Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boston Wounded Warrior Ride 9/4

To disable ads, please log-in.

I will be doing this ride with DH on the Saturday of Labor Day Weekend. It's a very worthwhile cause. It's $50.00 to register and you don't have to raise any money, although you can if you want. The ride starts from the Minuteman Park Visitor center by the North Bridge in Concord. You have a choice of riding between 15 and 61.5 miles, but no matter what, it's on familiar roads to most of you.
    Please consider joining me; we can have a TE group!

http://www.kintera.org/faf/home/defa...?ievent=428048
    Last edited by Crankin; 08-23-2010 at 04:01 PM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

That sounds awesome! I'm thinking about signing up, but now I'm a little worried about the hurricane that might be hitting us that weekend!
    "By perseverance the snail reached the ark."

Well, it does look a little "iffy" with the timing of the hurricane, but it looks like that the impact around here will be minimal, compared to he Cape. Since I live about 3 miles from the start, I'm just going to keep an eye on it. Obviously, if it's gusting to 40 mph or the streets are filled with debris, I'll stay home.

PS Where in Acton do you live? I do most of my riding in that direction... used to live in Boxborough and both my kids went to AB.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I've been keeping an eye on the weather and it's not looking too bad for Saturday right now. My weather app is actually showing that it will be 75 and sunny (fingers crossed). A little rain doesn't bother me, though. I find I have more endurance and speed in the rain (less sweating maybe?), but tropical storm conditions might put a damper on the occasion.

I live in West Acton, but I do most of my riding in the Strawberry Hill/Concord/Carlisle area. I might venture into Boxborough and Littleton if I want a hillier ride.

I graduated AB in 2005. Any chance I know your kids?

Oh yea, you probably know my kids... one graduated in 2003 and one in 2001. Scott and Josh, last name begins with M.
    Funny, since i moved to Concord (my street is actually right off of Strawberry Hill Rd) I find riding around here extremely boring. I guess it's because except for the Lowell-Monument St. loop and then to Great Brook Farm, there's no places to "explore." Most of the other streets, off of the main ones, are dead ends. Plus, it's extremely crowded with other riders, especially on weekends.
    I am so glad I started riding when I lived closer to Harvard and the bigger hills, because it seems normal to me (although I am not that fast!).
    I am doing the ride, because Scott is a Marine. Yes, the only living graduate from AB who dropped out of college to join the military .
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Hmm I don't think I know your boys. My brother was in the class of '03 though so he may. I guess it's pretty easy not to know everyone in such a big school. There were even a handful of faces in my own year that I didn't recognize at graduation!

You're lucky those big hills don't scare you! I get nervous just planning a route that goes toward Nagog Hill or Nashoba Road by that apple orchard (can't remember what it's called). I guess that just goes to show that climbing is just as much a psychological battle as a physical one!

You might be right. I don't know if I've met another AB grad who joined the military instead of college. I hope he's doing well. My sister recently got back from a tour in Afghanistan and is due to be deployed again at the end of next year (though she may be able to avoid that by having another baby!) I also have a cousin currently in Afghanistan, another cousin going to Iraq next month (second tour) and a third who will be deployable within the next year. Scary! Fortunately none have been injured in combat; although my sister dislocated her shoulder tripping over a sandbag on her way to the bathroom in Afghanistan. Ironic

Nagog Hill is 3 parts, but yes, it's hard, but now it seems normal to me. The way to deal with hills like that is to get in your lowest gear and spin up. Who cares how fast you go? Then, you can work on increasing your speed, if you want. I remember the first time I rode up Nashoba Rd., coming from Central St. I think my DH had to give me an assist, by pushing me with the back of his hand! But, it is mostly psychological once you know you have a certain amount of strength and endurance.
    Your brother probably knows Scott. We also had an exchange student who went to AB for a semester, who is a cyclist (was a pro in Germany and now is in school in Colorado) who he might remember. Scott was just a normal (well... sort of) AB kid who did very well in HS, as well as being a top ranked junior level cyclist. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be riding. He's married and living in San Diego and is going to Afghanistan in October. Been to Iraq twice, as well as Spain and Cuba, and that little thing in Lebanon.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

How did the ride go? I'm regretting not signing up now. The weather was pretty nice! I went out for a short ride in the afternoon but the head and crosswinds had me heading back a few miles sooner than I planned.

The ride was good; I wrote about it in the 9/4 rides thread. The start was a little hairy, where we all went out together, across both lanes of Monument St., through the center and over to Rt. 62 toward Bedford. But, after that, it was uneventful. There was quite a cross section of riders. It was slightly ho-hum for us, as it was on roads we ride a lot... although there were a couple of places that we were coming from the opposite direction that we usually do, so it seemed different.
    It still seemed a little hot and humid from the storm when we were riding, and the wind didn't really pick up until the afternoon, when we were already home. I am recovering from a sinus infection, so I didn't feel that great during the first part of the ride, when I was hammering to keep up with DH. Finally, I gave up on that, but I was still going fast. After I got to Ferns for the rest stop, I slowed down a bit.
    If you ever are interested in riding, I will be free on Wednesdays and Fridays starting this week, as well as weekends.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I'd love to do some evening rides if you're up for it. I'm a little bit of a newbie on the roads though (I switched over from mountain biking about a month ago). My longest ride so far has been 30 miles and I tend to average between 14-16mph. I don't want to slow you down or keep you from going as far as you usually do!

I actually work on Strawberry Hill (Acton side) so it would probably be pretty easy to meet up if I bring my bike to work. I get out at 5, so if that's too early I don't mind driving home then riding back a little later (it's only about 5 miles).

I will PM you....
    My average is about the same as yours and usually if it's an evening ride, I don't go that far.
    My schedule is kind of weird, since I am in school and doing an internship in Lowell part time. On Mondays, I will be getting home around 6:45, so unless you have a light that's out. Tuesday I have class after work, so I am not home from Cambridge until after 7:15. Thursday I have to go to an evening class.
    I am off on Wednesday and Fridays. I try to ride in the day, especially as the weather gets cooler, but Wednesdays would work, if I don't do my group ride (at this time of year, that doesn't happen too often, as I actually have to study or write!).It would make sense for you to bring your bike and maybe drive to my house to start. I am at the other end of Strawberry Hill, the street with the stupid 3 way stop sign. It's a *big* hill and I live almost at the top .
    You must work at the vet's or the counseling office?
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Actually I'm a nanny, so I work in one of the houses at the top of the hill. I take care of a toddler and sometimes he likes to stand at the top of Strawberry Hill and watch cyclists climb up. I have to say I enjoy that, too

Wednesdays work well for me while there's still daylight. I do have a light, but it doesn't stop me from feeling anxious during rush hour, even on back roads! Bringing my bike to work is no problem. I wish I could ride to work, but I need to have my car with me to drive the kiddo around town.

So I just made a really exciting discovery and now I NEED to ask you, does your son Josh know Evie Stevens?? I found out earlier today she was from Acton, so I looked in my brother's 2001 yearbook and there she was! I know a lot of people probably wouldn't care about something like this, but this is a really exciting day for me! I found out that I almost went to high school with my hero, haha. Missed her by a year. Oh well, just thought I'd ask!

Yes, he knows her! They weren't friends or anything, but he had some classes with her. He said she was "very athletic."
    Duh.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

are any of you doing this ride in 2011? I wanted to but my riding partner has a ride he is really looking forward to on the same day...what are the odds.
    "I cannot endure to waste anything as precious as autumn sunshine by staying in the house. So I spend almost all the daylight hours in the open air." -Nathaniel Hawthorne