Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Advice please, purchasing first bike in 20 years!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am 59 years old and have not ridden a bike for 15-20 years. Back then I had two bikes--a road bike with drops and shimano 600 components and an old specialized street stomper city bike. The road bike was fairly light, but I always hated the riding position--it creeped me out to be on the drops and I didn't like having my feet "confined" with pedal cages or clip-in pedals but I tried them anyway. The city bike was heavy and took energy just to lift to the curb, but I liked the more upright riding position and the fact that I could wear any kind of sneaker on the open pedals without worrying whether I could get my feet in or out fast enough. When riding on moderate bike path hills, I had better gears on the city bike but due to weight and wider tires it killed me to go up a hill. With the road bike I didn't have that great of gears but hills were easier because of the lighter weight.

Now I want a new bike and would like to see if I can ride again. I have no cardiovascular conditioning whatsoever and no riding partner that's at my fitness or ability level, but I'm going to give it a try. I know I won't keep up with it unless I get a GREAT bike. It must feel mostly like a road bike and be very lightweight. I want really good components because I can't stand things that don't work smoothly and effortlessly, and I want a more upright position with no drops. I need a stable (not twitchy like my old road bike) smooth ride and I want to "almost" keep up with roadies on paved trails. I don't anticipate doing any off-road things.

I am looking on the internet and have researched the Specialed Vita Comp, the men's Specialized Sirrus Comp, Trex FX 7.5, Giant Dash 1. Stores in town carry all 3 of these but no higher models. In fact they only have the Sirrus Comp (mens) not the Vita Comp. The Trek dealer has a reputation of bad service and that may keep me from doing business there.

I am 5-3 in height, but have short legs. One bike store was pushing me to buy a men's XS Sirrus Comp but I am concerned about how that compares to the womens vita. They said to ride it and see how it feels, but I am a bit timid from not riding for decades and therefore anything I ride will feel weird. The Giant doesn't seem to have as good components, and there they recommended I get a women's xs. I am going to test these this coming weekend, but would like advice from those more experienced before I go. I don't want to waste money getting more than I need since I'm in no condition at all, but I know if I don't get a higher end model that's light enough and has nice enough components I'll hate it and then won't ride. I don't want something I'll grow out of if I like it.

I used to ride with my husband years ago, but he's way way way beyond my level now and we'll never be able to ride together, plus he has no patience.

Please advise me on these models and any others I should consider. Also, if you have opinions about whether I should try the mens XS Sirrus Comp since that store does not have (or apparently carry) the Vita Comp.

I will be riding mostly in-town and rural paved bike paths unless I get good enough to ride paved bike paths in the mountains. Those a a whole other story with lots of climbing.

Thanks!
    Last edited by deskrider; 08-24-2010 at 03:12 PM.

HI. Welcome to TE...
    I'm sure you will get LOTS of great advice here...from very experienced riders...which I am not...but as I was reading your post, it did occur to me that you might want to consider a touring bike...which is a road bike with a little more upright geometry. ANd gearing for varied terrain.
    I have a Jamis Aurora (I have a short inseam: 28") and I like it very much...I think Jamis makes really nice bikes for the price and they have a nice variety
    of road bikes.
    I like the silky ride of steel myself....over the lightness of aluminum and Jamis makes some steel road bikes.

It's exciting!! Isn't it!?
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

Welcome to TE and back into the fun world of cycling. It sounds like you have done your homework and are prepared for your bicycle shopping trip. I agree that steel is a very sweet ride over aluminum so don't rule that out. With your height and proportions, I would be very careful about what size bike the shop recommends and don't let them sell you a bike to make a sale.

I would go ride a lot of bikes and see which one you like riding the most and feel the most comfortable on. Shopping is part of the fun and you will learn a lot as you compare one to the other. There are a lot of knowledgeable women on here that can help you with your decision.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

I gave my mom a Vita Comp for Mother's Day. She is 4'9" and 67 years old and she is in love with her bike. Prior to that, she was riding an early 90's Fuji mtn bike that she picked up when she lived in CO...it weighs a ton. She rarely rode it more than 15 miles. The Vita has great gearing and she spins up hills with it. The position works well for her. She can do 30 miles on it, and is less fatigued than when she rode her old bike. The bike is an XS and looks like it is all wheels. I must say that she is also adorable on it (photo below)...but I'm just a proud daughter.

Try to do as many test rides as you can...and more than a spin around the parking lot. I like your focus to get a bike that you can grow into. You want to love it, so that you will ride, and you will get your fitness back before you know it.

Keep us posted about your return to cycling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MombyLake.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	11831  
    1972 Schwinn Paramount
    2006 Serotta Coeur d'Acier
    2007 Holland Exogrid
    2008 Salsa Casseroll
    2010 Scott Contessa 20