Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Alrighty then to the wrenches out there!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've posted my woes on the brake thread. nada!!

I need to replace my brake pads on my SRAM FORCE brake. I've removed the pad with the metal casing off the brake calipers and I've removed the small metal pin that holds the pad in place. The pad is frozen in the metal casing (shell).

Any suggestion of removing the pad short of destroying the shell or having to cut the pad into pieces.

I took it back to my LBS and they couldn't get to come out.

Anything??? Pads need to be replaced and I'm not about to buy another new set of brakes!!

I guess what I would try is to squirt some penetrating lubricant between the pad and the shoe, let it set for a couple of hours, then put the shoe in a vise with the open end down (cushion it with blocks of wood or a towel, and clamp only tight enough to hold it), and use a punch and soft hammer to try to knock the pad out.

If you use any lubricant, make sure you clean the shoe thoroughly with brake cleaner or soap and water before installing the new pad.

Also, there will probably be residue from the old brake pad on the inside of the shoe. Take that off with Scotch-Brite and brake cleaner, or if you use a petroleum-based solvent, again make sure you clean it off completely.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I read that as wenches and thought this was going to be about pirates.

I'm sorry I can't help.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Can you insert anything behind the brake pad or is the entire surface frozen to the clamp? I've had a couple of stuck pads, but I've been able to get them out by either working something with a sharpish point into the pad material and just pushing (or hammering on the end of the handle) or by using a screwdriver as a lever between the pad and the back of the clamp.

A picture might be useful.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

can you post a picture?

edited for this: http://bicycling.about.com/od/bikema...ram_recall.htm -maybe you have a new set of brakes coming your way.

and for: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/ro...6250.20.1.html

The brake pads are replaceable with any Shimano/SRAM-compatible pad. - these should come w/ the metal casing already on them.
    Last edited by tangentgirl; 09-06-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Thank you Oakleaf,

I went and bought a small can of penetrating oil. It stinks! but dribbled some on the seam between the pad and the shoe. Used a pair of pliers and squeezed the pads to break the bond between the pad and the shoe. I gave up for a while.

Came back about an hour later and tried and it slid out about 1/4" and got stuck again... :x
    Used the pliers and pulled on the piece of the pad that was sticking out and it finally released. So one thing off the "to do list"

Sheesh! You think they were glued in!!

And Thank you tangentgirl. My brake caliper is not part of the recall. I sort of checked when I first got them.

But three things went on the to do list. Our geriatric dog peed on his sleeping pad and he was still asleep on it this morning. Soooo wash the sleeping pad even though the washing instruction said no soap then washed the golden retriever who hates water and while at it also washed his brother, a lab mix who also hates water. Well the dogs will be clean for the day.

The golden is sleeping by my feet as I type. Been a long day cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    I read that as wenches and thought this was going to be about pirates.
    Arrrrrrr!
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.