Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Steel?

Steel?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Steel frame lovers step up.
    I have a nice Trek Carbon Fiber (WSD), but it's 6 yrs old and time for something new.
    I had picked out my Terry and was ready to go. Called my bike shop to be sure they would assemble and fit the bike as Terry arranges.
    My favorite bike guy now has me all confused.

He questioned my decision and said that if I were to purchase a steel frame, why not go with Serrota and get the "perfect fit"? I agree with the fit issue, but when I look at the website, I see too many decisions. I mean, do I really want to pick out my logo color?

My Trek does fit me pretty well. Many many miles of happiness, but as I age I feel things not felt before.... hips, shoulders, you name it.

Also, the Serrota is more expensive...(same with the Luna, out of price range).

Any one have experience with a Terry and can advise?
    Thanks!

you tell us. Have you fit comfortably before on an off the rack bike? I had trouble so I went custom.
    And oh gosh, it's fun to pick the colors!!!
    PS I love my steel bikes.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

They're all fine bikes, so it really comes down to what you want/need. What Terry bike are you considering and what is the frame material? How confident are you that the geometry will work for you? What about handling? How do you want the bike to ride?

Last I checked, Serotta was at the high end even for custom. There are a lot of good builders out there. If I were to go that route, I'd cast a larger net than just Luna or Serotta (although to be honest, Luna would make my own short list).
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by Trekie View Post
    He questioned my decision and said that if I were to purchase a steel frame, why not go with Serrota and get the "perfect fit"?
    I guess the question would be - can you get the perfect fit on a stock bike? Some of us can - in that case there is no need to go custom unless we want to pick colors and design. For other cyclists custom is a need - because the majority of stock bikes do not fit them properly.
    My suggestion would be to find out what is your perfect fit first - and then if a stock bike is what you need, then that's it, and if not consider custom.
    And of course come back here and show us the photos when you have your new bike
    E.'s website: www.earchphoto.com

2005 Bianchi 928C L'Una RC
    2010 BMC SLX01 racemaster
    2008 BMC TT03 Time Machine
    Campy Record and SSM Aspide naked carbon on all bikes

How about a Gunnar steel frame? Stock frames are around $800, custom geometry is $300 extra. (Prices may have changed a bit since I last looked). That's a pretty good price for a custom frame!

I have a custom Gunnar Sport and it's a great ride. (It was a custom for someone else, I got it on ebay, but it fits my quite well.)

There is a thread on Gunnar bikes....
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon

Mike DeSalvo makes a fine steel frame and is pretty reasonably priced and wait time isn't too bad either. Ride is great.

Out of curiosity, I just looked at Terry's current offerings, most of which appear to be in the range of $3500. Maybe I'm missing something, but from a price perspective, Luna (and any number of other steel builders) could put you on a custom complete bike for about the same amount of money as a complete Terry bike. That's not to say the OP shouldn't just stick with Terry, but if price the factor, she shouldn't rule out custom builders.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    I'm curious as to why your LBS has you entertaining the thought of a custom Serotta? Perhaps he sees the Terry as a bike with a higher price point given the components it has? As for the ride quality of steel, it will soak up the road noise and give you a smoother ride. After I retired my carbon fiber bike, I went back to steel and haven't regretted it.

What is your price point?
    That would give us an advisement base.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager