Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Rides 9/4

Rides 9/4

To disable ads, please log-in.

Today I did the Soldier Ride, as part of the Wounded Warrior Project. It started 3 miles from my house, at the Old North Bridge, and basically just looped around Concord and Carlisle for 30 miles. All roads I could ride in my sleep.
    It was inspiring to see the disabled vets riding, some with some very cool looking hand cycles, trikes, and recumbents. Some were on regular bikes, too.
    The start was a little hairy... the police lead us out for the first mile, with the vets in front. There were about 200 people and I do not do well with that kind of closeness to other riders, who were across both lanes of the roads. As I was going around the rotary in Concord center, I happened to glance left and some guy was about to ram into me. I kind of swore at him and got a "sorry."
    After that, though the vets stopped as they rode at a slower pace, and the rest of us went on and spread out. We were up near the front and I knew I couldn't sustain that pace. After climbing the only real hill in the ride, DH was ahead of me and "didn't know" I had fallen back. I am recovering from a sinus infection and did not feel too great. At one point, I went by the turn to my neighborhood and was tempted, but I tried to focus on what the vets had gone through to keep me going. Met up with DH at the rest stop, where I realized I still was with the "pretty fast" riders. We slowed a little after that.
    There was a nice boxed lunch at the end, but no real activities, etc. Some people did 60 miles by doing the loop twice, but it was already a kind of ho-hum route for us, and I was ready to go home.
    A total of 37.5 miles and a very good cause. Although I did not like that Curt Schilling, who gave an introductory speech, had to inject some politics into the day, in his speech. Why do Republicans think they have monopoly on patriotism?
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    ... Why do Republicans think they have monopoly on patriotism?
    I will never understand this either.
    At least the left always has better political satire & comedy.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I set out this morning before dawn planning on 75 miles. I knew it was cold (er) with 54 degrees and it wasn't supposed to get above 65 until noon. So I dressed in my bibs, leg warmers, merino wool jersey and thermal jacket. I did not anticipate that would not be enough and it wasn't I was COLD

Guess that I've acclimated to 90+ temps and my poor body didn't know what to think of this kind of change. I would have been fine, however, if one wicked west wind hadn't started up and I do mean a strong one. After 38 miles I decided to call it a morning and to do my 75 in Monday - it will be warmer then...

I did fine with the cold and the wind, but it was a surprise. If I hadn't had an open house to attend around noon I would have stuck with it.

On a positive note, I finally "used the bushes" for the first time without someone around to keep watch for me - it's only taken me 8 months to be able to do that!

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Did 45 kms. For reasons not clear, I was abit tired. But gorgeous sunny day with some wind.

Towards the end, went grocery shopping. Bought alot of fish --a whole whitefish, salmon fillet, a little trout and hauled it home in 1 pannier. This should last for a few months.

I was starting in lean abit on that ride. Pannier included 2 corn cobs, several peaches and plums.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I didn't get my butt out until 3:45p today

I cranked out a 50mile out & back. I feel really good these days. At the end, I still had the energy to bust out some sprints (not super sprints, but still...).

I'm working out some issues these days. I think I want to race again (it has been almost 20 years -- I was in my early teens), but there is all that stuff that goes with racing. So, these nice long, solitary rides give me plenty of thinking time on the bike. Oh, how I love my bike

Great hilly 35 mile ride this morning. I have lost about 12 pounds in the last month (the only good thing so far coming from an emotional heart break!) and I feel really great on the bike. I can definitely feel a difference.

So today I got chased by 2 dogs. This is nothing compared to my last several rides, which included in no particular order:

Yellowjacket sting, resulting in swollen infected leg
    School bus turned left in front of me, near crash
    Cleat jammed & wouldn't release, tipped over
    Hit and knocked down child on the bike trail, she was ok
    Lost control and hit a fence after being blasted by an air horn

I feel like I am forgetting something. Anyway, chased by dogs was mild in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by RolliePollie View Post
    I feel like I am forgetting something. Anyway, chased by dogs was mild in comparison.
    omg, I am sorry (because it made me laugh). that is all so much. I know it is not funny at the time, but it made me laugh.

Dang Rollie!

I'm pretty sure that's the kind of day I'd have had if I'd had a day on a bike, which I didn't.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

55 miles with a group ride. Great paceline into the wind - had forgotten how much sucking wheel conserves energy! My friend was starting to bonk towards the end so had to slow down a bit. It got hot quickly and traffic became heavy towards the end - plus some construction zones. All in all, a pleasant ride with a group that I rarely ride with. Previous rides had them stopping every 5-10 miles .We only stopped three times, which was perfect.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Slept through the usual Sat. morning 8am group ride. Later I tagged along on the DH's cross training ride. Love my new cyclocross bike! I feel like I can bomb over anything, yet I'm still pretty fast on it. We jumped a barrier he set up in our yard, practiced our mounts and dismounts, and then headed to a dirt road circuit. I love coming home covered in dust