Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

My Iron Girl Story

To disable ads, please log-in.

Background:
    Last year, my third year of triathlon, was to be the year I did my first Oly distance race. However, starting in June as I ramped up the running my Achilles started hurting. I tried to change my stride and my training schedule but by the end of July I stopped running altogether. My race, in September, was a Swim, Bike, quit. It really killed me to do that.

Fall was 8 weeks of physical therapy and then my VERY cautious return to running, starting with weeks of only walking. By the time it was time to start planning this year's schedule I had no idea how my heel would be, so I planned a few Aquabikes and some relays, and Iron Girl as my first race with a run. With each running setback I just kept thinking "I have until Iron Girl to get it together."

My races this year have largely been disappointments. With the aquabikes it was nice to actually complete a race without having to run, but they left me feeling a little empty, like I hadn't finished the job. The relays were fun (once as biker, once as swimmer) but there's too much waiting around.

For the last month or two, the running was finally feeling good again, and the speed was starting to come back. I was still struggling with the mental part of believing myself to be healed and able to run without thinking about my heel.

Seventeen days before Iron Girl I crashed on my commuter bike on a wet road; I went down on my right side, bruised my hip, hit my head, but was largely free of any real road rash. I did lose a few days of training and I lost my last chance to do a brick on the Iron Girl course. So, by yesterday I knew I was ready, but not as ready as I wanted to be. But, I was SO looking forward to doing a WHOLE TRIATHLON! Not an aquabike, not a relay.

Race Day:
    raining and cool, but humid

My targets:
    Swim: 25:00
    T1: 2:30
    Bike: 1:04:00
    T2: 1:30
    Run: 34:00 (10 min/miles)

Swim:
    My swim time was posted as 7:35, so imagine my surprised as I headed to the water at 7:28 and saw my wave already in the water! Into the water with no time to think, and then we were off! There was the usual body contact (but not as bad as what I experienced last week at North East during my relay swim). There was more sea grass floating around than I've ever experienced, but I've trained myself to "Just keep swimming!" I swam and sighted pretty well. Swim time: 25:53

T1:
    I was fast and efficient and onto the bike in 2:02

Bike:
    The Iron Girl bike route is quite hilly and challenging but I've ridden it 20-30 times and I know (and love) every inch of it. My plan was to attack the hills and hold back on the descents. With the wet, and congested roads extra caution was needed. Overall, I had a great ride and it almost felt easy. It went by in such a blur. Bike time: 1:02:59 (third fastest ever on the route)

T2:
    I got slowed down by soggy socks: 1:38

Run:
    I knew that the run was going to hurt, and it did. Again, this is a hilly and challenging route. I was determined not to walk any of it; I succeeded, but there were some uphills where my run was hardly different from a walk. The infamous "Gatorade Hill" nearly broke me, but once I got past it I knew that it was literally all downhill from there. My last challenge was the cramping that was starting to hit me in the hamstrings but I refused to give in to that! Finally, into the finish chute and DONE! Run time: 34:11

Total time: 2:06:42
    Age group rank: 50/235
    Overall: 347/1780
    (Bike was 276 overall, T1 was 73 overall)

Best race ever! This was my first race where I put together a good swim, good bike, and good run! Wow, what an experience!
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Good job hitting your projected times! And congrats on putting it all together.

Congratulations! It must have felt great to have everything come together for you like that!

And yeah, I don't know what was up with the sea grass yesterday. It was pretty disgusting.

Sarah

Wow, nice job. You really hit your targets just about dead on, which is really sweet considering you had to come back from an injury and this is your first race with a run in a year (wow, that's a long time).

Congratulations! And welcome back to races with runs.

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    Overall: 347/1780
    Bike time: 1:02:59 (third fastest ever on the route)
    Not too shabby. Congratulations
    Last edited by Zen; 08-23-2010 at 03:28 PM.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

THat is awesome!!! I hope you are feeling good right now!!!
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

Congratulations. You set reachable goals and put forth a great race in wet conditions. Most excellent!!

"You can't get what you want till you know what you want." Joe Jackson

2006 Cannondale Feminine/Ultegra/Jett

2012 Trek Speed Concept 9.5/Ultegra/saddle TBD

Congratulations on a fabulous race! It boggles my mind to think of that many people out on that length of a course.