Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Easy rides near Forks, WA?

To disable ads, please log-in.

We're going to be camping at Klahowya campgrounds in Forks next week and are wondering if it's worth it to take our bikes? We've only ridden on bike trails like the B-G and Sammamish River Trail in Seattle and are wondering if there are similar areas anywhere around Forks or the Olympic rain forest?

I don't mean to be lazy. I have checked the boards and saw someone was asking about the Olympic Peninsula, but Tri Girl is way more experience than I am! I've checked out Mapmyride but I can't really tell if the couple of routes I see there are within our skill level, although I have a sneaking suspicion not

Maybe a day trip somewhere outside of the area would be better? We usually go home via Sequim, maybe that would be a better option?

Thanks in advance!! I'm really excited about taking my bike camping for the first time!
    I'm not so lean and mean, but I am large and in charge!

Jamis Citizen 1 Femme

There's one longer paved MUP that I know of over on the peninsula - it runs between Port Angeles and Sequim. More info can be found here: http://www.olympicbikeadventure.com/trailmap.html
    Last edited by Eden; 09-02-2010 at 11:00 AM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

That looks promising, thanks Eden I've thought it would be nice to see more of those towns so that's a good excuse for that as well.

I have a hybrid with 700 x 38c tires, so I could do some dirt trails and things too I think. Well...maybe haha.

Jamis Citizen 1 Femme

We did this trail a few weeks ago, starting in Port Angles and riding for about 6/7 miles. Rode back and had lunch and then drove to Sequim to ride again from the railroad bridge for another 10 miles or so. It was absolutely beautiful! Warning, some of the trail sections out of Port Angles are dirt/gravel. It wasn't too bad, and if you have a hybrid you will be fine! The trail is almost all ocean view and spectacular...enjoy! Hope the weather is good for you too.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    There's one longer paved MUP that I know of over on the peninsula - it runs between Port Angeles and Sequim. More info can be found here: http://www.olympicbikeadventure.com/trailmap.html
    We did that route but towards the end on our return, I remember we went onto the secondary highway near path on our return back to Port Angeles which was nice and actually easier since the pavement seemed to not slow us down compared to the path.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

Thanks for the additional info TrekGranny and Shootingstar!

Unfortunately the weather is looking terrible At least a 70% to 30% chance of rain for every day we wanted to be out there. Tent camping in the rain forest is always a risk I guess. I don't think we've ever not had at least one day of rain when we've been out there!

I'm hanging on a shred of hope that the weather forecast might change in the next day or two

Jamis Citizen 1 Femme