Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Talking Clipless Today, Brusied Tomorrow

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm so excited to say that I got clipped in last night. Came home, set up the bike in my living room, grabbed something for support and sat there all evening clipping in and out. Then tried moving across the room with one foot in, one out. That resulted in crashing into the wall, then later, crashing onto the floor. But I'm determined to get a grip on this clipless thing.

It's a brand new bike (Trek 4.5 Madone) and I'm still trying to figure that out, along with my mtb shoe and Shimano SPD's. I've been out on a mtb practiing hills, now I've got my beauty of a rb and dang ladies, it's alot for me to think about.

Now I'm open to hearing your tips and tricks to getting this right. I've been told to clip out early as I slow while approaching a stop. If I clip out early, where do your feet go? You can't dangle with loose feet cause gravity and body dynamics don't allow that.

Okay, I'll be back on the bike tonight one more time in the house, then tomorrow I'll hit the road.

Looking forward to your tips and what worked for you.

Big Dumb Excited Grin here

Chilly

Its much easier to practice clipping in and out outside while moving, clip one foot in (I do my right first) then push off while moving clip in the left. Its okay if you pedal a few times before it actually clicks in. Just be sure to unclip at least one foot before you come to a complete stop. It will become second nature before you know it! I was scared my first time, I've fell a handful of times, but now I'm much more confident and in time so will you! Practice practice practice!!

I just rest my unclipped foot on the pedal while approaching the stop. I can still pedal a little if needed.
    texascampgal
    Trek 2.3 WSD
    Cycling since 2008

Yep, if you have the tension adjusted loose enough, you can just sort of turn your heel slightly to unclip without ever moving your foot off of the pedal. If you feel more stable, just unclip one and pedal with the other one (if needed) as you approach a stop - just make sure you remember which one is unclipped as you go to step down!

No advice, just grinning thinking about your big ol' grin
    I'm not so lean and mean, but I am large and in charge!

Jamis Citizen 1 Femme

I tried the clip and practice in the house and fell so many times I was terrified that I would never get the hang of it. Once I went outside and tried it moving in a large wide open place, it was so easy. I too keep my unclipped foot just resting on the peddle. If I have to move I can until I can clip in. I also kept the tension on the lightest setting until I felt comfortable enough to tighten it.Have fun, you will notice a huge difference in your riding.
    2009 Dawes Lightning 1000/stock saddle

You'll get the hang of it in no time. Just remember scars are cool...also remember to not hurry into clipping in. You can always one leg pedal with the other leg on top until you have momentum to clip. Same goes for unclipping, unclip early and use the other leg to keep you moving or just put your shoes on top of the pedals.
    We need photos of the new Trek hotness!

I echo the others who say to get outside and moving - it's a lot easier than being in a confined space.
    One other thing, DON'T LOOK DOWN at your feet when you do it!!! If you do, you'll swerve all over and crash and fall - I know from experience
    I also rest my foot on the pedal after I unclip until I'm ready to put it down - I just put my foot a little further up so the pedal rest towards the middle/back half of my foot. Sometimes my cleats will re-click in, so I try to keep the cleat just in front of the pedal so I dont reclip in.
    Jenn K
    Centennial, CO
    Love my Fuji!

Also, don't forget your brakes! When you are clipping in, have full control of the bike and be ready to brake so it doesn't roll away before you are ready! When you unclip/stop make sure you are in control before you release the brake. If you focus, pay attention and have control of the bike, you will do fine! Also, try to get a pattern going where you always clip in starting with the same foot every time, and clip out on the opposite foot every time.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."

Thanks to all for the great tips. I'll be out on the streets tomorrow giving it my best shot.

Gulp. I bet you can see that "dear in the headlights" look on my face from there, can't ya?