

That stuff doesn't necessarily work anyway - don't ask me how I know

I carry pepper spray whenever I'm riding in an area where stray dogs are a concern. I thought that this was fairly common among cyclists It certainly works well on German Shepherds. I wouldn't pull it out on an attacker; it would likely only aggravate the situation.

they make something that looks like pepper spray but instead makes a really loud sound. i knew a lady who carried it and she told me she carried it because sometimes the person you are trying to spray can grab the spray can and spray you instead. with the loud sound it will make the sound regardless who sprays it. i used to have one but that was many years ago.
    Pi - 2010 Luna Orbit / brooks 68 imperial
    Fish - 2009 Marin Bear Valley/ brooks 68
    Trixie - BMX / to be decided

Quote Originally Posted by soprano View Post
    I carry pepper spray whenever I'm riding in an area where stray dogs are a concern. I thought that this was fairly common among cyclists It certainly works well on German Shepherds. I wouldn't pull it out on an attacker; it would likely only aggravate the situation.

German Shepherds must like to chase bikes. I decided to buy some dog pepper spray after being chased by two in one day. Luckily I've never had to use it.

As for when I'm not riding, I have keychain pepper spray. My mom insists I carry it haha. I appreciate her concern but I'd most likely spray myself on accident.

I used to carry a pepper spray on the keychain thing. My dad's doberman found my keys and ATE the can. I found my keys with pepper spray can shredded.

I guess he liked it!!
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

I carry a small can of "Halt" pepper spray on my bike clipped onto the handlebars. Have had a lot of problems with dogs over the years, though not lately since I've moved to town. I have only used it if a dog was pretty much nipping at my heels. In other words, very rarely!

As far as I know, it's entirely legal here. Saw it for sale at Performance this very day, in fact.
    Last edited by emily_in_nc; 09-11-2010 at 01:52 PM.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow