Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Bike for medium touring/commuting

To disable ads, please log-in.

I want a comfortable (fairly relaxed geometry but not absolutely upright) steel bike for commuting and eventual touring. It will always carry a load, not always a really heavy one. Racks, panniers, lights, fenders, Brooks saddle... I've been looking at Luna Cycles. Anyone tour on one of these? It will also replace my Dew for commuting. I love the Dew but I'm tired of the jarring I get with all the cracks on the trail and uneven pavement around here.

I've started a bike fund. Any thoughts?

Deb
    2016 Kona Rove ST (M/L 54) WTB Volt
    Camp Stove Green Surly Karate Monkey (M) WTB Volt
    Kona Dew Deluxe (54cm) Brooks B67-S

Lunas are custom, so you give her your list of wishes and Margo provides (well as long as you don't ask for something outrageous, like say a 15lb racer than can do fully loaded touring on its off days....). It's not really like they have a set geometry or type of use.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

This will be my 50th birthday present. I'm so excited. It'll take me from now until then to save for it.

Deb

I'm also thinking of picking up a touring bike. I have a Bianchi Velochi that can handle some weight, but I know I will need a sturdier bike for some of the touring I'm dreaming about. I'm going to look at Surley, Trek and Cannondale bikes.
    We do not take a trip; a trip takes us - John Steinbeck

Dog, if you want a really cozy and intimate bike shopping experience, visit Free Range Cycles for the Surly test rides. (and check out Soma bikes while you're there)

Tiny (TINY) woman-owned shop, two wrenches. They only have room for maybe 3 customers inside the shop at a time. Most of the bikes are outside under the eaves, which is how anyone can fit inside the shop at all.

The woman who owns the shop is great to talk to, and she really knows bikes. She totally understands velo love. If you want to try, say, a Surly Cross Check but you know the saddle on it will kill yer butt, she will let you switch out the saddle (and the pedals if you bring them) for the test ride.

The wrenches are nice guys, very relaxed and a little goofy. They are bike nerds, and I love them.

www.freerangecycles.com

And after your ride you can go across the street to Theo's and eat chocolate!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Thanks KnottedYet. I plan to check out the store - soon! All I've done is work since my mini tour ride last September, so it is time to reward myself.

Made a contribution to the bike fund today. I've been doing a lot of research. Luna still keeps rising to the top of the list. Besides, being able to choose the color would be really cool!

Deb

I have a Surly Cross Check for exactly these reasons. Mostly commuting, gravel/trail rides, and eventually touring. I love it more than I can explain.
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    2003 Cannondale Bad Boy
    Motobecane Nobly (60's or 70's)

There are many great choices, but I'm partial to Bike Fridays myself. Great touring bikes, handle panniers and racks, steel frames, and yes, you can choose your color. DH and I did a 9-day self-supported tour back in 2004 on 'em with full panniers and racks, and they performed great in all ways. Now we're mainly using them for grocery store runs, but they work great for that too. You can build them with any type of handlebars you like (flat, touring, etc) since they're semi-custom.

In addition to be very utilitarian, they're also seriously fun to ride -- the small wheels make 'em super responsive and easy to get around obstacles. They accelerate really quickly too.

Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    I have a Surly Cross Check for exactly these reasons. Mostly commuting, gravel/trail rides, and eventually touring. I love it more than I can explain.
    Me, too.

I replaced my Kona Dew for the same reasons BHB is considering, and got a Surly Cross Check (like so many others have).

Changed my bars, etc, and now I have a bike I just love in so many ways!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I've been looking a bit at Masi cross bikes. I'm not sure yet exactly what I want — although I know I want steel. I also want to avoid toe overlap as much as possible. It is really pronounced on my Dew. The LBS put on a double crank for me today. I'm already liking it much better. Shifts much easier and more gears in the range I prefer.

Deb

Hi Deb

I have recently upgraded from my Kona Dew Plus and now have a Salsa
    Casseroll triple. It was a toss up between the Masi cross/randonneur, a Surly crosscheck and the Salsa. I tried them all. I liked them all. The Salsa ended up winning because I ended up buying it for 1800 AUD instead of its original listed price as 2500 AUD. I have whacked a tubus logo rack on it, changed the stem to a slight riser, saddle to a brooks and have lots of blinky flashy things for riding at night (I'm a shift worker). I LOVE IT. I had intended to still use the Kona for shopping runs but the Salsa has taken over those duties aswell. Now the weather is getting better here I'm planning a few weekend trips with it.

Oh by the way, as much as I love the Salsa I do think the Masi looks hot!

Kazz
    Kona Dew Plus
    Salsa Casseroll triple

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    I'm also thinking of picking up a touring bike. I have a Bianchi Velochi that can handle some weight, but I know I will need a sturdier bike for some of the touring I'm dreaming about. I'm going to look at Surley, Trek and Cannondale bikes.
    Good choices, you might want to check out the Jamis Aurora or Aurora Elite. I bought the Elite last year and love it, a couple of TE members have the Aurora too. Nice bike at a nice price.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05072010666.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	12046  
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been."

http://www.loveofbikes.com

Thanks Slash - I'll add the Aurora to the list. I still haven't had time to look other than visit web sites. I definitely plan to purchase before next spring! Christmas is coming.....